6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some reloaders check to find the lands so they can back off .020 or whatever they think is the best distance off the lands. Many use the Hornady lock and load OAL gauge similar to this red one below. These work fine just check 3-4 times to get a good reading. Other people use a piece of sized brass with a slot cut in the end. This is where things get a little more complicated. You must use new or sized brass so it will fit loosely in the chamber but you must expand the neck just enough to let the bullet slide in with some tension and the ball expander in the die set may not be big enough. I know a lot of people will say that is why the slot is there but if you depend on the slot only the 2 cut edges of the neck will touch the bullet and that will force the neck apart making it wide perpendicular to the slot. Sometimes that is enough to cause an interference fit in the chamber neck and cause the bullets to jam the lands hard and possibly give a false reading. Also after slicing the neck you must make sure there are no burrs where it was cut or at the case mouth. I try to do this before I mount the barrel in an upper, it is easier to get to especially if you have to use needle nose pliers to remove the case from the chamber. Below is a case sliced into 4 parts, it may be better just make sure there are no burrs, it only takes 1 burr .001-.002" thick to make a difference.
ETA -Most 6.8 bullets can be set to 2.295" maximum a normal mag will allow and still not touch the lands.
Automotive lighting Tints and shades Rectangle Automotive exterior Font

Cone Bullet Natural material Gun accessory Ammunition

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
Calipers Wood Drill Circuit component Tool

You also have to beware of the projo "sticking" as you withdraw, giving you a falsely long reading.

I only really had an issue with 90GDs. I just kept fiddling with the coal until it didn't stick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts