6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rest in peace Champ! You will always be Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr. and #1 in my heart. Thank you for all the years of great boxing matches. Now you can continue to float like a butterfly.

·
Administrator
22,084 Posts
He was entertaining... no doubt about that.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i have to dig thru my old negatives, somewhere i have a shot of Ali i took when he was training in New Orleans. i shot 3 rolls and only got 1 really good photo, he has his hands down, facing the lens, doing the shuffle

·
Registered
421 Posts
He was a great boxer, entertainer and even managed to be humanitarian with helping to free the human shields in Iraq. I hate what Parkinson's did to him and countless others. May he rest in peace now.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
He was a great boxer, entertainer and even managed to be humanitarian with helping to free the human shields in Iraq. I hate what Parkinson's did to him and countless others. May he rest in peace now.

However I cannot look past the fact he was willing to fight everywhere except for Uncle Sam. Wonder if Obummer will order a flag to half staff for a man who refused to fight for it.
i begrudged him and his objections for awhile, but got over it. he had his convictions (whatever they were) and stood his ground, paid the price. he certainly didn't need my forgiveness and never knew of it. seeing him light the flame was a wonderful moment in time, i came to more than respect him for what he was and what he became. Godspeed Champ

·
Registered
421 Posts
i begrudged him and his objections for awhile, but got over it. he had his convictions (whatever they were) and stood his ground, paid the price. he certainly didn't need my forgiveness and never knew of it. seeing him light the flame was a wonderful moment in time, i came to more than respect him for what he was and what he became. Godspeed Champ
CrayJ after reading your post I realized my second paragraph had no bearing and I should not have written it. It was more personal and political and had no place here. He was a great person and accomplished many things. May he rest in peace.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
it's still barely America, some places more than others, you can still say what you want. i wasn't chastising anyone, not in my job description LOL

·
Registered
421 Posts
it's still barely America, some places more than others, you can still say what you want. i wasn't chastising anyone, not in my job description LOL
Did not take it as such. Your post made me think and evaluate what I wrote and realize it had no place. I was just a baby during Vietnam. From your sig line I see you were there. You better than I understand the politics of that time.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to respect the man as he stuck to his beliefs. He was opposed to killing not fighting. He accomplished many great things but paid the price of being held prisoner inside his own body by Parkinson's. He could have done so much more had he not be taken hostage.
The whole world is mourning today as a great ambassador passed away last night. I saw he was in the hospital from the evening news last night and less than 2 hours later saw that he had died. Not many things will bring a tear to my eye but this event did just that.
My father devoted his life to this country with 24 years USAF and another 26 years running the nuclear weapons program for the Dept of Navy and he did not hold his refusal to go to war against him as he did not wish for anyone to have to suffer having to have to kill anyone. His theory was that the military was not everyone's bag of tea and pointed out the other things that Ali did for the world. My father was one of the biggest Ali fans.

You are old if you remember this song.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I was young enough to still be playing in the sand under my back porch when the radio playing in the kitchen announced he had beat Sonny Liston.
The hype and predictions were everywhere at the time especially in school. It was my first awareness of the sport but I paid attention to each of his fight there after. Watching him and Howard go at each other whenever they could was superior entertainment.
When he changed his name it meant very little to me in fact I just wondered why someone like he would ever do it. I knew nothing of the religious reasons for it. It did start a trend among blacks at the time even though Arabs were coming here to escape Islam. So convoluted.
When he refused the draft and it made so much news it again started or at least reinforced the idea. This at the same time where movies of Elvis getting drafted were popular and completely countered the idea.
He was my favorite fighter at the time. Watching Joe Frazier actually stagger him was something to behold. Those fights of the 60's and 70's were the golden age of boxing in my opinion.
His life beyond the ring was too political for me. I suppose I was not fully informed of his activities. Like Ray Charles a movie will come out. Hope it's accurate.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had to respect the man as he stuck to his beliefs. He was opposed to killing not fighting. He accomplished many great things but paid the price of being held prisoner inside his own body by Parkinson's. He could have done so much more had he not be taken hostage.
The whole world is mourning today as a great ambassador passed away last night. I saw he was in the hospital from the evening news last night and less than 2 hours later saw that he had died. Not many things will bring a tear to my eye but this event did just that.
My father devoted his life to this country with 24 years USAF and another 26 years running the nuclear weapons program for the Dept of Navy and he did not hold his refusal to go to war against him as he did not wish for anyone to have to suffer having to have to kill anyone. His theory was that the military was not everyone's bag of tea and pointed out the other things that Ali did for the world. My father was one of the biggest Ali fans.

You are old if you remember this song.
I don't know but could the singer get his head removed for the song???:a33:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts