6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have had Four Roses Single Barrel and for my bourbon pallet Jim Beam is just under $30 a quart with about the same taste.

I prefer Scotch.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I prefer Scotch.
Lol, well there's yer problem, your palate is broken!

I like 4 Roses SB. I liked it better 5-6yrs ago when it was <$30 a fifth. I say it's everything bourbon but more.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol, well there's yer problem, your palate is broken!

I like 4 Roses SB. I liked it better 5-6yrs ago when it was <$30 a fifth. I say it's everything bourbon but more.
Must be a Southern thang! lol!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Must be a Southern thang! lol!
You might be right about that. I like the Islay and Highland Scotchs and then Irish whiskys or even a western Carolina jar of corn squeezens. The Lowland and Spayside Scotches are a bit too earthy with the heavy peat tastes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you're looking for a top shelf Bourbon that won't break the bank give Four Roses Single Barrel, 100 proof a try. Runs about $40 for 750ml. Really smooth, positive reviews and awards.

https://fourrosesbourbon.com/bourbon/single-barrel/
I'll look for it. I am a Buffalo Trace guy before it went Viral. Now you cannot find anything from that distillery unless you know someone with a crooked nose. When I cannot find it or anything from that distillery I usually pick up Larceny, Bullet (Non Rye) or anything else that is AWESOME over ice.

·
Super Moderator
12,219 Posts
Basil Hayden is a nice bourbon. A little more expensive though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
As part of my bucket list, I'm hoping someday I'll get offered a shot of Pappy Van Winkle. I couldn't afford to buy it even if it could be found. I guess 'til then, Woodford Reserve will just have to do!

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
My swill of choice is the Knob Cfreek offerings at Costco as the rye just returned to the shelves last month and the 1.75 literbottle sells for 44.99 and won double gold at the WOW in SF last year. If you did not know, you do not need a membership to buy alcohol at Costco.
My wife bought me a $200 bottle of Kentucky Owl Rye batch #2. That is the best rye I have had yet.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Another great bourbon is Eagle Rare. Similar to Blantons without
the added cost.
Love some Eagle Rare, usually have a bottle of that running. That or Knob Creek is our typical hiking bourbon, provided by the Class Six teammate (he also provides cigars).

Woodford is always a good choice.

I have some Michters's single barrel bourbon that is great but I haven't been able to find it (the one I have was gifted to me).

Booker's is shockingly smooth for 125proof.

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,675 Posts
1835. Texans will get it.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Booker's is shockingly smooth for 125proof.
Smoothness has absolutely nothing to do with the ABV or alcohol by volume/proof of a spirit. It all starts with a proper mashing of the grains to proper temperature control during fermentation as well as cutting the heads and tails out when distilling the mash. Then the smoothness comes from proper aging and conditioning in the oak barrels. The larger 55 gallon barrels take years to age vs my 5 & 10 gallon barrels that are finished in about one year. I set my barrels in my garage here in Sacramento where the summer days heat the would and then the cool nights cause the wood to contract moving the alcohol in and out of the wood's grain imparting oils from the wood to blend with the distilled spirit. Then like wine most spirits get even better with age.
I have come a long way in my distilling career these past 6 years and as well as my product too.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Smoothness has absolutely nothing to do with the ABV or alcohol by volume/proof of a spirit. It all starts with a proper mashing of the grains to proper temperature control during fermentation as well as cutting the heads and tails out when distilling the mash. Then the smoothness comes from proper aging and conditioning in the oak barrels. The larger 55 gallon barrels take years to age vs my 5 & 10 gallon barrels that are finished in about one year. I set my barrels in my garage here in Sacramento where the summer days heat the would and then the cool nights cause the wood to contract moving the alcohol in and out of the wood's grain imparting oils from the wood to blend with the distilled spirit. Then like wine most spirits get even better with age.
I have come a long way in my distilling career these past 6 years and as well as my product too.
Have you gone through the expense to get a distillers license? If not, I wouldn't be broadcasting your exploits in the moonshine arts. Many people think that it is ok to distill spirits for their own use, but are mistaken.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts