Looks like a easy target to me.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Available soon at your local Harbor Freight for $99

·
Registered
833 Posts
Looks good on the ground. Wonder if it flies?

Speaking of the Spruce Goose. Years ago I toured it in Long Beach. It was one of the coolest things I can say I have seen and walked thru.

On the list to do

Nimitz class aircraft carrier

Submarine. Any type

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Looks good on the ground. Wonder if it flies?

Speaking of the Spruce Goose. Years ago I toured it in Long Beach. It was one of the coolest things I can say I have seen and walked thru.

On the list to do

Nimitz class aircraft carrier

Submarine. Any type
Put Portland, Oregon on your bucket list. There is a submarine and operating, fully restored PT boat open to the public. But no aircraft carrier.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm 15 miles south of the sub, right on lake Michigan.
Great area. I once took the Badger to Ludington at night in August. Was surprised how cool it was on the lake. Can you say unprepared?

Reason I ask is I would like to invite someone from Wisconsin or the TwinCities area to join me one day soon to do some target practice at the Range I belong to. So that's out there.

I may be taking a trip this year to Green Bay.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Believe it or not, when I was kid back in the 70's, I saw a picture in a magazine of a proposed amphibious version of the C-130 Hercules. They wanted to build them for the exact same reason. Delivery of goods to 3rd world coastal nations, and also design a version that had a 15,000-20,000 gallon removable tank that good be filled with water using on board pumps when it lands. Then dumped for fighting forest fires.

Unfortunately, I think the idea made too much sense, so it got cancelled. Maybe the basic air frame isn't strong enough for the impact of landing on water? Not sure. But it would be pretty cool to see a version of this.

I found a pic doing a Google search, and I don't remember if this is the exact proposal, but it looks about right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts