6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up to now, I have had great luck with C Products mags (in 5.56), but today was my first trip to the range with my 6.8 (A whole 'nuther story), and thanks to the C Products straight 18 mag,
I had a one shot rifle. Mine were recently purchased (from Cardinal Armory) and have black followers. These are the straight 18 round jobs. I load 2 rounds and the tail end of the top round
is so low that the bolt won't strip it from the magazine. It gets rapidly worse with more more rounds (I haven't had any inclination to go beyond 4 or 5). Even one round is a bit tipped.

In summary: The C products 18 round straight magazine is worthless and does not work!!

I purchased 4 of the 18 round straight magazines, and 2 of the 25 round curved. The 25 round curved mags work PERFECTLY (well they look like they do --
I just loaded one up and everything looks perfect, which certainly isn't the case for the 18 round mag). Both have what look like exactly identical black followers.
I spent some time scratching my head looking this over, got out my green follower 5.56 C products mags and verified that I hadn't accidentally been shipped 5.56 magazines.

Reading a bit in this list, I see I am not the first to have "issues" with the straight 18 round C Products magazine. I can't believe they even ship these things since they simply do not
work!!! Monday, I will make some calls and see if I can exchange these. Given the disaster with Cardinal Armory, I don't expect I can deal with them, so I will see what a call to C Products
will do for me.

I am posting just to put my experience on the record, and who knows what wisdom may come forth from all of you.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. Might be less aggravation to throw it in the trash and get some other mags! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yup, those strait 18 rounders are pure crap. The old curved 18 rounders worked great so they quit making those, of course.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I purchased 4 of them a while back.
Three of them worked fine and the fourth one had intermittent problems.

8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well C Products has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee, so I'll ship them back and see if they
will swap me for 25 round magazines. (They should, their online catalog lists either at the same
price, namely $14.00).

Then I am in the market for a reliable 18 or 10 round magazine.

I worry about what I read regarding the PRI magazines (namely that they stick in the mag well).

Maybe that is OK for "at the range".

I wonder what folks use that are putting their lives on the line?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got my 6.8 pri mags today from palmetto. Anyway the 10rd wont drop free but the 15rd will. Guess I won't have to worry about accidentaly loosing the 10rd out in the woods or field. :) As long as they function while loaded its no prob with me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had issues with CP's straight mags with grey followers. Out of six, 3 feed OK. On two I dremeled the hell out of them and they function and dont scratch the brass anymore. I am not impressed with the grey anti-tilt follower and spring tension feels wimpy. I am contimplating sending the rest that I didnt dremel back. Maybe they will exchange for some 25 rounders?

I ordered 5 PRI's 15 rounder waffle mags and had no issues other than the price. But if you are dropping $1000 - 1500 on a upper, you might as well buy quality mags like the PRI's. I like mine.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
dont forget about them there Barretts. they might be a little longer but they wont stick and feed great.

just my .02 cents...........

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have 2 of the C-Products 18 round straight mags, and neither of them worked when I got them. Tweaking the lips helped with one, but it still wasn't right so I tweaked them back to original. I took a Dremel and opened them up to match the 25 round mag in front of the lips and dropped in the 5.56 Gen3 forest green Magpul followers and haven't had a FTF since. The only problem with this combination is sometimes it doesn't hold the bolt open after the last shot. They also reduce the capacity to 15 rounds, but I don't think that's a major problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 25rd CProducts mags worked great today. My 10 and 15rd PRI waffle mags work great and drop free just fine. The straight-sided PRI mags would not drop free at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since I started this thread, I thought I would come back and show pictures before I send these
magazines back.

By the way, I am solidly of the opinion of not blinking an eye over spending 30-40 bucks for a magazine if that is
what it takes for the rifle to be reliable. As folks say, it is kinda silly to fuss over a few bucks for magazines after
spending hundreds of dollars on a gun or an upper.

Anyway, here are the two C products in question, the 25 and the 18:

And here they are from the top, the 25 rounder on top, the 18 on the bottom.
The followers look the same, but the feed lips ARE different:

Below is the 25 round magazine with 18 or so rounds in it, looks fine:

Below is the 18 round magazine with 1 round, a bit fishy:

Below we have 2 rounds loaded, the bolt won't strip this round:

And below we have 4 rounds in an 18 round magazine and nobody is happy.
This angle is how they naturally want to sit.

The ammo being used for this test is SSA 90 grain varminter (good stuff by the way).

Now I can jiggle the rounds and get them flush up against the feed lips, but it is quite
clear that the spring is not pushing them square up against the lips as it does with the
25 round magazine, they want to pivot on the front edge of the feed lips and adopt the
angle photographed. And so there you have it.

As a bonus, I figured out how to get photos on the site. Now I'll ship these mags back and order
some Barretts. (I can get 2 mags that work, for just a little more than 4 that won't).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Uncle_Tom said:
Well C Products has a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee, so I'll ship them back and see if they
will swap me for 25 round magazines. (They should, their online catalog lists either at the same
price, namely $14.00).

Then I am in the market for a reliable 18 or 10 round magazine.

I worry about what I read regarding the PRI magazines (namely that they stick in the mag well).

Maybe that is OK for "at the range".

I wonder what folks use that are putting their lives on the line?
LOts of luck I been waiting 2 mounrhs for replacements

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't own any of the 18rd CP mags but I have 15 of thier 25rd mags they all work fine.
I keep the PRI mags in the rifles for HD but if I only had the CPs I'd feel comfortable based on my experiances with them. You're right though I haven't heard any good things about thier 18rd mags. If you send them in have them swap them out for the 25rd mags, they'll do it at no charge.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The first CP mag I got was a 10 rounder and to be honest....it is my favorite of my mags. I cant explain why. I also got a PRI 25 waffler and a CP 25 rounder. The 25 CP that I have was a replacement for a 18 round CP straight mag that failed after 3 shots out of the box and every other shot after that. I called CP and let them know of the issue and the replaced the 18 with a 25 and it only took a couple weeks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just bought 10 of the CP 18 round mags.

One works; nine are going back for a refund.

I have 30 of the 25-round CP mags, and they all work fine. CP needs to restart the production line for the curved 17 round mags.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
caporider said:
CP needs to put a good follower in the 18 round mags.

FTFY.

Change out the follower to these and I bet they will work just fine. I did, and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
410 Posts
caporider said:
Just bought 10 of the CP 18 round mags.

One works; nine are going back for a refund.

I have 30 of the 25-round CP mags, and they all work fine. CP needs to restart the production line for the curved 17 round mags.
The bitch of it is they used to make a curved 18 rounder that worked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts