6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking at optics for a while now. I have been leaning toward the Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9 x 40mm with a Tri MOA reticle. However, I just came across a Vortex 4-12 x 40mm with a dead hold BCD reticle at a really good price. I know from this forum that both brands are very good. I will be pulling the trigger on one of these, but it would help if anybody has experience with either of these. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, never heard of them before.

Reactions: shrek926

·
Registered
542 Posts
Still cant complain about my Pinty. Its held zero several thousand rounds in. I haven't taken it in the field, but for the price point I have been happy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a really nice reticle on that! It's a little more than I would like to spend, but that is very tempting. I will have to check to see if Ruger makes a 30mm scope ring for the Mini's. I know they do for the Mk77. I highly appreciate this add. Do you have experience with this scope?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I've got 3 Vipers, one of them is the Mil version of that scope. I've got zero complaints.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got 3 Vipers, one of them is the Mil version of that scope. I've got zero complaints.
Awesome, I have a couple of questions on it, can you still read the reticles if the battery goes dead? How clear is it at twilight? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
With no battery, the reticle is black. When I take it out at zero dark 30, I usually have illumination set to 1 or 2 depending on conditions, and it's very clear. When it gets light enough, I just turn the illumination off.

If they had it with a Mil reticle, I'd probably buy another even though I don't really have a need for another scope now.

Here's a pic of it from a 5? years ago when I built a Savage Axis with an ARP 6.8 thin land barrel. This is still my favorite deer rifle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome! You have helped me out immensely!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Little more info, there are detents in the power ring at 5 and 3.3, so the second focal plane reticle can be used at several power settings. Up at 10x, numbers are accurate, at 5x, you need to multiply by 2, at 3.3 you need to multiply by 3, and all the way down at 2.5, you need to multiply by 4. All of which can be done in your head once you figure it out.

Some have complained the power ring is too stiff, I haven't had a problem with it. I'd prefer the fast focus eyepiece had a lock ring instead, but that's minor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hate to say it, but you are talking above my head there.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a method for estimating range to target using only the reticle and simple math. Here's an explanation, but they are still doing it the hard way:

Interesting read. I also looked up the MOA . Looks like the big difference is if you know the height of your target, you can figure out the distance. I kind of like that, but trying to remember the heights of your prey is a little daunting.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Interesting read. I also looked up the MOA . Looks like the big difference is if you know the height of your target, you can figure out the distance. I kind of like that, but trying to remember the heights of your prey is a little daunting.
It's pretty simple once you learn it. MOA will work similar, but the numbers are different. I learned MILs a long time ago because I can do the math in my head, and it's become second nature:

If a big Whitetail's chest is about 18 inches tall, that's .5 yards. If it's 1.5 mils in the scope,
that's 1000 * .5 yards / 1.5 = 333 yards. With 110 Accubonds in my 6.8, that's about 1 MIL drop

In the link I posted above, they are using the 27.8 conversion because the input and output units are different. If you use all the same units, there is no conversion.

Here's one more for MOA:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's pretty simple once you learn it. MOA will work similar, but the numbers are different. I learned MILs a long time ago because I can do the math in my head, and it's become second nature:

If a big Whitetail's chest is about 18 inches tall, that's .5 yards. If it's 1.5 mils in the scope,
that's 1000 * .5 yards / 1.5 = 333 yards. With 110 Accubonds in my 6.8, that's about 1 MIL drop

In the link I posted above, they are using the 27.8 conversion because the input and output units are different. If you use all the same units, there is no conversion.

Here's one more for MOA:

That makes me feel a lot better about the MOA scope. Now to make the final decision on which one I'm going to go with.

·
Super Moderator
11,854 Posts
I really like my Leupold VX5 HD 1-5x24. Light weight and compact, great field of view and plenty of power on the hi end for longer shots that I would be making with a 6.8.

Reactions: Devil Phish
1 - 18 of 18 Posts