6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rem 700 BDL SS in 270 that is 14 years old. For the majority of those years i have shot Win ballistic silvertips. The last few years i have seen the accuracy drop off very bad. I'm wondering how much the black lubalox coating has affected my barrel and whats the best way to clean it. I have been using Gunslick foaming bore cleaner and have repeated this many times, along with a wire brush, but I just cant seem to get it clean. My goal is to get the bore good and clean and try some differient ammo (suggestion welcome).

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Assuming some of the issues you are having aren't copper fouling I have allways just used JB bore paste and Hoppes #9 to make sure everything is removed afterwards. Are you getting signs of copper fouling when you clean?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not that I can tell. I've been cleaning for the last hour with break free an brushing with a wire brush in between, and the patches continue to come out black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
No, not that I can tell. I've been cleaning for the last hour with break free an brushing with a wire brush in between, and the patches continue to come out black.

Ive never been a fan of Break free other than occasionally using the CLP for bolt lubrication in AR's but even then its not my first choice. I would suggest getting a copper remover and then see if the patches are coming out blue. But JB seems to work well for me for removing Lubalox and Moly from barrels but its a fairly slow process.

If you haven't seen it before this site would definitely be worth a look. I stumbled across it on AR-Performance.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/

The first one of interest to you would probably be http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll pick up some copper cleaner tomorrow. I really want to get this thing shooting again. It was my high school graduation present and I've killed some nice bucks with it. But with my 6.8 shooting sub moa with multiple factory loads, everything else will probably be staying in the safe.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'm curious how many rounds you've shot through this gun? If it's a lot, you might be experiencing throat erosion. If so, changing the OAL can bring accuracy back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Less than 200 rounds, probably more like 150. I got some copper cleaner today but the patches seemed pretty clean. I bought a box of hornady to try next time at the range. If that doesn't work, Im going to give it to a gunsmith buddy and see if he can do anything with it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you have cleaned it to the point that you are no longer getting the black crud from the Lubalox and you said you didn't see any evidence of copper fouling I would just put a light coat of whatever oil you use on the bore and be done with it. Without knowing what copper remover you used I would recommend that you make sure you got all of it out of the barrel before putting it away.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the hoppes copper cleaner. Thanks for the advise, I just ran some rem oil through it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've found that KG12 is the best copper cleaner.
I've heard from many people and read the same numerous times that KG12 is one of the best I just haven't bought any yet. I've been using SWEETS 7.62 for a while now but only use it occasionally and not sure how long it will take me to us up the bottle I have.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:
Went to the range today with some Hornady 130 interlocks and the gun is back to its old self. Don't know if it was the cleaning or ammo change but either way it's back on the money. Thanks for the help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts