6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
.260 Rem. More available brass. No Lapua for the 6.5 Creedmoor. There is a reason H chose it for the Nextgen as well. Just my opinion. I've researched both heavily as well.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I don't own either of these, but it seems like a toss up. If you don't reload, I'd check availability and prices of ammo. If you do reload, I'd check price and availability of components..especially brass. Seems like you are in the advanced stages of BRD. LOL Good luck Steve.:a16:

·
Registered
404 Posts
My buddy has owned a Savage Stryker pistol in 260 for a long time. I have shot and hunted with it quite a lot. Even with the short barrel it performs well.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.260 Rem. More available brass. No Lapua for the 6.5 Creedmoor. There is a reason H chose it for the Nextgen as well. Just my opinion. I've researched both heavily as well.
Wish H sold a .260 barrel in 26" or 28" length, been wanting to build an AR10 target rifle.

I don't own either of these, but it seems like a toss up. If you don't reload, I'd check availability and prices of ammo. If you do reload, I'd check price and availability of components..especially brass. Seems like you are in the advanced stages of BRD. LOL Good luck Steve.:a16:
Yes I am, it was in remission for awhile "while i was laid off" but I'm having a hard time fighting it off as of late. :a21:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If it was me and i was building an AR-10 i would opt for the creedmoore or Lapua becuase you have alot more flexibility with seating depth with all bullet wieghts while staying within the limits of the magazine. If it were to be a bolt gun the 260 Rem would be my choice more velocity potential there if needed and in the AI pattern magazines you can load out to just shy of 3.00" in McRee AI pattern and 2.90" in a AICS magazine. I have a McGowen 26" 260 Rem barrel still in the shipping tube when i get around to it.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was me and i was building an AR-10 i would opt for the creedmoore or Lapua becuase you have alot more flexibility with seating depth with all bullet wieghts while staying within the limits of the magazine. If it were to be a bolt gun the 260 Rem would be my choice more velocity potential there if needed and in the AI pattern magazines you can load out to just shy of 3.00" in McRee AI pattern and 2.90" in a AICS magazine. I have a McGowen 26" 260 Rem barrel still in the shipping tube when i get around to it.
It'll be either the .260 or the creedmoor. Although the Lapua brass for the .260 is nice the Creedmoor has Hornady, Norma and Nosler brass available. I've been thinking Creedmoor but there's just something that keeps the .260 in my mind. Ive actually been on the order screens at the purchase order button for both barrels several times over the last few days and backed out, lol. but I'm leaning towards the Creed just for the fact of what you said about the COAL and the mag limit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hillbillystyle If I was going to target shoot only I would probably lean towards the Creedmore. If I was just hunting only or if I was doing a little of both and had to go with one gun, then it would be the 260 with a 26" tube. That is with a bolt gun in both cases.

Now, if you are set on going with the AR-10, I don't know for sure. Don't know where to look on that one. I do know that several people have been playing with the 260 Look on 6mmbr.com and take a look at some of that stuff. They have a section in there all about the 6.5 I would have to go back and look since it has been awhile since I was there, but the 6.5 X 47 Lapua is giving some of the guys a run. You will see what I, would have done, if I was going to bring out the 260, and that is give it a little longer neck, and change the shoulder to 30 degrees. You would not loose any room for the powder. I had known about the "6.5-08 as we called it for many years before Jim Carmicheal ( 6.5 Panther) and Remington brought the 260 out. I was surprised that A-square didn't sue Remington for stealing their cartridge. There is all kinds of 6.5s now. But you may want to stay with something popular for brass sake.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hillbillystyle If I was going to target shoot only I would probably lean towards the Creedmore. If I was just hunting only or if I was doing a little of both and had to go with one gun, then it would be the 260 with a 26" tube. That is with a bolt gun in both cases.

Now, if you are set on going with the AR-10, I don't know for sure. Don't know where to look on that one. I do know that several people have been playing with the 260 Look on 6mmbr.com and take a look at some of that stuff. They have a section in there all about the 6.5 I would have to go back and look since it has been awhile since I was there, but the 6.5 X 47 Lapua is giving some of the guys a run. You will see what I, would have done, if I was going to bring out the 260, and that is give it a little longer neck, and change the shoulder to 30 degrees. You would not loose any room for the powder. I had known about the "6.5-08 as we called it for many years before Jim Carmicheal ( 6.5 Panther) and Remington brought the 260 out. I was surprised that A-square didn't sue Remington for stealing their cartridge. There is all kinds of 6.5s now. But you may want to stay with something popular for brass sake.
Keep us posted.
It's mainly gonna be a long range target rifle but i wouldn't be opposed to taking some game with it. And yes I'm set on an AR10, because I've never owned one. You way more versed on the cartridge than I am for sure but the more info i gather will help me make a decision. Thanks.

·
10,536 Posts
Rumor is the CM is better for AR's. Plenty of 260s seem to be working okay though.

PSA had 120 amax Creedmoor loads on sale for $15 around Christmas. Really accurate and I am about to start loading the brass.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rumor is the CM is better for AR's. Plenty of 260s seem to be working okay though.

PSA had 120 amax Creedmoor loads on sale for $15 around Christmas. Really accurate and I am about to start loading the brass.
Thats a great deal, you have a 6.5 CM?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ive never done it, but it looks like you could make CM brass out of 308 Lapua small primer brass pretty easy. I have a 6.5CM in a Ruger match bolt gun with a 28 inch barrel. Hornady brass gives up the primer pockets so easy when pushed a little. Giving Lapua brass a try may spark new interest with my gun.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I went with the CM due to cheaper factory loads. I do plan to reload but its going to be a while.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
The good thing is Black Hole has the Creed barrels ready to ship at 20% off right now. Lots of lengths available. They dropped one in FedEx for me Friday and I don't even own an AR10. That will be corrected soon though.

Greg

·
10,536 Posts

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Just to mix things up a bit, since you're going with an AR-10, have you considered the 7mm-08 at all? It has a tremendous selection of bullets, and is a ballistically superior caliber. That's where I'd be going on a 10 instead of 6.5.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Just to mix things up a bit, since you're going with an AR-10, have you considered the 7mm-08 at all? It has a tremendous selection of bullets, and is a ballistically superior caliber. That's where I'd be going on a 10 instead of 6.5.
I'm with you. Countless hours of research and that is where I keep ending up other than the .308. The 7-08 is my next AR 10 project.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I'm with you. Countless hours of research and that is where I keep ending up other than the .308. The 7-08 is my next AR 10 project.
I used it for silhouette back in the 80's with the 162 gr. Hornady match bullet in a Rem 700 heavy barrel. God, what a tremendous set up that was. It was easy to knock down 500 meter rams with that. I'd love to see how that load would do against a 260 Rem.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The good thing is Black Hole has the Creed barrels ready to ship at 20% off right now. Lots of lengths available. They dropped one in FedEx for me Friday and I don't even own an AR10. That will be corrected soon though.

Greg
Yep, Ive had it on the buy page several times already, just wish it was a bull barrel because that's what i want.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts