6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question for the forum. What buttstock do you all recommend? I like the LUTH-AR, but I also like Magpul, so what do you guys recommend.
Thank you,
Bergie

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I personally like the Magpul PRS for a rifle length and the VLTOR EMOD for a carbine length.
At 6'2" I'm not real tall but they both seem to fit me better than most other offerings I've tried and they are quality built.
Neither one would be most people's first choice if minimum weight is a consideration.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I like the Luth-AR and have run that on my silhouette gun for over a year now. I did not like the weight of the Magpul PRS nor did I like the price. I will be upgrading mine to the new 3 way adjustable butt plate since I shoot prone and can use the cast adjustment for a better NPA across the line.

But, how will this rifle be used? I assume you are comparing the Luth-AR MBA1 to the Magpul PRS stock? Or are you talking about their carbine stocks or fixed stocks?

-Alexander

·
Registered
360 Posts
The luth are ok. I've never really needed to adjust comb height. I've always been partial to fixed stocks. I like the ace skeletons . Very sturdy I prefer a pull slightly shorter than standard rifle so I get the entry length with a 1" dpms spacer and the thicker butt pad is perfect length , not only is it a good length for me, but the delrin tube has no spring twang. The Rogers ss are great no play in those my preferred economy adj stock. The mft minimalist is a good lightweight adj option.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I like the magpul CTR,s for carbines and the UBR with the door removed for the heavier rifles

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I like the acs-l and the vltor carbine stocks. I've been eyeballing the luthar carbine stocks. I'll be trying one of those in the near future. Didn't care for my ace skeleton stock. Just personal preferences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Decision made

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate all your suggestions. I decided to go with the Magpul UBR buttstock, so now I have a new question. When I contacted Magpul to order the UBR, they say I need a "carbine buffer & spring, as the UBR doesn't come with that. So my next question what buffer/buffer spring do you all suggest? I see different weights and such so again i'm looking to you all for more advice...

Thank you,
Bergie

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I prefer the UBR as its plenty heavy which counter balances a forward heavy rifle. Making it easier to aim off hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think it's always best to start with standard weight buffer and spring, you then can tune it later once it runs good and is broken in.

-Alexander

·
Registered
64 Posts
FWIW prefer fixed stocks. They are sturdier and don't pull the beard hairs. Plus I'm not a nose-to-charge-handle guy, would have been awkward with an M16A1

Two lowers have Magpul MOE Rifle stocks. Balances a 16" barrel nicely, storage compartment, and a good length for me even when wearing heavy winter clothing. Trying out a Luth-AR with a 18" barreled 5.56. Like it.

I have one adjustable lower, a Magpul CTR, locks up tight.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
A1 or A2 here, the magpul moe or the leapers A2 is all i use

·
Registered
900 Posts
The UBR stock uses a standard carbine buffer and spring(which you need to buy). It comes with its own buffer tube and the end plate is built in, so you dont need that either.

·
Registered
906 Posts
B5 SOPMOD Bravo is my favorite stock. Fantastic cheek weld, reasonable weight, simple design, and it's good enough for SEALs.

I had a fixed MOE stock on my hunting rifle but took it it off after one hunting season. IMO, the advantages of a fixed stock don't outweigh the adjustable LOP and compactness of the collapsible stock.

·
Registered
483 Posts
+1 on the JP polished carbine spring. It isn't terribly expensive and the ARs I have seem to cycle smoother. Standard carbine buffer to start, don't waste money on some fancy buffer unless you have an adjustable gas block. Love the UBR, my favorite stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts