6.8 SPC Forums banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yup, another noob posting his build. :a01: First some background info: I've owned a few shotguns and handguns, but this will be my first rifle. I primarily want it for home defense. Secondarily I want to be able to casually hunt and do LOTS of medium range (100-200yds, is medium to me) target practice. Tell me if there's anything at all you think I've picked that is flat out wrong or that you'd do differently. If it's just down right a horrible setup, please say so. I'm completely ignorant (but spending lots of time researching and trying to learn!)

This is what I'm looking at getting:
--Upper: AR15Performance 6.8 XT/ PRI Gen III 12" (with the Troy Flip sights added)
--Lower(*see below): Essential Arms (stripped lower) and Essential Arms Lower Parts Kit
--Magpul PRS stock and stock kit
--Magpul MIAD handgrip (so I can change out for my big hands and my wife's small hands)
--EOTech 552.A65/1 optics
--Primary Arms 3x Magnifier with their flip mount
--LaserMax LMS-UNI Laser Sight UNI Red Laser
--Harris HBRMS Bi-Pod (with picatinny adapter and swivel lock)
--Smith Enterprises Vortex Flash Eliminator
--6.8 SPC Lasered Dust Cover :a01:
--Magpul MS2 Multi-Mission Sling
--Magpul Enchanced Trigger Guard
--either a RRA NM Two Stage Trigger or a Bill Springfield Tuned Single Stage Trigger (no clue which type I should go with, the 2stage for better accuracy? single stage for quick reacting defensive situations?)
--Surefire G2
--VLTOR offset scout mount for the surefire
--Tango Down battlegrip (quick disconnect)
--and eventually a class3 license and silencer, though I've done ZERO research on this. - it's hot where I live and i'm fat and I don't like having to wear ear protection lol.

Thoughts/comments? Don't hold back, I have thick skin and have no problem admitting I'm completely new to this. Sooooo many options and soooo much information out there.

Thanks for your time,
Keith

*Question about lowers: I'm looking for one that doesn't have a company logo etched on the side, are there such? I'd really like to get a "6.8 Inside" logo put on it. :a31:

· Registered
7,772 Posts
I wouldnt have a PRS stock on it, they are heavy anddesigned for longer barreled rifles, I would go with a collapsible, maybe a UBR (good luck finding one) or just any old collabsible. I have a PRS and I love it but its not for a 16 inch rifle..... For a good trigger I dont think you can beat bills reworking, if you want a two stage the RRA is suppose to be decent but the geissele is the best out there... I have a timney 4lb and it is nice single stage but you need to get the AR10 hammer and spring for it.

· Registered
741 Posts
I can see using a short barreled rifle (SBR) for HD, but I don't quite see it for hunting/medium range shooting.

Are you allowed to hunt with something like this?

Light triggers and HD guns are not a good mix.

And I think with a 12" barrel, it requires a Class III license, too. Unless it's a pistol.

Jim

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

· Registered
7,772 Posts
No worries, also I personally am not a huge fan of lasers, they look cool but if you have any type of optic just use that

Flashlights are good especially since it is going to be a house gun,

All lowers have the company logo on them, thats just the way it goes, if you want a 6.8 laser etch maybe talk to Spikes or someone a few companies do laser etching on the other side of the magwell.. The broom handle is ok but I am still unconvinced on them, they are great for full auto guns and I know a ton of guys like them, I have had one on my rig for a while and I am still getting use to it.... seems to slow me down when I mag change, I need to keep working on it I suppose...

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The laser was solely for when I wake up in the middle of the night with someone breaking in and I can point and fire without having to sight him down. Though at that close of a range it prolly wouldn't be an issue anyway... heh. (Not to mention the 9mm on my wife's night stand and the .44magnum on mine). May dump the laser to save some $$

Thanks for the lower info.

Edit: A friend brought up a good point for the laser is being able to hand the gun off to someone with no shooting experience and say 'put the red dot on them, and pull the trigger' - like if you got hurt or something and needed someone else to take it. Granted this is a stretch that it'd happen but still...

· Registered
4,021 Posts
If you were going with a barrel 20inches or longer, I would go with the PRS. If you are going with the 16inch barrel, a CTR, or an ACS would be good, or your choice of collapsible stock.

Sound like a very nice build. I have the Essentia Arms lower and it is a good piece.

· Registered
5,565 Posts
Agree with using other than the great PRS stock. Magpul CTR, VLTOR EMOD are two options that are comfortable and still priced reasonably. If you're not sure of which stock to get, you can buy a regular Milspec M4 stock from Bravo Co and have a decent stock for less dough.

The Surefire G2 will work fine for a light but pay a few bucks extra for the LED which gives longer battery life if you need to use it, and LEDs are much more rugged and a better choice for a firearm.

Or... the high performance LED combos from Tactical Night Vision since you're saving a little money on your stock purchase. Divert a little of the savings to a higher performing light?

http://tacticalnightvision.com/illumination.htm

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
sredish and OC455: Thanks for the comments and recommendations!
ArtFWTx: Again, my bad for not providing enough info, I did plan on getting the LED version. But thank you for the link, I was wondering about a good alternative to surefire!
I'll look into that CTR stock - what about their MOE one, why is it so much cheaper?

P.S. This forum rocks hard.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
I wouldnt have a PRS stock on it, they are heavy anddesigned for longer barreled rifles, I would go with a collapsible, maybe a UBR (good luck finding one) or just any old collabsible. I have a PRS and I love it but its not for a 16 inch rifle..... For a good trigger I dont think you can beat bills reworking, if you want a two stage the RRA is suppose to be decent but the geissele is the best out there... I have a timney 4lb and it is nice single stage but you need to get the AR10 hammer and spring for it.
I have to agree, I owned a PRS and sold it. Its a good stock for shooting prone or some stationary shooting, but for constant carry or hunting, I dont think its a great option.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
ArtFWTx: Again, my bad for not providing enough info, I did plan on getting the LED version. But thank you for the link, I was wondering about a good alternative to surefire!
I'll look into that CTR stock - what about their MOE one, why is it so much cheaper?

Thanks, we try to make this place decent for everyone. Welcome to the fray.

· Registered
165 Posts
the CTR and MOE are more or less the same except the CTR has a friction lock that will lock the stock onto the tube for no rattle / wiggle and it the CTR has a quick disconnect sling mount where the MOE has neither. MOE is a good stock and choice of many but the friction lock helps solidify the stock to the tube.

· Registered
2,069 Posts

The G2 LED version sucks... The tint is horrible... Runtime is not the supposed 12 hours... and it's not that bright... Buy a normal incan version or a SF 6P, as the metal is a better heatsink and can handle very high output lamps like an MC-E or P7 LED (400-900 lumens), and then get a dereelight or malkoff drop-in... You will have a nicer flashlight than 95% of people... And not to mention anywhere from 150-500+ lumens at the LED...

http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-mod-dropins-to-fit-surefire-c-1_14.html

· Registered
341 Posts
I've got a G2L and I love that thing, very light, very bright, and I have yet to change the batteries in it after normal use for over 6 months, my other surefires last maybe a month of normal use. All of the people that have seen it in action say, "Damn that thing is bright" or "OWWWWWW, turn it off" I figure that is plenty of lumens to temporarily blind someone at night.

· Registered
165 Posts
My G2 LED is very picky about the batteries. Good batteries like Surefire, they'll last 6 to 8 months of decent usage; std. Energizers don't give it enough oomph, maybe I'm using the wrong kind of energizers or something but I use Surefire batteries in it. I like mine, it's not my weapon light, it's my by the bed quick grab light. I have an Olight M20 on my weapon and in my carry bag and that mofo is BRIGHT, has 3 brightness settings and a strobe, solid metal, I could beat somebody with it if need be but it's not much bigger than the G2. :)

· Registered
209 Posts
As others may have already said:

Save some money and ditch the laser. Your EoTech fills that roll perfectly.

Get the ACS, UBR, CTR, or MOE instead of the PRS.

Get a Surfire 6P with an aftermarket LED upgrade instead of the G2 (I've got a kick ass bright LED upgrade for $20 shipped that's supposed to be 290lumens. I don't know how many lumens it actually is but it's bright as hell! I've blown incandescent bulbs in both Surfires and Pentagon lights and this cheap $20 conversion has out lasted both of those put together! I think there's a guy on arfcom, in the new EE selling the $20 290 lumen conversions.

Get a Geissele SSA 2-stage trigger instead of the RRA or Bill Springfield. I love my RRAs' but I would only trust 1 of them for HD use, the others are just too light.

Ditch the 3X magnifier. If you're only shooting 200yds there's no magnification needed. Now if you were going to be shooting 400+ yds regularly then the magnifier would be money well spent.

Ditch the bipod for the same reasons as stated above.

Replace the vltor offset light mount with a larue with the money you saved by not getting the bipod, PRS, 3X magnifier, and laser.

Get a larue mount for the EoTech too.

.....AND this is just from what I've been reading on the errornet but maybe go Aimpoint over the EoTech until EoTech's QC gets a little better. How often do you hear about an Aimpoint failing? Now how about an EoTech? I've shot both and they both do have their pluses and minuses but for HD you want something that works no matter what! Aimpoint it the obvious choice. I'd recommend the T-1 or ML3. Dont forget to get Larue or BOBRO QD mounts for it too.

· Registered
66 Posts
I have to bet the umpteenth person to say that the PRS is probably not the best idea for this build. It is a great stock, and I have one on my 20" gun, but something like a Vltor mod-stock or Magpul CTR would be better.

Also you might want to look at the Tango Down AR specific bi-pod. http://www.botachtactical.com/tangodownbipod.html

As far as the rest goes, I am a big fan of a laser for HD, because if I am awakened in the middle of the night I have more faith in my ability to hit the pressure tape on my laser that is zeroed at 50 yards than I am at my ability to get my optic turned on.

Also I would need the magnifier if shooting 200 yards a lot, I only shoot that far with a scoped rifle because of my bad eyesight. I suppose that plenty could argue you don't need it but you know your abilities, cater your build to them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.