6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am rather new to the 6.8mm round but have had great experiences with it. I am also new to the bolt-action realm as most of my time has been with the AR. My question is if the 6.8mm round is a .270 caliber round why couldn't you put a .270 barrel on a .223 action and widen out the bolt face? With the way Savage receivers and barrels are would it be at all feasable? Or is custom barrel still the best way to go. Thanks for any help for a bolt noob.

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
you could but, a 270 barrel will be a 10 twist which isn't optimum for the 6.8. Also depending on the brand or action and the type of extractor used you may or may not be able to open up the bolt face. Dave Kiff at Pacific tool makes 700 bolt bodies to your spec, I have one coming in a 6.8 but it's $130.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh ok that makes sense. Thanks, I'll check him out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, my CZ 527 started life as a lefty .223 and is now a 6.8.

I used a Remington take off 700 stainless barrel that has a 1 in 11" twist. Bolt face opened, 7.62x39 bottom metal and magazinwes used, and barrel at about 19 1/2".

Accuracy and velocity with factory 110 grain loads has been excellent with higher than published speeds (at least by a little).

I think if you really wanted to use the heavier bullets, you would be better served with a faster twist rate, however if I feel I need more bullet weight, I'll go to a .30 caliber round like my .308 or .30-06.

Just my $.02 based ona very handy accurate little rifle I have here that has become one of the ones that will remain in my armory for life.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speaking specifically to the Savage issue: IF you have a short action,(i.e. 223) you can't get a 270 to chamber as the action length is not long enough. You will need a Long action gun. Unless you have an older Savage, when the blocked out the mag well and only built long actions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts