6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been conversing with Barnes about the 130tsx vs. the 130ttsx (in 308 not 270) and I gathered a few tidbits to share since a lot of people here use the 95ttsx......1st (as the website states) the overall length is different, BUT Barnes told me to use the same "jump to lands" for both bullets (this will change the C.O.A.L as the ogive is a different profile)....2nd they told me to use the same powder load data for both the ttsx and tsx for similar weights ...3rd, they told me they have changed the design of the 130tsx to open at the same (lower) velocity that the TTSX will - which for this application is 1800 minimum and 2000fps for full expansion.....so it seems they either have changed the "softness" of the TSX or the HP cavity so it will open at similar lower velocities of the TTSX...I wonder if they are doing this to other calibers/weights of bullets? X-man may need to start all over with his testing :a24:

·
Registered
89 Posts
.....so it seems they either have changed the "softness" of the TSX or the HP cavity so it will open at similar lower velocities of the TTSX...I wonder if they are doing this to other calibers/weights of bullets? X-man may need to start all over with his testing :a24:
Looks like you did not ask all the the questions that needed answers. But Xman probably will not hesitate testing..... resources provided of course:a21:.
--Cheers

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like you did not ask all the the questions that needed answers. But Xman probably will not hesitate testing..... resources provided of course:a21:.
--Cheers
I asked, they stopped responding after 5 emails (I cant blame them though) they answered my original question and then some.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I asked, they stopped responding after 5 emails (I font blame them though) they answered my original question and then some.
I understand. If you were federal, double tap or any other company/person from who they make lots of money they would continue sharing info......but that is the way it is. Like you said, they did answered original questions and then some, and we all understand. Thanks for sharing. I see you tried digging deeper.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
...I wonder if they are doing this to other calibers/weights of bullets? X-man may need to start all over with his testing :a24:
Now thats funny:a16:

I asked, they stopped responding after 5 emails (I font blame them though) they answered my original question and then some.
answers that create more questions. I think they shoulda responded still some. Maybe they dont wanna give out any secrets yet.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Did they say when they made the changes? They made a change to their TSX expansion cavity and ogive 3 or more years ago. energy determines expansion so 130 TSX will have to be slightly faster than 150 or 165. I've finished testing .223, .243 and .270 monolithic bullets and half way through .308. Did 130 TTSX but 150 TSX. Going to take off for the weekend so will have to provide details later.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did they say when they made the changes? They made a change to their TSX expansion cavity and ogive 3 or more years ago. energy determines expansion so 130 TSX will have to be slightly faster than 150 or 165. I've finished testing .223, .243 and .270 monolithic bullets and half way through .308. Did 130 TTSX but 150 TSX. Going to take off for the weekend so will have to provide details later.
He didn't say, if you look on the website, they still show different minimum expansion speeds

I wish you could get ahold of some of that corbon 110ttsx ammo to test a few rounds, but at $45 per box, I doubt anyone will buy any

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Are we talking .308 Win or .300 BO here? I can tell you from testing the 130 TTSX in the .308/.300 WM that the energy drop-off due to its lower BC is readily apparent in less than 200 yards. The 110 Barnes used in the .300 BO doesn't start out fast and losses energy rapidly. I let a shooter use my chrony at the range with this ammo and his MV in a 14" barrel was just over 2100 fps (If I remember correctly). The advantage of the TSX vs the TTSX is the shorter bullet length gives you more case capacity in a mag-length limited COAL.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Oh, I couldn't find the 110 Barnes bullet for the .300 BO on their web sight as a component. ... Just found the .308 data. Below 2600 ft-lbs of energy, the 150 TSX out expands the 130 TTSX (above that their expansion is the same). At 1400 ft-lbs of energy, the 150 TSX expands to 0.610" where the 130 TTSX expands to 0.490". The lower limit of the 150 TSX expansion is 1250 ft-lbs of energy. The 130 TTSX can go a bit lower but I haven't tested it below 1200. The TSX bullets typically out expand the TTSX bullets in every caliber I've tested which is probably why Remington uses the TSX in their Hog Hammer ammo instead of the TTSX. BTW, the 85/110 TSX for the 6.8mm is the new expansion cavity.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are we talking .308 Win or .300 BO here? I can tell you from testing the 130 TTSX in the .308/.300 WM that the energy drop-off due to its lower BC is readily apparent in less than 200 yards. The 110 Barnes used in the .300 BO doesn't start out fast and losses energy rapidly. I let a shooter use my chrony at the range with this ammo and his MV in a 14" barrel was just over 2100 fps (If I remember correctly). The advantage of the TSX vs the TTSX is the shorter bullet length gives you more case capacity in a mag-length limited COAL.
308 - 130 tsx is moving at 2800 in my 16" nextgen barrel....I'm retesting 4 more powders today for hopefully a slight increase in velocity and starting from scratch on accuracy due to my "bunk" scope I had on it .

H actually recommended the 130 tsx for hunting as he uses it, I asked why not the ttsx and he stated for "jump to lands" and case capacity...but according to Barnes website the ttsx opens at 200fps slower than the tsx, but if that has changed then the tsx is definitely the better option

The reason I contacted Barnes about the differences was that I used to be able to get both locally, but my LGS stopped carrying the 130 tsx and only carries the 130 ttsx now

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
BTW, the GMX bullets have two expansion cavities. In 6.8mm/.277, the 100 GMX has the new one and the 130 GMX has the original one. In the .308 from what I can tell so far, the 150 GMX has the new one and the 165 GMX has the original but I'm still testing. The new GMX expansion cavity has significantly lower expansion range, e.g., 1600 fps with the 100 GMX vs just under 2000 fps with the 130 GMX. I haven't tested the lower limits of the 150 GMX compared to the 165. That's next on my list after hunting season.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those 2 weights are where my testing is going.

In the 130tsx I've gotten 2800, in the 150gmx I've gotten 2600.

I know you are still testing, but do you have a preference between those 2 in the 308?

To me , using your data and Barnes info, it looks like at the speeds I'm getting I would be good out to around 300-350 yards (for this platform, that is plenty for me)

Barnes did say that originally the 130ttsx started expanding at 1600fps and the tsx started at 1800...they also stated that "full expansion was at 2000fps and greater for the 130class 308's

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Both the 130 TTSX and 150 GMX have identical expansion curves except the GMX expands more below 1200 ft-lbs. Which every one shoots better is likely your best choice.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
H actually recommended the 130 tsx for hunting as he uses it, I asked why not the ttsx and he stated for "jump to lands" and case capacity...but according to Barnes website the ttsx opens at 200fps slower than the tsx, but if that has changed then the tsx is definitely the better option

H made a good recommendation and I concur with the added case capacity so you should be higher mv with the TSX. Yes, the 130 TTSX does open up at a slower velocity than the TSX but everywhere else the TSX has the advantage and has greater expansion by a significant amount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts