6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Guys, this powder is great and accuracy and speed are good, but for the life of me I can't get the bolt to lock back no matter the charge nor adjustment on my gas block.

im trying on 110gr AB, tried 115gr smk, and 120gr SST.

any suggestions?
What is your barrel length? My 16" Scout cycles fine with CFE BLK, but is slightly under gassed. 18" or longer barrels may require enlarging the gas port as done by crayj.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
i use ARP barrels for nearly everything, only rounds i loaded were in 6.8, i had to enlarge the barrel gas port to a #43 wire, they all run fine now and my adj blocks are set at 5-6 clicks open. next i'll load some x39 up. if i can get things going my way i'll end up using just 2 powders, cfe 223 and blk. i used 110gr hornady hpbt, heavier bullets i would likely consider 223 instead of blk
What is your barrel length? My 16" Scout cycles fine with CFE BLK, but is slightly under gassed. 18" or longer barrels may require enlarging the gas port as done by crayj.
18" ARP with a Superlative GB. I am hoping I am doing something wrong cause I don't wanna fill out my gas port lol, but if I have too just to be able to consolidate powder then it's only 2 rifles that I'll need to do it on.

What I haven't done was slap my suppressor on it and see if there is enough back pressure to help cycle.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
the #43 wire bit is only a few thousandths bigger than what you already have. bits available at home depot, make sure you have 1/4" dowel to run down the bore to keep the bit from going to far. i did one with a drill press and a hand drill for the others, i ran the bit as slowly as i could and let it pull it's way thru

·
Registered
826 Posts
I traded a friend a pound of 2200 for a pound of Black, I can't hardly wait to get past this storm stuff and try it out, 100AB's, 105CBB's, 110AB's,,, looking forward to it....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
the #43 wire bit is only a few thousandths bigger than what you already have. bits available at home depot, make sure you have 1/4" dowel to run down the bore to keep the bit from going to far. i did one with a drill press and a hand drill for the others, i ran the bit as slowly as i could and let it pull it's way thru
10/4. Looks like I'll have to order the bit but still have a few places to check

a #43 is equivalent to a 3/32 correct? Looks like it is but need verification lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
loaded up some 90 grain TNT and 95 grain nolsers and 30.0 CFE blk. No joy with this load. 16' arp barrel. tnt was 2.5 inch group the noslers 2" at 100. Not nearly as gfood as my 4198 sub moa.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
home depot here had them for less than a dollar
Bummer, the closes Home Depot is 45 minutes away. I live in the area Lowes Home Improvement started out so there isn't a Home Depot close lol.

but I may just mosey on down to the closes one and see just to get out of the house

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ill have to take a look for chits and giggles. Either way I have one on the way.

im excited as this will cut my powders down to a total of 3
i'll have to load several more thousand up before i'm at a point to convert over, but i'll be stocking up on blk and 233 for the heavies, and i'll be down to 2 powders, unless i decide to begin loading 45acp

·
Registered
620 Posts
I imagine hogdon's data is spc I but I can't help but think some of these loads are over max. Swipes and reading primers is not an exact science. By the time you see issues your likely past max. Would love to see some case measurements or see how long the primer pockets last.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Are you guys finding better results out of CFE BLK than the 2200?
Or is this strictly for reducing inventory?
The price is virtually the same.
I'm wondering the same thing.. I'm about to make my first bulk powder/bullet order and I'm on the fence between these two. I'll be shooting primarily 90gr GD pulls and trying out the 100gr accubond.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing.. I'm about to make my first bulk powder/bullet order and I'm on the fence between these two. I'll be shooting primarily 90gr GD pulls and trying out the 100gr accubond.
CFE BLK works best for me with 90gr Gold Dots. I never really liked 2200, some swear by it, nothing wrong with it. I'm loading 30.5gr and getting 3050fps from my 18" ARP barrel, 1/2" groupings at 100yds.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have had no luck with aa2200 and cfe black with my GD's. IMR4198 has been oustanding with it. Charge I think is around 27 grains but don't take my word on that as I am not at home to check.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Has anyone done more load testing with this powder?

i finally started doing some load testing with 120gr SST and well I ended up putting a round through my chrono lol.

wanna see if anyone else has done some loads with the SSTs

21 - 40 of 71 Posts