6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a Redding 6.5 Grendel bushing die with a .264 bushing to try and form Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass into 6mm Grendel brass and I am crushing the necks. What can I do to keep this from happening? Thank in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
406 Posts
When using a bushing die to neck down brass you'll find that it must be done in steps, usually no more than .008-.010 at a time

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree, you are sizing too much at one time. Also, if you find you still get bad necks going no more than .010 inch at a time, you might try annealing the case necks. When I do my 5.56 x 42 (6.8 based) I anneal before starting and only go about .005 at a time and anneal again when I am done. However, on the 6 x 43 (6.8 based) and 6.5 x 43 (6.8 based) I only anneal when I get done. IMO you should not have to anneal on the 6mm to form the cases but I'd still do it when I get done. Also, and possibly most importantly, use a good sizing wax like Imperial. I have been wildcatting for over 50 years and Imperial sizing wax is a gift from God. And lube EVERY case. You don't need much but you do need to lube every case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts