6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had good results using H4198 and 90gr Gold Dots from my 16" barrel. Velocity is right at 2850fps with around 1" groups. Now I'm looking to come up with a good Gold Dot load for my 12.5" pistol.

Since CFE is a faster burning powder is it better suited for shorter barrels than the H4198 that I've been using? What kind of velocity and accuracy could I expect? I already have some CFE in the cabinet but haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I got good velocity with CFE BLK, but never found a load that was as accurate as H4198 under 90gr bullets, TNT or GD.

·
Super Moderator
21,596 Posts
For years, folks have touted Re7 as the go-to for pills less than 100gr. for the 6.8.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried RL7 early on with 85gr and 90gr bullets but never had any luck with accuracy although velocity was good.

H4198 has been my go to powder for years in my 16" for 90gr. Just wanted to try something different in the 12.5".

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm not wanting to start a debate about slow powder for long fast for short as that subject has been beat to death but as far as achieving accuracy with out sacrificing Velosisity my 18" loads are the same ones that work in my 12. 5"

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've tried CFE BLK and 90gr Gold Dots with my 11.5" Black Hole Weaponry barrel (yes, it's old :D), and my highest velocities were indeed with CFE (higher than A-2200 and RL-7). 29.0 grains got me just over 2600 fps. Hodgdon lists the max charge as 30.1, but I didn't develop CFE further because I was getting better accuracy with A-2200, and I've got l plenty of it. My barrels have not preferred H4198, so I don't have a direct comparison, but I hope you find this info helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts