6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
If you recently purchased the barrel, then it's a SPEC II as listed on their website. I haven't heard of anyone selling new 6.8 barrels that are the old SPEC I.

Most 6.8 barrel group decent, except some brands like Bear Creek which can be hit or miss. With that said, you can't go wrong with an ARP barrel. Every ARP barrel I've owned groups 1/2" or less depending on the load.

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks bubba, that's great info. The barrel is stamped SPC but they sold and sick by it as SPC II. Kind of confusing but I read the reviews for ARP's and that's why I pulled the trigger on it. Fired a few rounds today to start seasoning the barrel and I was honestly impressed. I thought the Grendel was my new fav but this six eight I built is one heck of a steel ringer and is making me warm up to it as my deer rifle for within eighty yards or so. Killed a deer with my Grendel on my property this past season. Entry and exit were almost the same size but the vitals were turned to mush. Ran maybe forty yards. From what I've gathered, the 6.8 should drop em on the spot within eighty yards. Owning a small chunk of mountain with few places clear past that distance, that six eight should reign as King of the Mountain. Again, thank you and the others but one for your input
If you already have a 6.5 Grendel upper why did you build a 6.8? Out to 500 yards they are within 100 FPS typically with similar projectile weights and BC's. Past 500, 6.5 is better for paper punching, but neither offer expansion past 400 to 500 with the best loads. Or was it just for fun? I'm curious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you already have a 6.5 Grendel upper why did you build a 6.8? Out to 500 yards they are within 100 FPS typically with similar projectile weights and BC's. Past 500, 6.5 is better for paper punching, but neither offer expansion past 400 to 500 with the best loads. Or was it just for fun? I'm curious.
First reason:'murica! Because I can. 2) military is switching to it and I wanted to be ahead of the curve when bulk U.S. ammo hits like it did for 5.56. 3) Gun grabbers never rest at trying to take guns and neither do I when it comes to buying or building them when I can. 4) the expansion in game seems to be better with the six eight within fifty yards and I need that for hunting on my property be it deer, coyotes or whatever.

·
Registered
182 Posts
military is switching to it and I wanted to be ahead of the curve when bulk U.S. ammo hits like it did for 5.56.
From what I've read, if the military switches to a 6.8, it likely won't chamber in your gun. It will probably have some kind of plastic case rather than the brass 6.8 SPC case we on this forum use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First reason:'murica! Because I can. 2) military is switching to it and I wanted to be ahead of the curve when bulk U.S. ammo hits like it did for 5.56. 3) Gun grabbers never rest at trying to take guns and neither do I when it comes to buying or building them when I can. 4) the expansion in game seems to be better with the six eight within fifty yards and I need that for hunting on my property be it deer, coyotes or whatever.
The military has settled on a 6.8 caliber projectile, but they have NOT officially adopted the 6.8 SPC cartridge. And they are testing complete replacement's for the DI AR-15 series of rifles (yes, they are going with piston driven BCG's like every other combat rifle in the world, most likely the middle ground, a short stroke piston for which Sig seems to be the top contender right now).

The 6.8 SPC was more of a "proof of concept" to prove the point that an intermediate cartridge would better fill the role for medium and close range combat with maybe some limited longer range use with specialized loads. They have officially started a 27 month contract / field trials of various 6.8mm based cartridge and rifle designs including squad automatics, infantry rifles and heavy portable support guns using the .338 Norma Mag cartridge.

But your are correct, 6.8mm projectiles do have better terminal performance than 6.5mm projectiles at similar velocities. I meant no offense, I was just curious as to why build a 6.8 when you already had a 6.5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The military has settled on a 6.8 caliber projectile, but they have NOT officially adopted the 6.8 SPC cartridge. And they are testing complete replacement's for the DI AR-15 series of rifles (yes, they are going with piston driven BCG's like every other combat rifle in the world, most likely the middle ground, a short stroke piston for which Sig seems to be the top contender right now).

The 6.8 SPC was more of a "proof of concept" to prove the point that an intermediate cartridge would better fill the role for medium and close range combat with maybe some limited longer range use with specialized loads. They have officially started a 27 month contract / field trials of various 6.8mm based cartridge and rifle designs including squad automatics, infantry rifles and heavy portable support guns using the .338 Norma Mag cartridge.

But your are correct, 6.8mm projectiles do have better terminal performance than 6.5mm projectiles at similar velocities. I meant no offense, I was just curious as to why build a 6.8 when you already had a 6.5.
No problem hoss, thanks for the info

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my 6.8 spc from same place and it was stamped 6.8, no ll. I checked with seller who said all thier barrels were type ll chambers. I asked the same question on this forum as you did. I was told to put flat based bullet in fired case and put into chamber and carefully extract it. Measure the length and that would tell if it was a type ll chamber. I can't recall the length, but posted pictures of round in caliper, guys here said it was a type ll chamber. It shoots great. My best load hunting is Barnes ttsx 95 gr. 28 gr of aa2200.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I got my 6.8 spc from same place and it was stamped 6.8, no ll. I checked with seller who said all thier barrels were type ll chambers. I asked the same question on this forum as you did. I was told to put flat based bullet in fired case and put into chamber and carefully extract it. Measure the length and that would tell if it was a type ll chamber. I can't recall the length, but posted pictures of round in caliper, guys here said it was a type ll chamber. It shoots great. My best load hunting is Barnes ttsx 95 gr. 28 gr of aa2200.
Awesome! Thank you hoss

·
Registered
270 Posts

it wont be anything near 6.8 spc. They are trying to push the envelope. For a glance at the direction they are heading look no further than the .277 fury. SIG took what they have learned and been developing and made a civilian cartridge for it. If it lives up to the numbers, it gives you an idea of what the military is trying to do for the NGSW.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts