6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Building my first 6.8 ARP rifle (featureless"/CA compliant AR-15).

Update (see last post for upper parts picture)

FINALLY PARTS LIST

6.8SPC ARP upper build :

Spartan left-side charging non-reciprocating upper: $224,
Carbon fiber hand guard (I have two others like it and it's great): $62
18" midweight ARP Triad barrel, NiB coated bolt and carrier: $402.50
midlength gas tube, steel YHM clamp on gas block, accu-wedge: 62.50
Subtotal: ~$750

Anderson lower+DROS: ~68
Spikes Tactical- less FCG at $45.
Strike Industries extended takedown pins: $12.50
3lb ultra match trigger: $100
Ambi safety: $20
A2 stock and buffer system: $60
Riflegrips.com featureless grip: $19
KNS antiwalking pins: $35

Subtotal: ~$360

Total for 6.8SPC Build: $1110
(+- due to some shipping for other parts separate from the build)

I may buy some BUIS for this, but probably not until September.

(Note: Also milling the paperweight this weekend, but that's how a separate build, attachments are outdated)

Thoughts and feedback appreciated!

Attachments

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
did you use a router or a drill press on the lower? i've been wanting to do what you did

·
Registered
393 Posts
You can have a CA compliant AR with a standard pistol grip if you use a bullet button. Did you just not want a bullet button?

80's are a blast to build. Never tried the router method. Be interested to know how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can have a CA compliant AR with a standard pistol grip if you use a bullet button. Did you just not want a bullet button?

80's are a blast to build. Never tried the router method. Be interested to know how it turns out for you.
Correct. I'm not a fan. Additionally, the government here seems to see the Constitution, and federal Supreme Court rulings either as a guideline... Or a joke. They are working on pushing through an ex post facto ban on all bullet buttoned firearms. And they are simultaneously trying to ban all semiautomatic rifles in a separate bill. I'm not going to play their games much more, but I'm in school here for 4-5 more years depending on internship.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Easy jig...

It works really well if you take your time. Make sure your end mill is as tight in the router as you can reasonably get it and take small bites. You'll be surprised.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Adios my guns

Correct. I'm not a fan. Additionally, the government here seems to see the Constitution, and federal Supreme Court rulings either as a guideline... Or a joke. They are working on pushing through an ex post facto ban on all bullet buttoned firearms. And they are simultaneously trying to ban all semiautomatic rifles in a separate bill. I'm not going to play their games much more, but I'm in school here for 4-5 more years depending on internship.
. There won't be s gun left in California in 4 or 5yrs if Newsome gets his gun bill passed!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
. There won't be s gun left in California in 4 or 5yrs if Newsome gets his gun bill passed!!
Not after today :'( such a tragedy. If only someone (or multiple people) was (were) carrying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I suspect that 80% lowers, in CA, after milling, will be required to have a serial number stamped by the DOJ before very much longer. And there won't be a Grandfather clause. It's already been in consideration and the "progressive" newsees have already been reporting the current ability to have an unregistered firearm made from one. You can build it thinking things won't change but, even so, you'll still need a bullet button to be able to shoot it in public and even that will go away as an exception soon and you'll have to register it as an "assault rifle" anyway...built from an 80% or not. At least if you want to shoot it in public. If it's just meant to sit in the safe you should be fine.:a43:

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
For the record (and I hate Newsom with a passion), his Propositions are not Bills and they're all about ammo, high cap magazines and reporting stolen firearms in a ridiculously short period of time or you're a felon. They are not about guns at all specifically. It's the CA Legislature that is pushing the gun control laws like AR registration and banning the bullet button.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That's an interesting selection of parts with many brands/sources I've never heard of.

My only real recommendation based on what's left to acquire is that I'd spend a few extra $ and get at least one PRI magazine. I found that many issues I had been having with my rifle went away once I switched over to PRI. It stinks that they are so expensive, but they are nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's an interesting selection of parts with many brands/sources I've never heard of.

My only real recommendation based on what's left to acquire is that I'd spend a few extra $ and get at least one PRI magazine. I found that many issues I had been having with my rifle went away once I switched over to PRI. It stinks that they are so expensive, but they are nice.
Thanks! Duly noted. no point in having a great rifle Auth unreliable magazines...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks! Duly noted. no point in having a great rifle Auth unreliable magazines...
I should have stated that I have no experience with the magazines on your list, so they may be fine and it seems like many people here are fine with them. But I can certainly vouch for the PRI mags. They are excellent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should have stated that I have no experience with the magazines on your list, so they may be fine and it seems like many people here are fine with them. But I can certainly vouch for the PRI mags. They are excellent.
I just saw them on sale. Certainly worth trying one, and one of the ones you suggested.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
**update**

I purchased the 18" midweight ARP TRIAD target crowned 6.8 barrel, the NiB coated ARP bolt and carrier, a YHM steel clamp gas block and a stainless steel had tube, a few accuwedges--because my Spartan upper doesn't fit perfectly to either of my lower receivers ): -- and a lot of ammunition to feed my other kids... I don't have any 6.8 though, and I need to buy some. I also want to get some nonlead so I can take this hog hunting after I get my HT and license. I think I'll also finish my 80% in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: recieved my barrel/bolt/carrier!

I'll be putting it all together this weekend :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Building my first 6.8 ARP rifle ("featureless"/CA compliant AR-15).

So last night I finally got this out together! I can't wait to shoot it! I think I'll prioritize setting up for and milling my 80% paperweight with the rest of my weekend though.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Y'all be sure to register it now...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Featureless my friend, no registration necessary.

You better take a look at the law Brown signed this week - The way I understand it (and I could be mistaken) if it has a removable magazine and is semi-automatic it is now classified as an Assault Weapon. This included Ruger Mini-14, etc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts