6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 3 100-150# boars coming in every night 9:30-10:00. Decided to get a little rest and get up a little after 9 to watch for them. A motion alarm went off about 840. Figured it was deer but decided to get up and check. Well surprise, BIG hog at the feeder. Problem was it was still dusky light and I was set-up to shoot from tripods close up after dark. Decided to try to get to the tripod and take a shot there. Walked slow and checked every 15-20 yards. He was still there. Got to the edge of the tree behind the tripod and could see him through the branches. Got set-up and had to wait for a shot because of a feeder leg. He moved enough and I took the shot. He dropped like a rock squealing loud enough to hear for miles at night! Between the tall grass and the hole they have rooted out I couldn’t see him or get a follow up shot. I knew he was trashing but couldn’t see. I stayed on him and he got up and took off. He made it about 10 feet and I shot him again and he went down to stay. You can see me standing to the right of the tree edge with the big hog down to the right of the feeder. That is about a 35 yard shot.
About 10:30 the alarm went off again. I could see a hog at the same feeder. Grabbed rifle and headed out. Just off the porch I heard them squeal and then run. Knew they didn’t see, smell, or hear me. I think they found the dead hog. The took off but ran the other feeder. I had a tripod set for a shot there also. Eased over and set up. Took the first good broadside shot. Hog down the other 2 ran into the brush. I could still see them but no clear shot. I waited 3-5 minutes and they came out. Hit the third hog and they ran. I heard him crash in the brush. No problem, I’ll find him in the morning. Didn’t find him but didn’t spend a lot of time looking, had to leave for a meeting at 11:00.
The big hog measured at 48”. Not as big as I thought he was. Didn’t bother with the second.
Rifle is a 16” fluted ARP, side charges, IR Hunter MK3, 120 GR SST reloads.
PICT0197.JPG
PICT0198.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5592.JPG
IMG_5585.JPG

·
Registered
508 Posts
Great job! That hog looks like it could feed a stadium. Way to go!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice. I really like my Spypoint for hog hunting. No more running to just see if there are hogs there or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts