6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Stag Arms 6.8 model 7, Stngr handguard, CMC NRA blue trig, Harrell tunable muzzle brake
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a batch of "once" fired primed brass from a friend of mine that he wanted me to load for him. Have any of you ever seen the start of case head separation on a 9mm?

1st for me if that's what it is.
Comments?

20210712_180600.jpg

·
Registered
624 Posts
I don't know what I am seeing, but don't think it is case head separation.

Primed brass? As in sized and primed? If so, It looks like it was sized in the wrong die. Measure the ID and OD of the case at the mouth.

·
Super Moderator
12,279 Posts
Looks like an extremely hot load.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
And the length.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Overpressure round or a not fully supported chamber for a round on the high end. I get them all the time in my 10mm AR. Rounds I can fire in my XDm I cant fire in my AR (Buffalo Bore comes to mind)

·
Registered
Stag Arms 6.8 model 7, Stngr handguard, CMC NRA blue trig, Harrell tunable muzzle brake
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OD .372 ID .352 at mouth L .746, ran into a few others while running them through my Lyman case gauge just to check them before adding powder and seating bullets. Different head stamps, FC. WIN. S&B.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks like a hot round that was fired in an unsupported glock chamber that created the "glock bulge" that was then resized??

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you asked your friend about these? That's where I'd start. What was he shooting or did he pick these up after someone else shot them. If you only have a few, he probably picked them up.

An open bolt will bulge the base and when sized you can get a ring around the base similar to that. Did you size that case or did it come from your friend that way? It looks like it was sized already.

Case head separation is not uncommon with a PPC using a blowback type carrier.

A glock bulge is formed only in one area at the base of the case...not all around.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He ordered them from someone and this is how I received them from him. I think they're 5 like that if I remember correctly, that's out of about 220 or so.
Thanks for all the information 👍

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's

·
Registered
624 Posts
He ordered them from someone and this is how I received them from him. I think they're 5 like that if I remember correctly, that's out of about 220 or so.
Thanks for all the information 👍
OK, a bit of misunderstanding. I assumed your friend had fired and resized the brass. Sounds like a mixture of brass from a vendor from a variety of unknown firearms.

Very well could be warm loads in unsupported chamber.

Is the bulge larger than the rim?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He got them from one of his buddies, never met the guy, so not sure what the story is with the brass. He just ask me if I could reload them for him. I owed him a couple dollars and instead of money this is what he wanted. Only 1 bulge bigger than the rim out of the five.

·
Registered
I like guns
55 Posts
Check the headstasmp and see if all 5 match. I had some either JC or JS 93 that did like that and it was in a pistol (Hi Power) that I knew had a good chamber.

·
Registered
624 Posts
He got them from one of his buddies, never met the guy, so not sure what the story is with the brass. He just ask me if I could reload them for him. I owed him a couple dollars and instead of money this is what he wanted. Only 1 bulge bigger than the rim out of the five.
'Once fired' with multiple headstamps. Sounds a lot like range pickup brass.

Do you know who resized and primed the brass?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope on the priming or resizing, he built me a couple of hydraulic hoses for my excavator and instead of cash he wanted me to reload this brass for him with my powder and bullets so I agreed since I had them. He handed me a plastic shopping bag that had around 220 pieces in it that he said he got from one of his other friends. Wanted 6 grains of Silhouette under 125 grain HP bullets.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A glock bulge is formed only in one area at the base of the case...not all around.
That didn't look like it went all the way around the case to me...at least from that angle. If it does it definitely isn't glock and I agree it could be subgun brass....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've never seen that either, thanks again for all of your input folks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts