6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my second club 3Gun match this weekend. I was pretty happy overall, though I did have a couple hiccups. I learned a few things, both equipment and technique-wise, so I'll call it a win. :a01:

Here is my run on the long stage. It was a great run until my new Versa Max Tactical stove-piped a live round. :a33: I got it NIB a month ago and it only had about 50 rounds through it before this jam. It is stock except for changing the stock mag tube spring out for a Nordic spring cut to about 13" past the end of the mag tube. Ammo was factory Remington Game Load 2 3/4, 1oz, 7 1/2 shot @ 1290 fps. One opinion given is that it may have just gotten a little dirty shooting the 1oz loads. The recommendation was to break it in with 100-200 1 1/8oz loads.

The second "click" after clearing the stovepipe got me rattled and I complete forgot how the gun operated, lol. It wasn't until I chambered and ejected a couple more live rounds that I regained my senses. If I had just racked it after that click, it would have been hot and ready.

Here's the video. Any other opinions or recommendations would be appreciated. I know less about semi-auto shotguns than I do about AR's, which ain't sayin' much.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the POV video from the stage. Check out the juggling act with the first support hand load to the tube after the jam. :a36:

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Is that the Versa Max?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
What ammo was that? Looks like it ripped the rim off with the extractor. I had that problem with Federals.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What ammo was that? Looks like it ripped the rim off with the extractor. I had that problem with Federals.
Ammo was factory Remington Game Load 2 3/4, 1oz, 7 1/2 shot @ 1290 fps.

Negative on the rim ripping. At least I think. That was a live round that stuck out. There were bolt marks on the side of that round, but I think it is from when I racked it.
My only guess is it fell on to the carrier in a weird way or that the bolt didn't go fully to the rear and caught the shell in a weird way going back forward causing it to jump out of the chamber "path"

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Oh ok. I thought it was a failure to extract on a fired round. Nice gun! BTW, what up with the shave and haircut? New job? Wasn't sure who I was watching there for a minute.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh ok. I thought it was a failure to extract on a fired round. Nice gun! BTW, what up with the shave and haircut? New job? Wasn't sure who I was watching there for a minute.
Lol. Got tired of buying "product". Also don't want anyone to get confused if the balloon ever goes up or stuff hits the fan. :a26:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Just a tip, if you are carrying enough mags/ammo reload your pistol while you are moving. Then you don't have to waste more time reloading while you are at a position shooting.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a tip, if you are carrying enough mags/ammo reload your pistol while you are moving. Then you don't have to waste more time reloading while you are at a position shooting.
Hey, that's a darn good point and I don't know why I didn't think of it, even after watching the video.:a11: I was so focused on how to load the tube on the shotgun start that I didn't even bother to count rounds on the pistol. Even without the first miss on steel, I would have had to reload. :a43:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts