6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to plan my first pig hunt here in CA and was advised to wait because of the drought. A friend who has hunted central CA said the drought has severely affected crops and thus the pig population. It has also lead to an increase in disease afflicting the pigs. I was wondering if this was true and looking for advise. Should I plan on going to TX? I hear they have a pig or two worth shooting haha. Cheers T1

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Well we had no problems killing a ton o hogs during archery A Zone, and they had a ton of fat on them. Lots of acorns this year. As for disease, not where we are. Are looking at going on public or private land? I would say TX would be better even if it were not a drought year. way pay a ton of money to shoot one hog, when you could pay money to shoot a bunch of hogs. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Well we had no problems killing a ton o hogs during archery A Zone, and they had a ton of fat on them. Lots of acorns this year. As for disease, not where we are. Are looking at going on public or private land? I would say TX would be better even if it were not a drought year. way pay a ton of money to shoot one hog, when you could pay money to shoot a bunch of hogs. Just my two cents.
A couple of the wineries we talked to said the drought knocked their pigs back a lot this year. I second Texas. Go see HTR at Wild River Ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
GA is an option. My son and I had two nights of fantastic hunting with Hal, owner of Hog SWAT, near Albany. We killed seven each night. Opportunities ranged from singles to pairs to sounders of six or seven. Ranges were from about 25yds to about 85yds.

Hal has loaner AR's set up with thermal if you don't have your own thermal weapon sight.

JPK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts