6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
You probably have to upload to YouTube or something similar and then link it here. If that's too much (not wanting to create work for ya) a pic will do.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's very cool, but you know the rules.... Give us some specs orr at least some details!
Barrel was built from 3 1/2” steel pipe with 3” bore. Breech is a 3” circle of 1” thick steel with 4 weld passes. Shape around breech was made by welding/shaping five pounds of 7018 welding rods. Bell of barrel was made by welding and hammering a 1/4” x 1 1/4” steel strap. Trunnions were made from a hydraulic ram.

Carriage is antique 4x6 pine that turned to fat lighter many years ago. Wheels are from an industrial fire extinguisher. Axle is a piece of steel tubing covered with notched 4x4 with tractor hitch pins for spindles. The trunnion mounts I cut/welded from strap and tube steel. The tail is also 4x6, and the elevation adjustment was made from a large “C” clamp.

I’m gonna try to learn to post a video, because it’s freakin cool when this this thing fires. We found a good load yesterday with 1/4 pound of ffg. It throws a HUGE fireball!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Drop a ball on top of the powder charge and you've got a nice looking pipe bomb. That is one dangerous creation you have made. Cannon's have very thick walls for a very good reason. At least go find a piece of heavy wall Schedule 80 A106 or thicker pipe and get some Cannon powder. FFg is way too fast burning and generates too much initial pressure. That thing WILL blow up!

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drop a ball on top of the powder charge and you've got a nice looking pipe bomb. That is one dangerous creation you have made. Cannon's have very thick walls for a very good reason. At least go find a piece of heavy wall Schedule 80 A106 or thicker pipe and get some Cannon powder. FFg is way too fast burning and generates too much initial pressure. That thing WILL blow up!
The pipe I used is schedule 160, and I should have mentioned that. I got it from a friend who makes cannons for re-enactments. Didn’t build it to shoot anything, just to make noise, and told the fellow I made it for NOT to shoot anything from it. I provided some 1” thick 3” diameter wood discs to make a bit of pressure. I also told him what you said about the powder.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If nothing else, you seem to be one hell of a craftsman.
Where does the line start for the Gatling Gun? 45-70?
Just kidding of course. I'm not so sure about the FL folk.....they're a little out there. And I like that.
Thanks, I enjoyed building it, even though it took several months to source parts and assemble. Now, my wife wants me to build another for us to keep....

·
Registered
537 Posts
might could make the barrel out of chorme moly and launch softballs n cans?
Not nearly as impressive as 303's field artillery, It's only 66 mm, but it is made for launching tennis balls and canned beverages.

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Wood

Hood Automotive design Sleeve Motor vehicle Grey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts