6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else recently had the cc info stolen? Someone used mine to buy a computer from Dell.com and $800 worth of crap from walmart.com. I suspect it was taken from a gun/gun parts related purchase I had made but can't say for sure as it could have been from anywhere. I called Dell and Walmart to try to get shipping address info but they wouldn't share it. My bank says they don't have the info either but their fraud dept will be investigating it. My bank reversed all the charges at least.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
that sucks... sorry to hear that!

·
10,536 Posts
My personal card info has been stolen 2-3 times and business card once in the past 10 years. Never my Amex though. As long as there are DB's that want your stuff, it will happen.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yep, they got my Visa recently, but I was on top of it and caught it that day. Call the bank and cancelled it, got a new card, and the store didn't even get paid I caught it so fast. It happened about 4 years ago too, they ran up over a grand before I caught it that time. I would sure like to find the scum that did it.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Mine was caught being used in Ohio. The bank did not notify me, I called when the card would not be accepted. they said someone tried to use a clone in Ohio, they knew i was not there and turned down the charge and cancelled the card. nice if they would have told me.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'v had my information stolen a couple of times. I usually get a call from Citi Bank telling me they are canceling and issuing a new card. I asked how they knew and they said the person tried to make a small wine purchase in CA. They knew it wasn't me since I only use the card for gun related purchases.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was my debit card and it has a $1000 daily limit so it was flagged right away. I wish I could get the shipping address so I would know if it was a local business or a network hack that took my info.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Which bank do you use? I use Chase and my CC info has been stolen 3-4 times. Every time, the money is back in my account within 12 hours and I have a new card 2-3 days later. No big deal... Chase's Fraud Dept. is great.

Last time (6 months or so ago), I got a call from Chase and they asked if I had spent $900 something at a health food grocer or $1100 at a Target in NY.

NOPE! Definitely not me...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is a Visa debit card through my local credit union. They caught it instantly because it was over the $1000 limit. Had they spent less I am not sure how long it would have gone unnoticed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just enrolled in lifelock a few weeks ago. However, in the situations described above I don't think it would have helped. Anyone with experience with life lock and credit card theft and use?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing about lifelock. I think if mine did ever get stolen I would enroll just to get stuff straightened out, even if it was only for a year. any user's experiences?

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Got hit about 4 months ago, someone tried to buy $680 worth of cold medicin and booze in a CVS in San Fransisco. Visa called and asked if it was me as they were tring to make the purchase, NOPE! Took about 10 days to get the cash back in the account, but I do get notification when they press charges for this stuff, so that makes up for it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
They got mine just over a week ago. It's a bank check card (VISA logo). They used it to purchase clothing online from a UK vendor.

No big deal outside of it just being annoying. Bank refunds the funds in just a few days and I had a new card by the end of last week. I haven't been doing anything different.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I've had it happen several times in the past. It used to be a huge problem with PayPal but has gotten better since eBay bought them.

A few months ago my debit card info was stolen by skimming. That's scary stuff too. Now I look closely at every machine I put my card into.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
265 Posts
My thoughts

Forgive me if this seems like either common sense or a soapbox speech, but this is the stuff I work with everyday... Here's my advice FWIW:

1) Be wary of these random dealers you've never heard of that pop up offering gun parts in stock. It would take about 2 hours to setup an e-commerce website (website with a shopping cart) and start collecting credit cards numbers. Seems obvious, but my dad finds all kinds of shady websites looking for Glock mags...

2) If you can't have a different password for every website, at least keep your bank account passwords separate from your "fun" account passwords. Including this website - if you look at the address bar, the URL begins with "http" not "https" meaning this connection isn't encrypted. It wouldn't take much effort to run some software on a network to pick up your password floating along with all the other traffic. If you happen to use the same username/password combo for your bank websites, bad news.

3) It's not always the last place you visited that stole/shared your info. A lot of these people actually harvest a bunch of CC numbers and then sell them in bulk on the Internet's "black market." 6 months later, your credit card info has traded hands a couple times and ended up in someone's hands who actually use it.

Also, consider this: All the info you post on Facebook is nice to read... But what if I were able to view your profile. Would I be able to see the email address you registered your bank account with? Would I also be able to use the info I see on your Facebook profile to guess your date of birth, mother's maiden name, the street you grew up on, your favorite color/musician/band, etc... How long would it take, then, to use that info to reset your password to your bank account online?

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Forgive me if this seems like either common sense or a soapbox speech, but this is the stuff I work with everyday... Here's my advice FWIW:

1) Be wary of these random dealers you've never heard of that pop up offering gun parts in stock. It would take about 2 hours to setup an e-commerce website (website with a shopping cart) and start collecting credit cards numbers. Seems obvious, but my dad finds all kinds of shady websites looking for Glock mags...

2) If you can't have a different password for every website, at least keep your bank account passwords separate from your "fun" account passwords. Including this website - if you look at the address bar, the URL begins with "http" not "https" meaning this connection isn't encrypted. It wouldn't take much effort to run some software on a network to pick up your password floating along with all the other traffic. If you happen to use the same username/password combo for your bank websites, bad news.

3) It's not always the last place you visited that stole/shared your info. A lot of these people actually harvest a bunch of CC numbers and then sell them in bulk on the Internet's "black market." 6 months later, your credit card info has traded hands a couple times and ended up in someone's hands who actually use it.

Also, consider this: All the info you post on Facebook is nice to read... But what if I were able to view your profile. Would I be able to see the email address you registered your bank account with? Would I also be able to use the info I see on your Facebook profile to guess your date of birth, mother's maiden name, the street you grew up on, your favorite color/musician/band, etc... How long would it take, then, to use that info to reset your password to your bank account online?
That is some scary ****.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My wife recently did off of Walmart.com some one hacked her account and bought $68 of stuff. They were able to bypass the security on the website by sending a $3 child's book to our house cause of the billing and shipping are the same. Then they also purchased the other $65 in downloadable items so they could not track where those went. Sucks for sure. Had to file paperwork with our bank about getting the rest back from Walmart though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 24 Posts