6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone besides brushhawg having any luck finding any decent brass?
Brass is my current weak link. Or, am I just going to have to buy a bunch of the cheap s&b 110gr ammo to shoot for the brass?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've been reforming S&B brass to use in my Valkyrie. It is a lot of work and excessive neck tension is causing issues with several of the softer bullets. If you have any tips, pass them on.

(33) Reforming 6.8mm brass to Alternative Calibers | 6.8 SPC Forums (68forums.com)

Starline Valkyrie brass has done the best for me but I haven't seen it available for months.
I am not there yet. When I do get there I plan on turning necks and I use Lee Collet Crimp Dies and these:

I have the Consistent Crimp for my Lee Cast Turret (tall) and the adaptor for my Rock Chucker Supreme.

·
Registered
737 Posts
only brass I could find available on ammoseek.com
Wow, over halfway to cost of loaded ammo. Remember buying primed pulls fifteen cents each in negotiated power purchase from major pull company. Committed to three 5,000 case lots but they preferred to ship 5,000 at a time as able so not empty inventory for full retail customers. Ended up pulling trigger five times with forth and fifth time nineteen cents per case. Still have a box of 250 count sealed bags still need to stuff.

That was when they had QC fails coming in droves filling the XM68GD Saudi orders and submissions to USSOCOM, Air Force, Dept of Defense, federal law enforcement agencies when General Maddis had the juice and desire to make it our next standard round. Was thought 6.8 pulls were going to be endless supply and power buying from a high volume client was relationship worth keeping happy till word spread and 6.8 got traction for about two months.
I've been reforming S&B brass to use in my Valkyrie. It is a lot of work and excessive neck tension is causing issues with several of the softer bullets. If you have any tips, pass them on.
(33) Reforming 6.8mm brass to Alternative Calibers | 6.8 SPC Forums (68forums.com)
Starline Valkyrie brass has done the best for me but I haven't seen it available for months.
Ever tried hydroforming? Google it and most popular hydroform equipment vendor will help you if its a caliber they have done before. Otherwise you have to hold their hand a bit getting specification want but its hard to beat hydroformed case manipulation.

Can do a two step case form followed by fire forming to convert 30-06 brass to 280 AI but cases are still a fuzz short but "useable". One step in hydroform dies and 30-06 becomes perfect 280 AI with enough length to trim to your chamber. Considering I get 30-06 brass free to cost of 280 AI it was one of several stunning hydroform die investments.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds as bad as I thought it was out there for us. Sad news all the way around.
Thanks for the link to Maverick Reloading there. How much Remington or PPU do you usually get in a bag? I have ZERO large rifle primers.

I can get the S&B 110gr stuff now for $18.99 and I guess that would give me something to blast at the range AND have some quality brass to reload, unless CBC is screwing it up now too.

Oh well, the hunt continues. You know, I never even thought about AmmoSeek for reloading/ brass. Usually just buy my 22wmr ammo on there. I need to get a little more creative. Or just get out more.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Sounds as bad as I thought it was out there for us. Sad news all the way around.
Thanks for the link to Maverick Reloading there. How much Remington or PPU do you usually get in a bag? I have ZERO large rifle primers.

I can get the S&B 110gr stuff now for $18.99 and I guess that would give me something to blast at the range AND have some quality brass to reload, unless CBC is screwing it up now too.

Oh well, the hunt continues. You know, I never even thought about AmmoSeek for reloading/ brass. Usually just buy my 22wmr ammo on there. I need to get a little more creative. Or just get out more.
Not only is that the fun way to get brass but you will have it fire formed to your chamber . Of course if you are like me and use the same load in several guns you will need to adjust shoulder bump for the tighter chamber . After changing bolts around all 4 of mine do well with . 003 .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone besides brushhawg having any luck finding any decent brass?
Brass is my current weak link. Or, am I just going to have to buy a bunch of the cheap s&b 110gr ammo to shoot for the brass?
I order/bo directly from Starline. If they allow me bo online, I just wait. I’ve bought enough suppressor that waiting doesn’t bother me anymore. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you guys are looking for 224 Val brass, I have 12,000 here in the shop that are new Starline. As far as for the 6.8, Starline hasn’t run any in over 6 months but they told me they are hoping to get some run in the near future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts