6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Im new to reloading. Took my first batch out to the range today. 110 grain S & B FMJ. Hornaday brass. BR-4 primers. My question is the charge weight. I used the chart from Accurate Arms for Hornady V max load. Loaded to 28.3 grains of 2200 COAL of 2.23. No pressure signs. Is it safe to go hotter? I have a bison barrel with their 6.8 chamber.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok so Im new to reloading. Took my first batch out to the range today. 110 grain S & B FMJ. Hornaday brass. BR-4 primers. My question is the charge weight. I used the chart from Accurate Arms for Hornady V max load. Loaded to 28.3 grains of 2200 COAL of 2.23. No pressure signs. Is it safe to go hotter? I have a bison barrel with their 6.8 chamber.
Only you can determine if you want to go hotter. When I develope new loads I normally increase by .3 grains at a time until I begin to see pressure signs. Then I go with the most accurate powder charge I found along the way.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only you can determine if you want to go hotter. When I develope new loads I normally increase by .3 grains at a time until I begin to see pressure signs. Then I go with the most accurate powder charge I found along the way.
ok thanks for the advice. I may wait till I get a chrono first. I noticed the hand loads were hitting higher than my zero for the factory 90s i usually shoot.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Factory ammo most likely will have a
lower point of impact because it is
loaded to lower pressures for 6.8 spc
not 6.8 SPCll.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The coal of 2.23 can be increased to help offset the preassure increase as you increase charge weight.
Most mags will allow a coal of around 2.290 - 2.295
28.8 gr 2200 is where I ended up loading for 110 gr bullets...... I'm running my coal 2.275.
29.0 gr of 2200 was showing pressure signs on the primers ..... a little change can show a big difference .....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far Im doing good. Got up to 30gr of AA2200 with no pressure signs. 2770 fps average with 110s. Going to see if I can get it to 2800, then call it. Ill be happy at that point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts