6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
What head stamps are you getting?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Just place my own order today. I'm sure that it's mixed headstamps, and likely mixed headstamps as well. I'll update this post once my order is received. It's the first 6.8 SPC brass that I've found, though I only started 6.8 SPC loading a bit over month ago.

· Registered
20 Posts
What head stamps are you getting?
Just received my order today. Exactly what I'd hoped for...vast majority are small rifle. Wide variety of headstamps. I found Hornady, Silver State Armory, Barrett, Federal, even a PPU. All of these are small primer. So I guess that R-P is the only brass that's large rifle...which is rather hard to find these days.
The brass is washed...not polished. Every case has significant water spotting... but at least it's ready for resizing and decapping, followed by wet tumbling to remove the water spots. I just like clean, shiny ammo to start. They really should've dried these...but I'm in a forgiving mood since it's the only brass I've found aside from factory ammo.
Wood Circle Pattern Shelf Symmetry
Wood Circle Pattern Shelf Symmetry
Packing materials Font Metal Plastic Plastic wrap

· Registered
818 Posts
6.8 Headstamps | 6.8 SPC Forums (68forums.com)

Refer to this for some detailed info on each manufacturer of brass and specific headstamps.

Brass isn't always the same even by the same manufacturer and "usually" the headstamp reflects the changes. This is particularly important when working close to and certainly above book max loads.

Interesting to see some of the old Barrett brass in there.

Reactions: MarkR6754

· Super Moderator
1,839 Posts
Right! Hornady made vs Hornady (made by S&B) and the different variations of SSA come to mind.

Reactions: leatherneck

· Registered
818 Posts
I’d say most important if a max load is worked up with brass of higher case capacity and then unknowingly loaded into one with less, because it also says Hornady, or SSA or any of the other variations.

Reactions: greentick

· Registered
20 Posts
If you look closer, the PPU is also LRP.
Yep...and I really had to look closely as I only found the one case in the first bag. I completed the annealing, sizing, and trimming of the 200 cases I bought. Found one split neck, and one Hornady case where I decapitated the primer. I've never been able to rescue a case when that's happened.

Everything processed really well, but I ended up with a lot more lrp than initially believed. Not that it matters. I picked up 500 pricey Rem LRPs at local Cabela's.

Assorted manufacturers, but I didn't notice anything different than this fist bad - R-P, Hornady, SSA, S&B, Barrett, FC, and PPU. I decided to wait to sort these after I pass them through the tumbler to remove the prior water spots and the Hornady One Shot lube.

· Registered
20 Posts
Right! Hornady made vs Hornady (made by S&B) and the different variations of SSA come to mind.
I'm too new to 6.8 SPC to know what this means....but I noticed a pretty wide variation in the appearance of the SSA cases...both in the quality of the headstamp as well as the OAL of the cases prior to trimming. I also noticed that in the FC cases...several of them were quite short. They still have a generous neck, so I'll still load them up for indoor, short range, plinking...which is all I do at the present.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
We have been working with the VP of Starline to get them to run some for a long time and we were able to finally it done. Currently they running 308 and 6.8 is up next so not only is it in the cue but it’s next to run on that line. We have 140,000 to be delivered out of about a 4-500,000 run so we will have it available for sale along with loaded ammo. I know Midway, Grafs and Mid-South will also be getting some as well as a few others. Starline should have enough to put some on their shelves as well and fill current back orders. It’s been a very long time coming but they are currently 300 million brass behind on backorders alone so we are grateful they are willing to help the 6.8 community out. There is a light on the horizon and should be a couple weeks and it will be available again.
Have you had any updates on this? I’ve been keeping open tabs on my phone of your website and the others you listed just to make sure I don’t miss it!

· Registered
23 Posts
As unreliable as 6.8 brass availability is, this seems like a good thread to suggest a great product we've been using around my family. This TacStar brass catcher is an amazing combination of quality, durability and affordability. 100% brass recovery, it requires less than 15 seconds to remove, empty and reinstall. You'll no longer be one of "those people" who fling hot brass all over the next two stations to your right at the range.

Air gun Machine gun Luggage and bags Trigger Shotgun

· Registered
20 Posts
Just received notification from Starline that my new brass order will be delivered on Wednesday, Pearl Harbor Day. While I'd like to celebrate...I'm a bit saddened. My last brass backorder took 3 months to ship. This one may as well not have been identified as backordered. So what's the problem? Now I'll have to put it under the tree and count it as a Christmas present. Dang the improved efficiency of Starline.

· Registered
541 Posts
As unreliable as 6.8 brass availability is, this seems like a good thread to suggest a great product we've been using around my family. This TacStar brass catcher is an amazing combination of quality, durability and affordability. 100% brass recovery, it requires less than 15 seconds to remove, empty and reinstall. You'll no longer be one of "those people" who fling hot brass all over the next two stations to your right at the range.

View attachment 77932
That looks a lot like the Midway/Frankfort Arsenal brass catcher I have. I just unzip the bottom and the brass will drop out on the shooting bench right beside the rifle every shot.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That looks a lot like the Midway/Frankfort Arsenal brass catcher I have. I just unzip the bottom and the brass will drop out on the shooting bench right beside the rifle every shot.
I have one from Caldwell and I use it the same way on the bench and only actually catch the brass on hunts. I’ve had mine for years, the brass started burning a hole through the mesh, so I used some spiderwire fishing string and sewed a black patch over the enlarged hole…back in business for another couple years 👍🏼

· Registered
754 Posts
2020 and 2021 I could buy loaded ammo for about same price as empty brass and on a few occasions bought loaded ammo cheaper than brass. Few weeks ago lucked out and found guy who loaded up on 6.8 components, parts for two build plus factory ammo and never built the rifles or loaded any aammo. He had 2,500 matched headstamp once fired cases in the lot which I paid 30 cents each. He had 1,000 rounds of mixed brand factory loaded ammo sold me for 60 cents each, 2,000 mixed brand projectiles at 25 cents each plus deals on primers and powders but had to buy everything including his two build kits.

Good to hear there is new brass in the pipeline but if keep ear to ground lots of 6.8 projects out there that never reached fruition and can buy them up at fair prices especially bigger lots as many find it hard to sell off a big lot to single person and don't want to let others cherry pick off the pieces that make their deal attractive. I try to buy pretty much all I can stand every chance I get. Was going to quit buying factory loaded ammo when it hit 60 cents but wife convinced me to keep buying till it hit 75 cents which she outthought me and glad she did.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts