6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been collecting data on brass sales on this forum for almost as long as I've been a member here. It started when I realized how valuable my brass was and how I should be saving it, selling it, and putting it back into factory ammo. I started logging brass sales as they came up on the forum to make sure I was asking a fair price for my brass, and even though I've been reloading for some time now, I've continued to track all the sales that are publicly listed on the forum. I've popped into a number of threads when people ask what there brass is worth with the running average I've had at the time. Just recently I took the time to switch my data over to a histogram so it's easier to look at and I'm putting it up here for members to take a look at. I know, its nerdy, but I feel like it will help out others as they decide how to sell their brass.

ALL brass sales are not shown in the graph as I've excluded multiple fired brass, prepped brass, brass that was bundled or when the seller didn't specify manufacturer. There have been many more sales in the EE, Federal brass for instance, but a lot of those were processed and resold for profit, so they don't fit the purpose of this data series.

If there is interest, I'll update this from time to time, but as can be seen, things have been holding pretty steady over the last four years even when LWRC flooded the market with FC brass, and conversely, even after Sandy hook when the market was tight and inflated.

Running averages as of OP...

Hornady- $0.40
SSA- $0.39
Sellier & Bellot- $0.37
Federal- $0.36
Remington- $0.32

(I wasn't sure where to put this. It seemed like the EE was most related, but there isn't really a spot to put it... general discussion maybe? Not sure, but I'm open to comments and open to having it moved)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I suspect over the next year these prices will come down with the availability of new manufacturers. That, and the price drop we'll hopefully see on S&B now that people are learning how good it is. Hopefully we'll see PRVI, maybe Academy with their house brand, Monarch, and some others, also release their 6.8 wares which will further drive down current prices.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect over the next year these prices will come down with the availability of new manufacturers. That, and the price drop we'll hopefully see on S&B now that people are learning how good it is. Hopefully we'll see PRVI, maybe Academy with their house brand, Monarch, and some others, also release their 6.8 wares which will further drive down current prices.
Hopefully, however I would have put money on prices plummeting when LWRC started flooding the market and it didn't happen. Even when LWRC was actively selling, the forum prices for FC were still holding steady with the other brands, which didn't dip at all.
S&B will be interesting, with the FMJ selling for $11.99/20 this season, sellers should be able to sell for cheap. But by all accounts it's great brass, every bit as good as Hornady, considering some of its one in the same, which will mean that even if there's tons of it, reloaders will pay a premium for it. I'm going with it holding steady as well.
But in the end, there's no telling, which makes it all kind of fascinating from my perspective... :a41: and what keeps me plugging away at the data despite me not selling any longer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hopefully, however I would have put money on prices plummeting when LWRC started flooding the market and it didn't happen. Even when LWRC was actively selling, the forum prices for FC were still holding steady with the other brands, which didn't dip at all.
S&B will be interesting, with the FMJ selling for $11.99/20 this season, sellers should be able to sell for cheap. But by all accounts it's great brass, every bit as good as Hornady, considering some of its one in the same, which will mean that even if there's tons of it, reloaders will pay a premium for it. I'm going with it holding steady as well.
But in the end, there's no telling, which makes it all kind of fascinating from my perspective... :a41: and what keeps me plugging away at the data despite me not selling any longer.
Well, not everyone wants to ream or swage crimps :a06: That and LWRC's availability was a bit spotty.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I heart nerds:a39:

kidding aside, thanks for the data it's a great tool!

·
Registered
528 Posts
That chart must have taken some work. Thanks for posting! It just makes me wonder how many of those little dots were me buying brass. I am glad to be able to contribute to your research over the years.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks Nswish. I've read many of your posts relating to average brass values. They've kept me conscious of saving my money that lands on the ground. Now, thanks to the handy dandy Brass Wrangler I never miss any.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
The recent panic for reloading supplies seems to be over. A quick check of gunbot shows multiple sources for Hornady 6.8 unprimed brass, starting at $32/box of 50. Why buy "once fired" brass and mess with the crimped primer pockets, when for a little more moola you can readily get new brass? Given the long life of brass cases (with moderate loads), they are easily the least expensive component in my reloading account. Jacketed bullets take the cake for most expensive. - CW

·
Registered
797 Posts
got any stats on polymer brass?

(seen any of the long rumored pcp ammo yet?)

·
Registered
8,890 Posts
got any stats on polymer brass?

(seen any of the long rumored pcp ammo yet?)
If you go to pcpammo.com they show that they have .308 Match at $40 a box. Not cheap at all. I have seen polymer cased ammo in 5.56 and .38 Special but nothing recently.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The recent panic for reloading supplies seems to be over. A quick check of gunbot shows multiple sources for Hornady 6.8 unprimed brass, starting at $32/box of 50. Why buy "once fired" brass and mess with the crimped primer pockets, when for a little more moola you can readily get new brass? Given the long life of brass cases (with moderate loads), they are easily the least expensive component in my reloading account. Jacketed bullets take the cake for most expensive. - CW
That price equals $.64 each. Once fired is going for almost half that price. Which is a powerful incentive for many to seek out once fired.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
If you go to pcpammo.com they show that they have .308 Match at $40 a box. Not cheap at all. I have seen polymer cased ammo in 5.56 and .38 Special but nothing recently.
wondering what the big draw to pcp ammo is? is it really that much lighter than brass cased ammo? I see they don't recommend reloading it so at $40/20 that is gonna be pretty pricey ammo

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Six Month Update

Here is a six month update to the OP for those who are interested.

Very little change to the running averages, but here they are to present...

Hornady- $0.40
SSA- $0.39
Sellier & Bellot- $0.36
Federal- $0.35
Remington- $0.32

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are December 2016 numbers and an updated chart. I added trend lines just to see what things were doing.

Averages from January 2011 to December 2016

SSA- $0.39
Hornady- $0.39
Remington- $0.33
Sellier & Bellot- $0.37
Federal- $0.35

Sales that met the comparison criteria have been down significantly over the last two years.

2011- 40 sales
2012- 44 sales
2013- 73 sales
2014- 72 sales
2015- 20 sales
2016- 10 sales

1 - 17 of 17 Posts