6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and new to the 6.8. I just acquired an AR chambered in 6.8. I've been reloading for many years but have no experience with 6.8 bullets. I am researching bullets and would like ask those who are experienced what bullet would you recommend for feral hogs. I generally neck shoot pigs but do take the occasional shoulder shot when they have their head buried in a baited hole.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You should get recommendations on everything from 90 gold dots to 120 gr cavity back solid copper, but the most commonly used bullet for general hog control has been 120 gr Hornady sst’s. Economical and effective.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm new here and new to the 6.8. I just acquired an AR chambered in 6.8. I've been reloading for many years but have no experience with 6.8 bullets. I am researching bullets and would like ask those who are experienced what bullet would you recommend for feral hogs. I generally neck shoot pigs but do take the occasional shoulder shot when they have their head buried in a baited hole.
I have experience with the 6.8 and the .277 Wolverine. As chopper said, the 120 SST is devastating. I have used the 110 grain Vmax on deer and Hogs. Though not my favorite bullet, it did the job. I also load 90 grain gold dots (very lethal), and 95 grain ttsx (yet to be tested but super accurate).

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

Reactions: WVHunter1s1k

·
Vendor
2,225 Posts
There are no better bullets than the Cavity Back Bullets for the 6.8 SPC.
Either the 105 grain MKZ or the 120 grain MKZ.
They are not the cheapest but they are the best. As well they are always in stock. Which these days is huge.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Since you mentioned being a loader I assume you are talking about bullets to load yourself . If so the best for deer and hog is #1cavity back then #2 nosler accubond #3 would be Hornady SST . If you are asking about factory Cavity back just recently became an option so #1 is still cavity back #2 S&B 110 pts #3 Hornady SST . The SST is a very misunderstood bullet . Some people think it fragments because it has a thin jacket but that is wrong ,it fragments because it has a thick tough jacket which leads to jacket seperation which causes the fragmentation . On small to medium size deer Hornady SSTs nose fragments very early leaving a copper jacketed wad cutter to punch a round hole through the lungs , about time it hits off side ribs the core seperates doing massive damage to the ribs and seldom leaves an exit hole . Not particularly optimum performance . This leads people to falsely believe 120 SST is not suited for hogs or bigger deer but just the opposite .If a large rib ,thick gristle or leg bone is encountered on entrance the jacket peels back past the crimp groove ( where the jacket gets thicker ) and continues to expand and holds together leaving a large exit wound and good internal damage .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since you mentioned being a loader I assume you are talking about bullets to load yourself . If so the best for deer and hog is #1cavity back then #2 nosler accubond #3 would be Hornady SST . If you are asking about factory Cavity back just recently became an option so #1 is still cavity back #2 S&B 110 pts #3 Hornady SST . The SST is a very misunderstood bullet . Some people think it fragments because it has a thin jacket but that is wrong ,it fragments because it has a thick tough jacket which leads to jacket separation which causes the fragmentation . On small to medium size deer Hornady SSTs nose fragments very early leaving a copper jacketed wad cutter to punch a round hole through the lungs , about time it hits off side ribs the core separates doing massive damage to the ribs and seldom leaves an exit hole . Not particularly optimum performance . This leads people to falsely believe 120 SST is not suited for hogs or bigger deer but just the opposite .If a large rib ,thick gristle or leg bone is encountered on entrance the jacket peels back past the crimp groove ( where the jacket gets thicker ) and continues to expand and holds together leaving a large exit wound and good internal damage .

Yes I will be loading them myself. I should have been more specific. I have used the Hornady SST for many years in several different calibers and I have had nothing but good results with that type of bullet. Almost always a large exit would on deer shot in the chest cavity.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yes I will be loading them myself. I should have been more specific. I have used the Hornady SST for many years in several different calibers and I have had nothing but good results with that type of bullet. Almost always a large exit would on deer shot in the chest cavity.
Not the case with 6.8 120s there is no lock below the crimp groove and they often fragment on the far side ribs 8 out of 10 we found empty jacket just under far side hide . That said it is my wife's favorite bullet and her 16" with 120 SST is the most accurate gun in the safe . She says who needs a exit wound or blood trail when they drop in sight .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've taken quite a few deer with the SST in 270WIN. I've had both pass through shots and non-padd through. None of the deer I've shot have move more than a few feet however, so I've never questioned the bullets effectiveness. I will say I've seen a good bit of fragmentation in the meat, dpending on shot placement. Not enough to deter me from using is, but something to consider when placing your shot. Good luck! I plan to use the 120gr SST in my 6.8 loads, primarily focused on hog hunting.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I use the 90gr gold dot and it is lethal. I load it hot and it shoots flat out to 300 yards. Has a mpbr of 4" at that distance leaves the barrel at 3000 fps. Check the bullet threads on results. I do plan on loading some cbb 105 mkz as well to see how my rifle and I like them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use the 90gr gold dot and it is lethal. I load it hot and it shoots flat out to 300 yards. Has a mpbr of 4" at that distance leaves the barrel at 3000 fps. Check the bullet threads on results. I do plan on loading some cbb 105 mkz as well to see how my rifle and I like them.
Thanks for the info. I was looking at some Speer 90 gr TNT for varmint season

·
Registered
652 Posts
For feral hogs my preference is 110 grain Accubonds but have tried to standardize on a half dozen loads to inventory but always testing others and have a wide selection of smaller amounts of specialty rounds. There is nothing I have shot with an Accubond that didn't lay down and die. Have a friend with three one shot elk kills using 6.8 Accubonds but I don't hunt them so have to pass second hand information but reliable and seen pictures of wound channel and organs turned to Jello by the hydrostatic shock with nasty exit wounds.

If have a pointing die to true & trim tips of Speer 90 grain TNTs they are as accurate as any match bullet and devistating on varmints past 400 yards. Have over two dozen cold bore first shot kills on ground hogs and coyote in the 400 to 450 yard range from 18" ARP 5R barrel or 18" Noveske 5R. Have a 20" varmint taper White Oak Armament build shoots them like lasers and not worried to use past 500 yards but have found that's the range where generally need a spotter on varmints to adjust dope and hit with second round if combination of laser rangefinder, annenometer, Strelock Pro and shooter don't come together for the perfectly placed shot. This rifle shoots 1" at 250 yards with trued and trimmed TNTs if weight matched and all tricks used to make them shoot from this rifle including proper distance from ogive to rifling.

On human size targets would not hesitate to engage out to 800 yards or more if needed with any of above 100 grains or heavier. If really work with powders, projectiles and match them to a specific rifle (most of my loads are standardized to work with wide variety of rifles, not just one) and not afraid to step past chart load data, use modified magazines for longer COAL then my 20"-24" single point cut rifled match barrels will ring the 1,000 yard gong. I keep ten different loads in stock all the time but #1 - #5 are what I keep in bulk which is 2,000 to 10,000 per load, #6 - #10 keep a few hundred of each plus whatever new loads on bench experimenting with which is mostly home swaged, powder coated cast, etc.

Favorite bullets I keep stocked in volume:
1. 90 grain Gold Dots (general purpose hunting, defence, range, action shooting)
2. 90 grain TNTs (varmints, paper punching, defensive use)
3. 110 grain Accubonds (hunting thick skinned, medium & medium/large game.
5. 115 grain Gold Dots (great all purpose price point bullets)
5. 85 grain Barnes TSX (room clearing, general defense, limited varmint use)
6. 120 grain Cavity Back MKZ (when it absolutely has to get there with authority)
7. 100 grain Cutting Edge Raptor (ability to load with tips for extended range, without for quicker fragmenting or backwards to use as deep penetrating copper solid)
8. 112 grain LeHigh Controlled Chaos (defense & hunting bottom of list due to cost)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts