6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today and shot my 20" mid gas 6.8. When I got home and tore down the rifle for cleaning I found a lug missing from the bolt. If you put the extractor at 12:00 the 1:00 lug is gone. Gun never malfunctioned. Loads were proven handloads that have never shown pressure signs. After inspecting the cases I believe I found at what point the bolt failed. No pressure signs on the brass but at one point they have a divot in the rim. Any idea what may have caused this? Anything I need to look for? Barrel extension appears fine and I never found the missing piece. The rifle has around 600 rounds through it. I can find no identifying marks on the bolt so have no idea what brand it is. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Bobby

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
What brand bolt?

Was it a matching Sota bolt and barrel,

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure of the bolt brand but do know that it is a SOTA barrel. This was built by a friend on a SWAT Firearms billet receiver set.
Bobby

·
Administrator
22,080 Posts
I wonder whether the upper receiver isn't true... resulting in some odd angle load being put on that lug? Definitely not a common event for a 6.8 bolt.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I wonder whether the upper receiver isn't true... resulting in some odd angle load being put on that lug? Definitely not a common event for a 6.8 bolt.
Yep.
Receiver not square and bad heat treatment.
I would think hot loads could do it.
Somebody broke a LWRC bolt a while back as I recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. Is there a way to check the receiver for being square without buying a facing/squaring tool?
Bobby

1 - 7 of 7 Posts