6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CRUX ARK 30 - first suppressor kill & shot noise ??

I waited the long wait for my CRUX ARK 30 then went to shooting when it came in.

I was aware that there would be a sonic crack to be heard unless shooting subs, but didn't plan on needing hearing protection with a 16" barreled 6.8- which is where I was at day one. This can only tones the sound of the shot down to a sharp crack, that still causes ears to ring when shooting directly next to a tree line.

I e-mail 'Templar tactical' asking if this was normal- with no reply,
so I called and asked the gun shop that sold me the can if this was normal.

The gun shop worker told me to shoot ~100 rounds through it and it should get quieter and explained that it was considered hearing safe since the time exposed to the high decibel noise was so short.

So I ordered a thread adapter and screwed it onto a 556 to save money with this "break in" procedure.

VID-

Afterward I put the can back on my 68 and a bystander said it was Ok with 115 fusions, but definitely louder with the federal 90gr factory loads (gold dot / fusion- white box stuff).

Luckily for me the next morning while walking to my stand I came across this sow who provided me with my first before daylight shot and no hearing protection required kill.
115 fusions

Pic-

The shot report when out in the open was much more tolerable with no ear ringing.
Just a Speeeww/ thud - with each shot.

Could the proximity of the tree line be clouding my judgment on the amount of noise still being created?

Do all 30 cal cans coming out of a 556 (shooting 223's) sound like that?

Thanks & God bless.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The Crux is a great suppressor, I run the ARK30 and the Archangel and have zero complaints. Anytime that something is around or above you the perceived sound will be louder. This is true with an unsuppressed rifle as well, just don't notice it as much because the ears are already ringing!! If i'm at the range shooting suppressed I still wear hearing protection due to the metal roof above me.

Usually a 5.56 out of a 30 cal can will be louder due to the larger bore size.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Sounds normal to me, for max suppression go with the longest tube. I have a Archangel also and love it along with the other 9" cans. I swap to the 5" can for a shorter overall length but there is a big difference in sound.

I think a 7" can is a good choice if you could only have one. I have a SAS Reaper in jail and hope it won't be long.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have an ARK 30 and have no issues without hearing protection with my 12.5" 6.8 or my 10.5" 556 shooting outdoors. I have their brake attachment on the 6.8 and flash hider attachment on the 556.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yah I was a little surprised when standing next to a suppressed (about 8 feet away) 12.5 barreled 6.8 shooting 120gr SSTs. It rung my ears! I don't remember what can Wassman is running but the pig died, so all is good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I find my 12.5" 6.8 to be hearing safe when running it with my aac 762-sdn-6 can. I'm sure the tree line didn't help any, but I've shot mine inside of many deer blinds with no ringing what so ever.

As for the sonic crack, you will never get rid of that with the 223 and a little bit with the 6.8. You can suppress the boom, but the crack of the bullet going supersonic cant be muffled really. It is all still better, and quieter than shooting unsuppressed.

I blame Hollywood for making everyone think that shooting suppressed will be like hearing a pin drop.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Fwiw, I use a Sliencer Co Omega on my 16" 6.8 and an YHM ULT on my 11.5" 6.8, they both work fine for hunting without ear pro since volume of shooting is relatively low. But I wear ear pro when shooting at the range.

The echo of the sonic crack off a nearby treeline definitely increases perceived volume.

JPK

·
Registered
112 Posts
is the video a 16" 223 through the ARK 30?

What do you think of the ARK now? And have you shot anything subsonic through it?

I have a crux on order and was planning on making the ARK 30 my next purchase specifically for my ARP 12.5 6.8.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is the video a 16" 223 through the ARK 30?

What do you think of the ARK now? And have you shot anything subsonic through it?

I have a crux on order and was planning on making the ARK 30 my next purchase specifically for my ARP 12.5 6.8.

Thanks
John
Yes on the 16" .223.

Like I mentioned above, I shot the sow with 3 rounds of 6.8 115 gr fusion that weren't that loud when standing in the open. No ear ringing with those 3 shots.

I also plan on mounting this can on a 12.5 ARP barrel and doubt it will be non hearing protection safe with that short of a barrel, but I have yet to do so- therefore any comment would be speculative.

In order to provide a more informed criticism I would need to shoot it alongside other cans to obtain a better comparison.

The gun shop selling the Crux highly recommend the muzzle attachment, I declined and went direct thread. That may have provided better noise reduction (he claimed it would).

Offhand I think a longer or fatter tube would have provided a quieter shot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe i missed it, but .223's from a .30 can would be louder than .223's from a .223 can.

As others have said, getting away from immediate cover or other surrounding objects reduces noise substantially for the shooter.

Shot report diminishes rapidly downrange almost regardless of surroundings.

The practical consideration for suppressors is that sonic crack noise in the impact zone gives very little indication of the direction from which the shot came.

lastly, the quietest cans I have experienced in the smallish/medium size range have been gemtechs.

My .02.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not always, as the larger internal volume often cancels out the oversized bore...and the .30 cal can often has a lower tone, which most people find more pleasant.
Interesting thought, never tried it personally. I've seen 556 run through 30 cans, but we weren't really doing noise comparisons at the time.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Interesting thought, never tried it personally. I've seen 556 run through 30 cans, but we weren't really doing noise comparisons at the time.
Same concept with shooting 9mm through a 45 can. Loss of suppression with bigger bore is canceled out by gain due to larger volume. (This is assuming you're talking a .223/.308 or 9/45 version of the same suppressor)

It's also why you see 45 cans with available 9 end caps, and 7.62 cans with available 5.56 end caps (not to mention some of the other modular cans, like the Optimus which can handle 9mm and includes a 22 end cap for 22LR or 5.56).

all my Form 1 cans have baffles bore out enough to handle a .30 round, but I made up for it with 5.56 and 6.8 end caps...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just shot my pm ark30 for the first time last weekend. I was shooting the 7mm var with 168's and no hearing pro was needed. The vid is on YouTube. It was pleasant.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just shot my pm ark30 for the first time last weekend. I was shooting the 7mm var with 168's and no hearing pro was needed. The vid is on YouTube. It was pleasant.
What mount are you using? Can you throw the mount and suppressor on a scale? I get conflicting info on the weights.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have an ARk 30 and a scale. I use the brake on my 6.8 and the flash hider mount on my 10.5" 556. Give me a few and I'll add he ARK 30 weight.

It weighed in at 12.55 ounces. My brake and flash hider are mounted and don't really want to remove them to weigh.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
CRUX ARK 30 - first suppressor kill & shot noise ??

Just for grins, here is the can in question in use last week.
Still not real happy with it.

Oops, guess I should post the results of the shot-

Fed fusions, heart shot- ~50 yd track.

·
Registered
677 Posts
For some reason, the 6.8 seems to be loud through everything that I've heard it through.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts