6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Art.
Still waiting on some of your fine brass. Any closer to having some? Also is there any chance of getting a nickeled case? Just curious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't seem like something you wold want to do from a precision stand point.

Your probably right about the precision part. But for combat loads they should be fine. Seems like all my LEO duty stuff for the past 20 years or so has been nickel cased. From my hand gun ammo to the Federal Tactical stuff.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It certainly has become popular no doubt. the one area I find it interesting is in primes. One it makes finding certain loads easier because of the color difference. Also their are indications from testing that the plated ones are harder there by preventing slam fires and resisting flattening better. Other than that it is just a pretty coating on brass and adds another variable to loading IMO. I do like the look though. Some of the wickedest looking rounds I've seen were NP cases loaded with moly coated ballistic tipped bullets ie. vmax, accubond. The best was a 50 cal load with a moly Amax It looked like it could destroy anything. It may well haven been able to too.

Tim

·
Registered
307 Posts
I find even with handgun pressures I get fewer loadings out of nickle plated brass cases than the plain brass ones. I believe the nickle plating makes the brass more brittle. It came into fashion in LE circles from the days when revolver rounds (.38 Spl. & .357 Mag) rode in loops on leather gun belts or leather dump pouches and offered more resistance to turning green from verdigris. It seems that manufacturers carried it over into the auto pistol cartridges marketed for LE Depts. I think todays manufacturers nickle plate the cases in their higher priced lines to help justify the higher cost. The nickle is slicker than plain brass and the added lubricity is touted as aiding reliable feeding and extraction. I find it an ingenious solution to a non existent problem in rifle rounds.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I won't use them in rifles. Handguns sure if I'm not reloading. I don't like the idea of two different metals with different hardnesses and different stretch rates being plated together. I sure it may not be a big deal and the process may prevent it from happening. But when when a softer metal stretches quicker then the plating with the pressures in a rifle chamber it would seem like something would give if even on a microscopic level. I would think it would cause cracking and or flaking. Again I have nothing to back this up but cheap plating does flake I know that becasue I've seen it. The bullet scratching and changing the tension on the bullet is enough reason for me. not to mention that nickel plating is harder then the reloading dies so you get those possibly being worn down as well. Again no proof. Now if it can do it to reloading die what about the inside of a barrel chamber.

Tim

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My old police department has some older Colts that have to have over 10,000 rounds of Federal nickel plated stuff run through them. In recent years they've gone to Rock Rivers...but that's another story.

Not claiming a nickel plated case is the end all of cases...just familiar with them for me, and another option in keeping rounds around for a long time. More options in guns and ammo...more chances of luring more people onto the band wagon.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have been MIA for a while. 6.8 is on the presses first ones will be ready next week. Alot of interest with the 6.8 at the Shot Show and talking to a lot of LE and others we are top dog without question.. I would like to thank everyone for your support and we will respond with new 6.8 products this year to make shooting less costly.

Art - SSA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts