6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if or how you guys crimp this round. I prefer to crimp, and I use Lee factory crimp dies instead of the seater/crimp die for my other rounds. I'm guessing because the Lee crimp dies go off the projectile and not the case, that a .204 size die is what I need. Also has anybody used Tac powder for their loads. I will be shooting 40g Hornady vmax bullets. I'm going on a PD hunt in a couple of weeks and I'm finding loads with other powders but not Tac. I will try other combos later, but right now that is what I have in bulk to use. I can't seem to find the original 20p thread. Thanks

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Just wondering if or how you guys crimp this round. I prefer to crimp, and I use Lee factory crimp dies instead of the seater/crimp die for my other rounds. I'm guessing because the Lee crimp dies go off the projectile and not the case, that a .204 size die is what I need. Also has anybody used Tac powder for their loads. I will be shooting 40g Hornady vmax bullets. I'm going on a PD hunt in a couple of weeks and I'm finding loads with other powders but not Tac. I will try other combos later, but right now that is what I have in bulk to use. I can't seem to find the original 20p thread. Thanks
The 204 crimp die would work but in thousands of 20 Tac and 20 Pravc rounds I have shot crimping has never been done. Load data from teh 20 Tactical is directly transferable and you even a a smidgen more room at the top. Accurate gives some data on their board for TAC. I have shot the 27.0 and a 32 grain Sierra. I have never had that great of luick with the 40 Hornady for some reason compared to the Sierra. One bullet that is also super on PD's in the Berger 35. I used it last year and it devastating on them

Greg

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you have a 223 Lee factory crimp die, you should be able to swap in a 204 collet and crimp fine.
Like Greg, I also do not crimp.
A buddy loads 32 gr. V-Max with TAC and does fine. I load a little faster powder, for no particular reason. The 20 P shoots great for me with powders from 2200 up to TAC.
I shot 2400 rounds last year on a trip (1200 thru 2 20Ps) and I'm taking more than that this year.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
FYI the Lee FCD crimps only at a certain length so a 204 die wouldn't reach the neck on a 20 prac.
Yeah. The 204 is a 202 neck length and the 20 P is a 175, measured on mine. I suspect they would be very close if one were using a Lee COLLET crimping die. I don't own one of those or I would give it a test maybe someone can whip up a case on here and report back.

Greg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Just wasn't sure on the crimping. Glad I didn't find a .204 FCD today or I would have been disappointed when I tried to use it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The collet actuates off the shell holder and only crimps the last 0.050" or so. It will definitely not reach a 223 case.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The collet actuates off the shell holder and only crimps the last 0.050" or so. It will definitely not reach a 223 case.
Yep it is too tall. I wonder if a guy could machine the bottom off the lower sleeve and make it work? If I had a shop I would try that just to see if I could.

Greg

·
Registered
228 Posts
You used to be able to send a dummy round to Lee and the would make a custom die cheap. I haven't been on their website in a while.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
You used to be able to send a dummy round to Lee and the would make a custom die cheap. I haven't been on their website in a while.
This interested me as I deal with a huge number of 20 Practical shooters. No one had ever asked about the FCD for it so I sent off a question on it before I made my last post. Once I get a response I'll post it up.

Greg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lee made a couple of 20P die sets for me ($75 each) but they included only the collet neck sizers and a seating die. One set for me and a set for a buddy. We set the shoulders back, when needed, with Redding 223 body dies.
Looks like Lee will make a custom crimp die for $31 http://leeprecision.com/rifle-factory-crimp-die/

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Lee made a couple of 20P die sets for me ($75 each) but they included only the collet neck sizers and a seating die. One set for me and a set for a buddy. We set the shoulders back, when needed, with Redding 223 body dies.
Looks like Lee will make a custom crimp die for $31 http://leeprecision.com/rifle-factory-crimp-die/
That's not bad. I had heard they had suspended that service last year. Looks like they are back running them.

Greg

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Simple fact is that crimping does absolutely nothing for you except adding another, frequently negative, variable to the reloading process. And an extra step that wastes time.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Simple fact is that crimping does absolutely nothing for you except adding another, frequently negative, variable to the reloading process. And an extra step that wastes time.
On the whole I agree with that. I have done some extensive testing with repeatable crimp pressure that can show a marked improvement by variation in pressures. I did this on sn AR, a 223 700 and a 243 Winchester 700 sporter. Improvement was as much as 50%+.

Greg

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Direct from Lee on a a 20 FCD:

Yes send a dummy cartridge with the payment, $25.00 for the die and $6.00 S&H.

Dave
Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075

Greg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
new problem

New problem. When I'm done sizing the brass, the very tip/mouth of the neck is flared ever so slightly. From .228 at neck to .230 at mouth. Enough that when I made a dummy round (plenty of neck tension) that it won't go into the chamber without force. Neck only stretched about a .001-.002. Case length is 1.745+/- at start. Using redding bushing die with .230 and .228 bushings. do not have an expander ball/bushing in it. BHW barrel

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Looking at my notes I went to a 225 bushing and ended up at 227 with Winchester brass. I have seen that slight flare but never had an issue in chambering. It goes away after the first firing and never shows up again. I never have figured why it shows up as it will happen on a random batch of brass and not in another.

Greg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts