1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is measuring at 0.421. My Hornady brass measures 0.420 at the rim and SSA brass is from 0.414-0.418. My problem has been that Hornady brass often hangs on the bolt face and will not eject. This has never happened with SSA. I belive the diameter of the face on my bolt is undersized. I think it may be time for a new bolt.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Mine is measuring at 0.421. My Hornady brass measures 0.420 at the rim and SSA brass is from 0.414-0.418. My problem has been that Hornady brass often hangs on the bolt face and will not eject. This has never happened with SSA. I belive the diameter of the face on my bolt is undersized. I think it may be time for a new bolt.
I'm looking forward to Constructors response to this.
I got the .4255 off the saami print. I would think it should be .422 on the bolt face too thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
I'm looking forward to Constructors response to this.

I got the .4255 off the saami print. I would think it should be .422 on the bolt face too thinking about it.
That is about right. We try to keep them as small as possible but still leave enough room to let the rim exit when the case leaves at an angle. The problem is the brass keeps changing sizes. SSA was .415 and Hornady .417-.418. now the Hornady is larger, possibly because a new company is producing the brass. The diameter of the bolt face increases or decreases strength of the lug attachment to the web. The first 6.8 bolts in 2005 were huge and the thin web let the lugs break off just like the Grendel bolts. PRI started making them thicker and the breakage stopped.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Duster:

FWIW, I've got an ARP Superbolt as does my Son, and we've been shooting S&B, Hornady 120SST, 110 Match, and American Gunner. Neither of us have had any ejection issues whatsoever....

Is your bolt from ARP?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bolt is one of the older TiN plated ARP bolts. I plan on getting a new Superbolt from ARP when he gets more in stock. Constuctor, do you have a lead time when new ones will be in stock?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
My bolt is one of the older TiN plated ARP bolts. I plan on getting a new Superbolt from ARP when he gets more in stock. Constuctor, do you have a lead time when new ones will be in stock?
We have 5-6000 bolt bodies in stock, some parkerized and some NiB coated. I only add 10 a day to the store to keep from getting over run.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An update, I got my new bolt from ARP yesterday. It measures 0.423. After hand cycling a few rounds, I feel like this is going to resolve the problem. I plan on range testing tomorrow. As a bonus, I can now close the bolt slowly and bump the FA to close the bolt. I could not do this before (only did this when hunting, after getting in the stand).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts