6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So two things....

The front gas block/A2 sight on this thing is like a dummy and serves no real purpose, except for an iron sight and to hold a standard hand guard on, correct? I'm trying to take it off in order to mount a scope that has a pulsar night vision attachment. The sight is in the way, and isn't needed. I knocked out the pins, but the damn things barely budges.... I'm thinking about cutting it off, but I need to replace it with a low profile if I'm going to have a standard hand guard, or I'd have to upgrade to a free float... not sure, but it's irking me. I'd rather not cut it off, and just cut the A2 post off and file it out so the gas block is just there to hold the hand guard plate. But this could look tacky, it's not my rifle.

The second issue I'm having is the scope mount on the flat top upper receiver itself. None of my scope rings or mounts fit this flat top. Is this a colt thing? Or does this rail take like... pellet gun or air soft mounts?

I'm really not liking this thing, then I looked at a complete disassembly and holy ****, how complicated... I really don't like rim fire...

So does anyone have one of these, or maybe have experience with these issues and can offer me some advice?

Thanks... How's everyone doing? Happy 4th, 'Murica.

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What happened to my account?! wtf?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that's weird... I was on the wrong account for some reason. Thought that one was deleted.

Anyways...

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
So two things....

The front gas block/A2 sight on this thing is like a dummy and serves no real purpose, except for an iron sight and to hold a standard hand guard on, correct? I'm trying to take it off in order to mount a scope that has a pulsar night vision attachment. The sight is in the way, and isn't needed. I knocked out the pins, but the damn things barely budges.... I'm thinking about cutting it off, but I need to replace it with a low profile if I'm going to have a standard hand guard, or I'd have to upgrade to a free float... not sure, but it's irking me. I'd rather not cut it off, and just cut the A2 post off and file it out so the gas block is just there to hold the hand guard plate. But this could look tacky, it's not my rifle.

The second issue I'm having is the scope mount on the flat top upper receiver itself. None of my scope rings or mounts fit this flat top. Is this a colt thing? Or does this rail take like... pellet gun or air soft mounts?

I'm really not liking this thing, then I looked at a complete disassembly and holy ****, how complicated... I really don't like rim fire...

So does anyone have one of these, or maybe have experience with these issues and can offer me some advice?

Thanks... How's everyone doing? Happy 4th, 'Murica.
It should be just a sight post like you suspect. The rifle is blowback operated so no need for a gas block. I have cut plenty of them and shaped them with a grinder and then touch them up with some cold blue. It will be a little darker but still looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
After measuring, my standard AR rails are 3/4" wide, while my .22 WMR is 3/8" wide. I believe 3/8" is the standard rimfire scope rail size. You *did* say it's a .22, yes?

You can get an adapter, I've got one. But it may cost as much as new rings...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After measuring, my standard AR rails are 3/4" wide, while my .22 WMR is 3/8" wide. I believe 3/8" is the standard rimfire scope rail size. You *did* say it's a .22, yes?
Yup. So it's a rimfire thing...

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
The rail on the Colt should be standard Picatinny or Weaver. Not the smaller rimfire grooved receiver mounts.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rail on the Colt should be standard Picatinny or Weaver. Not the smaller rimfire grooved receiver mounts.
My standard mounts do not fit this receiver, I'm 100% positive. They are loose, and wobble. I've tried 3 sets that fit nice and tight on all of my other rifles.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Honestly I have never mounted anything on one of these. I have sold quite a few of them but never shot one or even messed with it much. It does claim to have mil standard 1913 picatinny rail though.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly I have never mounted anything on one of these. I have sold quite a few of them but never shot one or even messed with it much. It does claim to have mil standard 1913 picatinny rail though.
That's messed up...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Rascally has one. Maybe send him a PM and ask again what he used.
Rascally measured the grooved scope mount rail on his .22 WMR bolt action rifle. Rascally does not have a .22 LR rifle, AR or any other sort. Rascally wishes that he did, though...

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Rascally measured the grooved scope mount rail on his .22 WMR bolt action rifle. Rascally does not have a .22 LR rifle, AR or any other sort. Rascally wishes that he did, though...
LOL, I thought you did. Must be someone else I am thinking of.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
A little check of the Colt Firearms website reveals that Colt does not produce or sell an M4 .22 rifle. It's a licensed product made by Walther. You might check with them to see if they did anything unusual with the rail.

Of course, there's always the possibility that someone, at sometime, may have made some sort of, umm..."personal custom" modification. (See "Bubba" and "Dremel").

Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So where I'm at now, this front post is polymer. I'm going to cut the A frame off and leave the "gas block" portion to fit the hand guard, which will be the only purpose of the piece.

Now I need to figure out what scope mounts will work with this thing...

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I think you need to sell it and buy and S&W M&P 22. They use mil-spec parts and are a simple design. You will be miles ahead instead of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
The ones I was selling a year or so back were built by Walther under license by Colt and were much nicer than the S&W models. There was no plastic on them anywhere (except handquards and the usual places) receivers were all aluminum and so was front sight base. Apparently Umarex is somehow involved with the newer models, not sure if that has something to do with the changes or not. From what I understood, Umarex was just the importer but things change. Not sure what happened. The Colt/Walther M4 was the nicest 22LR AR out there at one time, at least in my opinion. Can't say what they are producing now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts