6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 6.8 SPC II upper from AR 15 parts.com. When I received the upper, stamped on the barrel was only 6.8 SPC with 1:11 twist. I emailed them asking if they sent me the under powered regular SPC by mistake. They replied that it is SPC II as advertised. I've started seasoning the barrel with just a few rounds of Hornady Black and so far I really like it. In just very cautious of actually putting SPC II rounds through it when I get some even though the company said it was spec II. Any thoughts on this issue? Please feel free to share any info you may have.

·
Super Moderator
21,744 Posts
What if I want to reload and make them a but hot? Is there any differences in the necks and shoulder between the two?
Then you SHOULD have purchased from a KNOWN vendor and had CONFIDENCE in what you were buying to begin with... so your "what if?" scenarios were a non-issue.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For peace of mind, order some Cerrosafe and do a chamber casting. It's a simple process that can give you an excellent casting of your chamber which you can use to verify SPC II dimensions. Available on Amazon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then you SHOULD have purchased from a KNOWN vendor and had CONFIDENCE in what you were buying to begin with... so your "what if?" scenarios were a non-issue.
In a former USMC armorer so I at least have a decent idea of what I'm doing with firearms. It was just a simple question about the chambering between the two, basically. Your condescending thoughts are duly noted, sir. Thank you

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hillbilly the difference between the 6.8 spc and 6.8 spc 2 is akin to the difference between the . 223 and 5.56 , their chambers are the same up to the throat/ lead . The 6.8 spc 2 has more distance to the lands which allows a little more powder by allowing bullets to be loaded longer and the longer throat/ more bullet jump reduces pressure spike . Just like the . 223 w is in-between the . 223 and 5.56 there is a 6.8 which splits the difference . The 6.8 ARP performance chamber , I think other companies are copying his specs now ) . I only have ARP 6.8 barrels but I do have a 18" .223w and 20" stainless bull from AR Parts and they shoot great and I have no complaints .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hillbilly the difference between the 6.8 spc and 6.8 spc 2 is akin to the difference between the . 223 and 5.56 , their chambers are the same up to the throat/ lead . The 6.8 spc 2 has more distance to the lands which allows a little more powder by allowing bullets to be loaded longer and the longer throat/ more bullet jump reduces pressure spike . Just like the . 223 w is in-between the . 223 and 5.56 there is a 6.8 which splits the difference . The 6.8 ARP performance chamber , I think other companies are copying his specs now ) . I only have ARP 6.8 barrels but I do have a 18" .223w and 20" stainless bull from AR Parts and they shoot great and I have no complaints .

Thanks bubba, that's great info. The barrel is stamped SPC but they sold and sick by it as SPC II. Kind of confusing but I read the reviews for ARP's and that's why I pulled the trigger on it. Fired a few rounds today to start seasoning the barrel and I was honestly impressed. I thought the Grendel was my new fav but this six eight I built is one heck of a steel ringer and is making me warm up to it as my deer rifle for within eighty yards or so. Killed a deer with my Grendel on my property this past season. Entry and exit were almost the same size but the vitals were turned to mush. Ran maybe forty yards. From what I've gathered, the 6.8 should drop em on the spot within eighty yards. Owning a small chunk of mountain with few places clear past that distance, that six eight should reign as King of the Mountain. Again, thank you and the others but one for your input

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thanks bubba, that's great info. The barrel is stamped SPC but they sold and sick by it as SPC II. Kind of confusing but I read the reviews for ARP's and that's why I pulled the trigger on it. Fired a few rounds today to start seasoning the barrel and I was honestly impressed. I thought the Grendel was my new fav but this six eight I built is one heck of a steel ringer and is making me warm up to it as my deer rifle for within eighty yards or so. Killed a deer with my Grendel on my property this past season. Entry and exit were almost the same size but the vitals were turned to mush. Ran maybe forty yards. From what I've gathered, the 6.8 should drop em on the spot within eighty yards. Owning a small chunk of mountain with few places clear past that distance, that six eight should reign as King of the Mountain. Again, thank you and the others but one for your input
The 6.5 gren is a good round . The advantages a 6.8 has is higher velosisity with 16" and shorter barrels and the 6.8 bolt is inhearidly stronger and allow for higher pressure loads . With any factory hunting load the 6.8 is good to 300 yards . ____

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
AR 15 Parts.com is not ARP(AR15 Performance)

·
Registered
88 Posts
AR 15 parts.com is not AR Performance. I looked at one upper on their site and it used a Shaw barrel (the description did say SPC II).
Other than chamber cast, I don't know if there is a way to verify which chamber you have. Maybe some of the members can suggest another way?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
To be clear AR parts . Com is not ARP ( AR Performance) AR parts . Com sales parts made by several companies ARP is its own company .

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
AR15PERFORMANCE has never made anything but 6.8 spc II barrels. Harrison Beene pioneered the chamber.
Harrison's barrel's are chambered using his " performance ' reamers and are not spec 2 , they are to spec 2 and spc original what . 223 w is to the . 223 and 5.56 . It is not just because of the enhanced chambers that they are do good , it is a combination of the freebore , type rifling , metal treatment and quality control .

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hillbilly I'm sure you are either completely clear or very confused on the subject . _ The confusion between AR parts . com and AR performance is nothing new and actually how I accidentally found AR Performance . If you got yours from AR performance I don't think H would be telling you it was a spec 2 he would be telling you it was his performance chamber . _ That said even though I swear by ARP barrels it doesn't have to be an ARP to shoot good . Let us know how it does . Besides I venture to say you will be building more 6.8s _ Constructor, who commented on here, is H of AR Performance . Go to his site and you can read the difference between the chambers . ____ Most people on here are knowledgeable and give good advice yet some make off the wall claims such as __" bolt 6.8 s Don't benefit being spc 2 because they can be loaded long anyway but ARs benifit because their magazine limits length." That made absolutely no sense . _ Take everything you read with a grain of salt and look to ARP home page for facts on chambers , barrels and twist rates . As far as bullet performance I find the results X man shows for the several loads I've used on game to be spot on . Check out his tests at x man's 6.8 bullet performance .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hillbilly I'm sure you are either completely clear or very confused on the subject . _ The confusion between AR parts . com and AR performance is nothing new and actually how I accidentally found AR Performance . If you got yours from AR performance I don't think H would be telling you it was a spec 2 he would be telling you it was his performance chamber . That said even though I swear by ARP barrels it doesn't have to be an ARP to shoot good . Let us know how it does . Besides I venture to say you will be building more 6.8s Constructor, who commented on here, is H of AR Performance . Go to his site and you can read the difference between the chambers . __ Most people on here are knowledgeable and give good advice yet some make off the wall claims such as " bolt 6.8 s Don't benefit being spc 2 because they can be loaded long anyway but ARs benifit because their magazine limits length." That made absolutely no sense . _ Take everything you read with a grain of salt and look to ARP home page for facts on chambers , barrels and twist rates . As far as bullet performance I find the results X man shows for the several loads I've used on game to be spot on . Check out his tests at x man's 6.8 bullet performance .

Thank you so much for that great info. So far, this upper is shooting pretty decent as I'm just fooling around seasoning the barrel. A few more rounds and I'll zero it then let you know how it does in that regard.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I ordered one of their uppers for a friends build since ARP was out of 16" barrels. My buddy isnt a big shooter but is starting to have a hog problem. He doesnt reload and is satisfied with 2 moa groups so it saved some money. I know shaw makes a lot of barrels for other companies so i figured it would be pretty decent.

Its supposed to come in tomorrow and if I can get to the range I'll try to report on how it does.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered one of their uppers for a friends build since ARP was out of 16" barrels. My buddy isnt a big shooter but is starting to have a hog problem. He doesnt reload and is satisfied with 2 moa groups so it saved some money. I know shaw makes a lot of barrels for other companies so i figured it would be pretty decent.

Its supposed to come in tomorrow and if I can get to the range I'll try to report on how it does.
I know I'm impressed with mine so far

1 - 20 of 41 Posts