6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
I have both and like them both. For the price, it is hard to beat the C-Products 25 rounders. The good thing about the PRI is that you can load them longer. I have six of the C-Products and they all function perfectly. What else can you ask for? Either they work or they don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
until they don't :wink:

Or until the dropped dirty kicked stepped on extra. I will stick with PRI when lives are at stake like my wife and little girls and CP when there not or for playing games
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The post that got my attention was the one where 44mag stated that he's seen more problems with PRI mags than he has with the C-Products. Although 44mag does seem like a pretty reputable magazine dealer his info seems to be contrary to what 99% of the people say on here.

I did go and look on 44's website and noticed that he doesn't even sell PRI mags as far as I could find? I wonder if he's talking about the old PRI's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Tim_W said:
until they don't :wink:

Or until the dropped dirty kicked stepped on extra. I will stick with PRI when lives are at stake like my wife and little girls and CP when there not or for playing games
How do you really feel about the C-Products mags? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is obvious that you don't like the C-Products mags for whatever reason. I honestly think that they are good mags, especially for the price and I would have no problems using them. I don't see them being that much different in quality over the USGI 556 mags. Shit, even Stephen_ATS loves tham and think the PRI are pieces of crap. Go figure. I just think that you are a little too harsh on the C-Products mags. They are what they are. The last thing we need is to piss off C-Products and have them turn around and just stop making them. I know if I was a company making an affordable mag that worked very well and kept hearing shit from the 6.8SPC experts, I'd seriously consider just saying fuck it. What's the point of making them when I could be focusing on other products such as the .308 and AR-47 mags? Just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,477 Posts
paulosantos said:
Tim_W said:
until they don't :wink:

Or until the dropped dirty kicked stepped on extra. I will stick with PRI when lives are at stake like my wife and little girls and CP when there not or for playing games
How do you really feel about the C-Products mags? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is obvious that you don't like the C-Products mags for whatever reason. I honestly think that they are good mags, especially for the price and I would have no problems using them. I don't see them being that much different in quality over the USGI 556 mags. Shit, even Stephen_ATS loves them and think the PRI are pieces of crap. Go figure. I just think that you are a little too harsh on the C-Products mags. They are what they are. The last thing we need is to piss off C-Products and have them turn around and just stop making them. I know if I was a company making an affordable mag that worked very well and kept hearing shit from the 6.8SPC experts, I'd seriously consider just saying fuck it. What's the point of making them when I could be focusing on other products such as the .308 and AR-47 mags? Just my opinion.
+1

I have to agree with Paulo on this one...

Sorry Tim, But I have old "goldfish" GI issue ALUMINUM body M16 mags from Vietnam that have been stepped on, beat up, dropped repeatedly, left fully loaded for years...and they still function reliably.

Now take a CP mag with a more durable Stainless Steel body and a follower that is a third generation improved version...and I would take these into combat conditions without hesitation. They are easily an improvement on the older GI issue 5.56 mags.

BTW..I have disassembled about 10 of the newest CP mags and have compared the springs to GI issue and see no apparent differences or shortcuts in quality. They may not be Tubbs quality springs, but they appear to be as good as GI issue.

Kerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
owenslee said:
paulosantos said:
Tim_W said:
until they don't :wink:

Or until the dropped dirty kicked stepped on extra. I will stick with PRI when lives are at stake like my wife and little girls and CP when there not or for playing games
How do you really feel about the C-Products mags? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is obvious that you don't like the C-Products mags for whatever reason. I honestly think that they are good mags, especially for the price and I would have no problems using them. I don't see them being that much different in quality over the USGI 556 mags. Shit, even Stephen_ATS loves them and think the PRI are pieces of crap. Go figure. I just think that you are a little too harsh on the C-Products mags. They are what they are. The last thing we need is to piss off C-Products and have them turn around and just stop making them. I know if I was a company making an affordable mag that worked very well and kept hearing shit from the 6.8SPC experts, I'd seriously consider just saying fuck it. What's the point of making them when I could be focusing on other products such as the .308 and AR-47 mags? Just my opinion.
+1

I have to agree with Paulo on this one...

Sorry Tim, But I have old "goldfish" GI issue ALUMINUM body M16 mags from Vietnam that have been stepped on, beat up, dropped repeatedly, left fully loaded for years...and they still function reliably.

Now take a CP mag with a more durable Stainless Steel body and a follower that is a third generation improved version...and I would take these into combat conditions without hesitation. They are easily an improvement on the older GI issue 5.56 mags.

BTW..I have disassembled about 10 of the newest CP mags and have compared the springs to GI issue and see no apparent differences or shortcuts in quality. They may not be Tubbs quality springs, but they appear to be as good as GI issue.

Kerry
That's the way I see it. Either they are reliable or not. The only way to find out is to try them. I have 6 of the C-Products mags that I have shot a ton at the range without any problems. What else can I ask for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
I had a ton of problems with the old PRI's, but the new one's have been 100%. So have the new CP mags except the one with Marlube that came with my LWRC, the fight is tight and has to be pulled out, won't drop free. It still feeds 100% though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
NO I like the CP mags jsut fine. I own 6 of them and use them frequently but for target and training only. The loaded mag that is in the gun when I go to be at night and the 5 others in the pouches next to it are PRis. Because if I ever have to pull a trigger more then once the last thing I want to be reliving the rest of my life is the silence when I pull the trigger instead of a boom and seeing my loved ones die all becasue I wanted to go cheap cause they seem to be good enough when I knew for a fact there was something better that was not prohibitively expensive. As RCrandall why he only uses Barretts on duty and CP for practice.. There is not a single person that knows mags that can holds a PRI and a CP and says they are both of equal quality. The fact is if you change to a stronger steel that PRI uses $5 and then upgrade the spring $10 to what PRI uses you are paying very little extra for the PRI label. I am never going to understand why people have trouble spending money on a good barrel and bolt but will buy a $300 hand guard or will have not trouble buying box after box of $20 a box ammo that at least 2 boxes will be gone in one range session but have trouble spending $40 on a mag that will last almost forever.

Match Barrel and LMT E bolt top accuracy useful life 10,000 rounds Cost $500

10,000 round (even reloads @ .35 per round $3,500) factory $8,000

Barrel and bolt cost per round $0.05

Mag life 20,000 and that's only needing a $10 spring change but for the sake of argument $40: $0.002 per round

When you put things in perspective its insignificant the money spent.

Yet an area you can save money that has zero effect on quality or performance and people turn away when you mention annealing their case necks which will double the life of the cases which will cut your case cost by 50% and with only 1K cases pay for itself and that is if you buy the most expensive auto annealer on the market.

Just something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,444 Posts
all of my go to mags are PRI, I have one Cproducts you can tell the difference between the two. I will continue to buy all PRI mags until something better comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Tim_W said:
When you put things in perspective its insignificant the money spent.

Yet an area you can save money that has zero effect on quality or performance and people turn away when you mention annealing their case necks which will double the life of the cases which will cut your case cost by 50% and with only 1K cases pay for itself and that is if you buy the most expensive auto annealer on the market.

Just something to think about.
Well you have to pick your battles in life and spend the money where it matters. I have a feeling you'd be shocked by how little most AR-15 owners actually shoot their weapons and therefore, how little a difference the increase in quality of the magazine makes in their life. Seriously, most folks know the .223 is not a really effective round but how many go with it anyway just to save money when they shoot? How many even care enough to move up to the 6.8? And what are the actual chances you'll ever have to defend your life with your weapon? Pretty damn low. In my case, you kick in my door and you'll get greeted with an 8" SBS Saiga 12 gauge, with 21 rounds of tactical 00 buckshot on tap.

I could spend the money on lots of things from stockpiling food in the event of an emergency, to 6.8 SPC magazines, to buying a new, more efficient water heater or for CFL's. That new, more efficient water heater and the CFL's will definitely save me money in the long run unless I die first. That pricier magazine? Well it might save me aggravation but probably not money.

It's all a question of priorities and personal choice and that's what makes this country great, we can make that decision. Personally, I buy PRI magazines for the same reason I bought a Noveske, I find that quality pays for itself in the long run. But I still understand where folks are coming from that want the cheapest solution.

And I also understand that I can't do that everywhere. It's phenomenal how much money you can spend on trivial details when you start buying the best of everything. Sure, I had to replace the toilet hardware in a couple toilets around the house last week. I got good stuff but I didn't buy the best. Why? Well for the same reason that people buy cheaper magazines. You spend it where it matters to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Zippy said:
Tim_W said:
When you put things in perspective its insignificant the money spent.

Yet an area you can save money that has zero effect on quality or performance and people turn away when you mention annealing their case necks which will double the life of the cases which will cut your case cost by 50% and with only 1K cases pay for itself and that is if you buy the most expensive auto annealer on the market.

Just something to think about.
Well you have to pick your battles in life and spend the money where it matters. I have a feeling you'd be shocked by how little most AR-15 owners actually shoot their weapons and therefore, how little a difference the increase in quality of the magazine makes in their life. Seriously, most folks know the .223 is not a really effective round but how many go with it anyway just to save money when they shoot? How many even care enough to move up to the 6.8? And what are the actual chances you'll ever have to defend your life with your weapon? Pretty damn low. In my case, you kick in my door and you'll get greeted with an 8" SBS Saiga 12 gauge, with 21 rounds of tactical 00 buckshot on tap.

I could spend the money on lots of things from stockpiling food in the event of an emergency, to 6.8 SPC magazines, to buying a new, more efficient water heater or for CFL's. That new, more efficient water heater and the CFL's will definitely save me money in the long run unless I die first. That pricier magazine? Well it might save me aggravation but probably not money.

It's all a question of priorities and personal choice and that's what makes this country great, we can make that decision. Personally, I buy PRI magazines for the same reason I bought a Noveske, I find that quality pays for itself in the long run. But I still understand where folks are coming from that want the cheapest solution.

And I also understand that I can't do that everywhere. It's phenomenal how much money you can spend on trivial details when you start buying the best of everything. Sure, I had to replace the toilet hardware in a couple toilets around the house last week. I got good stuff but I didn't buy the best. Why? Well for the same reason that people buy cheaper magazines. You spend it where it matters to you.
Very well put.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Absolutely. Everything is a balancing act no doubt. My only point being these are one time purchases that for all practical purposes never will need replacing. Some people have to be very careful and plan their purchases but for 99% of Americans they spend more on coffee, fast food then it would cost to buy a few of the PRi or pick some other item or whatever every month. You get to 1 if all you need is for HD. IF its really for total defense preparedness then 6-10 but once you have them you are done.Its as simple as working out a budget. If you can't afford it now then get a CP and work toward getting something better. But after all of this it is only nothing more then my opinion and whether it makes logical sense or not doesn't change the fact thats its only my opinion and everyone has one and will choose what they think is improtant. But when you have people that beleive a LaRue or DD rail is absolutely necessary which does almost nothing for reliablity of the weapons basic function but then are not willing to spend money on something that really effects function makes little sense to me personally. But that is me and obviously others will see it differently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
Tim_W said:
Absolutely. Everything is a balancing act no doubt. My only point being these are one time purchases that for all practical purposes never will need replacing. Some people have to be very careful and plan their purchases but for 99% of Americans they spend more on coffee, fast food then it would cost to buy a few of the PRi or pick some other item or whatever every month. You get to 1 if all you need is for HD. IF its really for total defense preparedness then 6-10 but once you have them you are done.Its as simple as working out a budget. If you can't afford it now then get a CP and work toward getting something better. But after all of this it is only nothing more then my opinion and whether it makes logical sense or not doesn't change the fact thats its only my opinion and everyone has one and will choose what they think is improtant. But when you have people that beleive a LaRue or DD rail is absolutely necessary which does almost nothing for reliablity of the weapons basic function but then are not willing to spend money on something that really effects function makes little sense to me personally. But that is me and obviously others will see it differently.
Tim, I don't think anyone is going to argue with your logic. Most guys here are intelligent enough to understand the differences in the mags and choose what is best for them. This isn't BARFCOM or M4Carbine where everyone has to have Millspec everything just to go hunting or have a good time at the range plinking. The last thing we need here is a "Chart" with the Tier 1, 2, and 3 mags.

The whole point is to understand the strengths and weakmesses of each mag and get what is best for you. The PRI and Barrett mags are the BEST, but the C-Products (25 Rounders) are also GOOD. If I were to ever use my 6.8SPC for work, I would definitely go out and get 6 PRI 25 round magazines, but if I didn't have the money, I'd have no problem/no choice using the C-Products 25 rounders until I had enough money to get the PRI. If the C-Products mags weren't GOOD enough, I wouldn't be making that statement.

FYI: I've had 3 Barrett mags that absolutely sucked ass. I've also had the first generation C-Products 17 and 25 rounders that also sucked ass. And surprisingly, I've had one PRI mg that also sucked ass. So I guess that I should just single load my AR since I've had problems with every mag in the past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Interesting side comment:

I have 2 CP mags that I am using for testing/range use. Both feed well so far, both fit in my LMT lower just fine and drop free.

I bought 10 PRI waffle mags, 5 of them drop free, 4 need a tug out of the mag well, 1 is a real son of a bitch and is REALLY tight. Length front to back when looking down at the mag lips is all over the place dimension-wise.

GI 5.56 mags, 15% of them are snug/very tight in the LMT lower, yet all are fine in 2 Bushmaster lowers (which are generally known to be tight).

I cannot find my receipt for my LMT lower to send it back so I don't even know if LMT will exchange it for one that isn't so tight. (I have to call them Weds and I'll update my situation then).

I find the easier option may be to move the LMT over to my 5.56 carbine and sell the 15% of my mags that don't drop free, and use the 5.56's old lower on my new 6.8 - at least then 90% of the 6.8 mags will drop free/not need a sharp tug to get them out of the lower.

So based up on my admittedly small sample, I can't say that I'm impressed with LMT or PRI as neither play nice with each other. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
billclo said:
Interesting side comment:

I have 2 CP mags that I am using for testing/range use. Both feed well so far, both fit in my LMT lower just fine and drop free.

I bought 10 PRI waffle mags, 5 of them drop free, 4 need a tug out of the mag well, 1 is a real son of a bitch and is REALLY tight. Length front to back when looking down at the mag lips is all over the place dimension-wise.

GI 5.56 mags, 15% of them are snug/very tight in the LMT lower, yet all are fine in 2 Bushmaster lowers (which are generally known to be tight).

I cannot find my receipt for my LMT lower to send it back so I don't even know if LMT will exchange it for one that isn't so tight. (I have to call them Weds and I'll update my situation then).

I find the easier option may be to move the LMT over to my 5.56 carbine and sell the 15% of my mags that don't drop free, and use the 5.56's old lower on my new 6.8 - at least then 90% of the 6.8 mags will drop free/not need a sharp tug to get them out of the lower.

So based up on my admittedly small sample, I can't say that I'm impressed with LMT or PRI as neither play nice with each other. :shock:
Bill, I would take those tight PRI mags and call PRI and get them exchanged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
There's a third reason some of us, well me, got C-Products over a more expensive and possibly higher quality magazine. Availability!

When I got my upper the only magazines I could get were the C-Products, and I had to order them direct.

I've had nothing but good luck with them and would not hesitate to buy more. In fact I am awaiting 4 more from Palmetto as I type (along with a single Barrett to compare). I guess I really should get a couple PRI and see if my gun likes them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
I wish Brownells would start making a 6.8 version of their magazines. Their 5.56 GI alum mags with Magpul followers and Ranger floorplates are in my opinion the best of breed, regardless of cost. I own 30 of them, and I have put five of them through prob 7,500 rounds to date without a single hiccup.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top