6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're looking to trim large volumes of cases, I would recommend the Gracey or Giraud trimmer. I have a Gracey I use for .223 and it works great. Trims and chamfers the inside and out at the same time. I've considered ordering the adapter to trim 6.8 spc as well as I'm down to the last of the #2 Federal primed brass I ordered.

If you're looking to save money I've used Lee and RCBS manual trimmers. They work fine but will take more time to prep.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I've used a Lee cutter and lock stud with my power drill for years. Works great and it's cheap.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Frankford arsenal is the way to go. I have the Hornady prep station but it didn't hold up like I had hoped. It sheared a pin. Sent it in and it's never been the same. Now it overheats and has turned into a real pos. Replaced it with a frankford and glad I did. The hornady always struggled to maintain a constant oal anyways.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
L.E. Wilson case trimmer is very nice. I use a RCBS case prep center, works well. The carbide attachments are a must. I am really glad I bought a Hornady concentricity tool and neck thickness gauge. I am now able to monitor the quality of my loads now and correct any runout issues.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I use a Gracey for trimming .223/5.56, 6.8 and .308. I've probably trimmed over 5,000 cases with it. Works great. Only complaint is the blade that it ships with isn't as good as Giraud's blades. I replaced my original with the Giraud blade. Giraud is the best on the market but also the most expensive.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,

I actually have a full sized milling machine with three axis DRO. Frankly makes a heck of a way to trim cases ... except holding them has turned out to be something of a challenge. I tried the Lyman drill press holder. It's cutter is terrific, but the holder didn't hold up well and really doesn't hold cases tightly enough to do things like trimming 5.56 to 300 blk length. I made a holder that works for that job, but frankly I hate to make holders for each case head that I want to work.

I tried a Little Crow for 308s mounted in the spindle of the mill ... but did not find that it cuts brass very well. Was VERY disappointed.

Any ideas for a case holder?

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I like my LE Wilson trimmer, that said you gotta get caliber specific case holders. I wish they'd make a cutter/chamfer/deburr head.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts