6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've got the Savage barrels on order, let's talk about build lists!

I shot another deer yesterday with my Tikka 6.8 which continues to be amazing in every way so this damn Savage 6.8 better be awesome. (Well, I'm sure at least the barrel will be).

Here's my plan:

Bighorn TL3
Bighorn 12 point barrel nut
Proof Research carbon fiber stock, bedded for a TL3
Hawkins Precision M5 bottom metal
MDT 224V/6.8 AICS polymer mag
Geissele Super 700 two stage trigger

FWIW, I've never bought any of this high end stuff before, but I figure I'll put my best foot forward on this one. We'll see how it compares!

What's everyone else planning?

-Stooxie

·
Registered
766 Posts
Starting with a 110 Prairie Hunter in .224 Valkyrie with the Accufit Stock and Accu-trigger. I plan on keeping the stock and trigger and replacing the barrel nut with PVA trued nut and an E. Arthur Brown trued recoil lug. I'm considering an extended "tactical bolt handle", but have not decided that yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When we first started talking about these barrels a few weeks ago, and I asked about using the 224 Valkyrie Prairie Hunter for a donor rifle, there were some available online and they were listed on Savage’s website. I’ve looked the last few days and I can’t find them anymore on GB and they are gone from Savage’s website. Has anybody else noticed this?

·
Registered
766 Posts
When I first saw the Prairie Hunter on gun broker, I couldn’t find it on Savage’s website. I got worried about it having been discontinued already, so after a few days debating my options, I bought one of the 6 or 7 available at the time. I saw that the available stock was diminishing pretty quickly though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I first saw the Prairie Hunter on gun broker, I couldn’t find it on Savage’s website. I got worried about it having been discontinued already, so after a few days debating my options, I bought one of the 6 or 7 available at the time. I saw that the available stock was diminishing pretty quickly though.
Good for you. I am keeping my eye out at gunshows and on GB for a model 10 in 223 and get a PTG bolt head. I think Woodstock mentioned using a Remington 783 and you can find them for pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I’ve built ARs but not a bolt action, so this is new to me. My plan so far has been to start with the Prarie Hunter 110 224v so I can reuse the bolt/mags. Kind of crazy there isn’t a factory bolt action in 6.8 today. I’m looking forward to this project with my favorite cartridge.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
8.75 lbs for the 22” V PH 110. While our barrel will be shorter/lighter, that is definitely starting off at a disadvantage from a weight perspective. Having second thoughts on the S PH 110. Getting a $70 bolt head for a lighter platform seems more reasonable if you can make the mags work.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
8.75 lbs for the 22” V PH 110. While our barrel will be shorter/lighter, that is definitely starting off at a disadvantage from a weight perspective. Having second thoughts on the S PH 110. Getting a $70 bolt head for a lighter platform seems more reasonable if you can make the mags work.
Seems to me that most of that weight would have to be in the barrel. Otherwise you have a plastic stock and the action. The action is going to be pretty much the same weight as any other 10/110 action and the stock couldn't weigh that much.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Like Woodstock said, the weight is in the barrel. It's basically a straight taper 22" barrel that ends up at .75" immediately behind the threaded muzzle. It is very barrel/forward heavy. With H's 18" sporter taper barrel it should balance out quite well.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I'm showing up to the party late. I'd love to have an ARP barreled bolt action to go along with the ar15s. I'm sure if i searched it's there, but what are my options for a donor rifle?
thanks in advance peeps

i was really bored at work. i think i've found my info
thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
Seems to me that most of that weight would have to be in the barrel. Otherwise you have a plastic stock and the action. The action is going to be pretty much the same weight as any other 10/110 action and the stock couldn't weigh that much.
Before I posted that, I wanted to compare what another 22" rifle weighed. The Ruger American Rifle in .308 with a 22" barrel weighs 6.1 lbs (compared to 8.75lbs apparently for the Savage PH 110) . I don't know the contour/taper difference between a PH and a RAR, but 2.65lbs seems to be a big difference. I may not be comparing apples to apples, so forgive me on that. I also could not find the specs on Savage's product listing on their website, doesn't appear to be listed. I did find the specs here and I'm making an assumption that those are correct.

I'm considering going breastroker on this rifle build (youth mountain hike). So weight will be an important thing for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looking for a donor

The first thing I need is a Savage left hand action donor suitable for 6.8 SPC. I may end up with an Axis, but I don't care for weak synthetic stocks, or their documented firing pin spring problems. Left hand rifles of any make or caliber are difficult to find, other than the common rounds.

Our governor and newly blue majority legislature in Virginia, supported by bloomberg, is about to turn us into New York or California. A total ban on "assault rifles".

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep, I just saw that Savage on sale on Cabelas website. May have to drive over there this weekend and take a look. Lucky for me, I have a left hand Savage to use for a build, not just have to find an appropriate bolt head for it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Yep, I just saw that Savage on sale on Cabelas website. May have to drive over there this weekend and take a look. Lucky for me, I have a left hand Savage to use for a build, not just have to find an appropriate bolt head for it.

Any gunsmith or machine shop can open up a 223 bolt

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my MDT 224V polymer mag. Looks great, seems like a 223 one that they dremel out a bit (or CNC, I dunno, looks pretty clean). MDT only has 10 round mags and not 5 round ones. I'm not a reloader, but if the OAL for 223 and 6.8 is the same at 2.26", should I theoretically be able to take a Magpul 5 round polymer mag and shave it down in the same way so the 6.8 cases pop up the right amount?

Might just do the $30 experiment unless someone here suspects it wouldn't work.

(And yes, I am talking about Magpul AICS mags, not the magpul 6.8 AR mags)

Thanks,
-Stooxie

·
Registered
127 Posts
So I have a 223 model 10 ready for 1 6.8. Picking up a 11 in 308 today to use for another.

My intentions are to make 1 intentionally heavy yet compact for my daughter. To achieve this I will likely put it in a Boyd's at1 stock. They are heavy yet really adjustable, I have 1 on a 270 axis that was designed as a loaner gun. It actually turned out to be a favorite of mine and has yet to be loaned out.

The other I will try keeping light on a budget for me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Will this work (other than the bolt face of course)....
Savage Model 10 –Matte – Right Hand – Short Action – Small Shank – .308 Bolt Face – Tactical Bolt Handle – Factory 20 MOA Rail- 10 Round Magpul AICS Mag- Top Bolt Release- AccuTrigger

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will this work (other than the bolt face of course)....
Savage Model 10 –Matte – Right Hand – Short Action – Small Shank – .308 Bolt Face – Tactical Bolt Handle – Factory 20 MOA Rail- 10 Round Magpul AICS Mag- Top Bolt Release- AccuTrigger
You'll need a 6.8 SPC specific AICS mag. The 308 lips won't hold. MDT makes a 6.8 AICS polymer mag, very nice.

-Stooxie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts