6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this hasn't been thoroughly discussed before.

Especially in light of the many of us that are using the pulled bullets from the Speer 90 gr. Gold Dot ammo, my question is this...

Which of the current Bullet Pullers are considered the "best"? E.G. speed, mess, bullet damage, etc.

There are the tried and true Hammer Pullers....but what about the others:

http://grip-n-pull.com/

Or others....etc.

I'd appreciate any feedback from everyone's experience.

Thx.

·
Registered
295 Posts
RCBS (or other make) collet-type puller is fastest for me. You can over-tighten the collet to the point where the jaws will put a crease in the bullet jacket so I try to put apply just enough tension to hold the bullet so it can be pulled from the case. I keep a hammer-type puller close by for those ocassional over-seating mishaps.

oh, and if you use the hammer-type, stick a foam earplug in the bottom of the tube to cushion the bullets impact against the hard plastic.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
if you use the hammer-type, stick a foam earplug in the bottom of the tube to cushion the bullets impact against the hard plastic.
Good tip, I've had the bullet deformed when it comes free of the case without the foam. I use a Hornady collet puller.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think there has been some confusion. Those of us using pulled gold dots are not pulling the bullets. Federal has demilled the ammo and those bullets become available through a few select sites to be purchased.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bullet puller

I personally always hated the hammer puller,it does work. I second the collet type, have the Hornday it has settable cam lock. Haven't had it long but like it so far.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think there has been some confusion. Those of us using pulled gold dots are not pulling the bullets. Federal has demilled the ammo and those bullets become available through a few select sites to be purchased.
Forgive my ignorance. But please elaborate on your response. I'm not certain I understand. Particularly your last sentence.

Thx.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Forgive my ignorance. But please elaborate on your response. I'm not certain I understand. Particularly your last sentence.

Thx.
My guess is that he wanted you to understand that we do not pull 90g GD bullets to reuse but buy them in bulk from a supplier that gets them direct from Federal from ammo that was assembled but did not get a full charge of powder and failed at quality control so it was disassembled and sold as parts. He wants to make sure that you are not going out and buying perfectly good ammo to pullthe bullets from.
That is my guess but if you want to do that so be it!:a08::a04:
I ordered both the rifle and pistol bullet pullers from grip-n-pull as I have the Hornady cam lock collet puller and still get damaged bullets from crimped ammo so a change is in order.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Your original post sounds like you are wanting to buy the federal ammo and pull the bullets to reload. Federal from time to time demills a bunch of ammo and the pulled bullets can be bought from Americanreloading. Nereloading. Or rmrbullets. They run about $75/500. When you hear of people reloading the pulled gold dots that is what we are using.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quite correct. I didn't know that.

My guess is that he wanted you to understand that we do not pull 90g GD bullets to reuse but buy them in bulk from a supplier that gets them direct from Federal from ammo that was assembled but did not get a full charge of powder and failed at quality control so it was disassembled and sold as parts. He wants to make sure that you are not going out and buying perfectly good ammo to pullthe bullets from.
That is my guess but if you want to do that so be it!:a08::a04:
I ordered both the rifle and pistol bullet pullers from grip-n-pull as I have the Hornady cam lock collet puller and still get damaged bullets from crimped ammo so a change is in order.
Right again. Thanks for everyone clearing this up for me. As I said I've been out-of-pocket for awhile.

But no. I really don't want to buy ammo and then pull bullets. Hammer type pullers are too slow and messy and collets work ok if the bullets have minimal case tension, but if they're really seated, I've damaged too many bullets in the past.

So I guess I'm out of luck getting the Gold Dots until IF and /or WHEN Federal issues them again.

Unless of course some Generous Forum Member who has a Big Stash would like to sell me some.....I pay handsomely !!! :a21:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another thumbs up for Grip-n-Pull

Couldn't be easier.
The price is more than worth it to me. But I can see that if you only occasionally pull a bullit, you may balk.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Simple question due to not having any bullets or ammo to examine but I'd like to know before I'm able locate some.

If I'm forced to pull bullets from the loaded ammo, are the bullets "sealed" in the case, and does the bullet have a fairly tight Crimp, if any? I'd probably be using a hammer type inertia puller.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
With an inertia puller I've noted that the more crimp or sealer = more tap-tap. The lighter the projectile = more tap-tap.

I've had my inertia puller for 20yrs. A few yrs ago I got a collet puller from RCBS that I can set-up in an extra single stage press. If I have a large amount to pull, I use this. Much faster.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The proper way to pull or tap bullets out of cases without damage is to use a seating die to force the bullet deeper into the case to break the seal between the bullet jacket and the case neck. It only requires moving the bullet 2-3 thousands of an inch deeper.

As stated above, also place a ear plug in the bottom of the hammer type puller to avoid damaging the bullet tip.

When buying pulled bullets from vendors, keep in mind that not all ammunition demil firms take care to avoid damaging the bullet. Buy with caution!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.