6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any recommendations about upgrading my bolt & Carrier. I've seen videos and read about upgrading, but they were in reference to 5.56mm not the 6.8mm bolt & carrier. So I wanted to pose the question to you guys here as I've always gotten very good input for all my other questions.

Thank you,
Bergie

·
Registered
352 Posts
Has anyone got any recommendations about upgrading my bolt & Carrier. I've seen videos and read about upgrading, but they were in reference to 5.56mm not the 6.8mm bolt & carrier. So I wanted to pose the question to you guys here as I've always gotten very good input for all my other questions.

Thank you,
Bergie
A Nickle Boron(NiB) or Nickle Teflon (NP3) coated carrier is a nice upgrade. Just make sure you buy a nice one. The NiB will discolor after use as a heads up but will still function. The NP3 can wear through after many thousand rounds but is only cosmetic as well. Robar custom can coat your entire BCG you are currently using in NP3 if you so wish.

I personaly like both coatings. Both coatings will reduce the amount of oil or grease you have to put in your upper dramatically. Henceforth your upper will not gunk up with dirt and crud as soon.

ill add that the roller cam pin from P.O.F is a nice addition to any BCG as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Thank you,
Bergie
Your going to get a lot of recommendations from experienced users here...........I'm currently using a NiB carrier with an ARP NiB super bolt. Works flawlessly.

If I were purchasing another, I'd go with a quality Melonite/QPQ Carrier along with an ARP bolt. IMO, the Melonite finish offers easiest cleanup along with the strongest finish.

Another vender here (Bison Armory) has just released the JP 6.8 Enhanced Bolt.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i use Fail Zero carriers and ARP bolts, clean them in my hornady ultra sonic cleaner, dry in my de-humidifier, oil em up and back in they go. NIB is an easy clean up, melonite should be as easy or perhaps even easier

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I use a chrome plated LMT enhanced bolt in a standard carrier. Both clean up easily and with an adjustable gas system I don't get much soot in my upper. But, I tear down and clean every 75 rounds.

-Alexander

·
Registered
249 Posts
Cryptic Coatings offers the lowest friction bolt carrier on the market. I use one along with an AR15 Performance bolt. Cleanup of the carrier involves only a dry paper towel.

NiB is also nice. I just prefer the Cryptic Coatings more. You pay for it though...

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
The only reason I go with NiB BCG's when I build is the ease of cleaning or for cosmetic reasons (like on my slick side 6.5X6.8). Since I shoot many thousands of rounds a year at squirrels the cleaning factor is a plus but, with "drawbacks". Drawbacks? Honestly, after several thousand rounds through my 5.56 squirrel gun, the NiB BCG looks like crap. Stained and discolored. The others I have are getting worse each trip and there's no way to improve or prevent it. I've actually been thinking of changing back to a Melonite or Nitride BCG because the NiB ones are looking so bad. But, since they function just fine and are still easier to clean I won't be "downgrading" any time soon for just cosmetics.

Otherwise, if you have a perfectly good BCG in a rifle that functions good, why "upgrade".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cryptic Coatings offers the lowest friction bolt carrier on the market. I use one along with an AR15 Performance bolt. Cleanup of the carrier involves only a dry paper towel.

NiB is also nice. I just prefer the Cryptic Coatings more. You pay for it though...

I was looking on Cryptics website and don't find any of their BCG's for the 6.8mm. Is it that you have to contact them and ask for one in 6.8mm specifically?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was looking on Cryptics website and don't find any of their BCG's for the 6.8mm. Is it that you have to contact them and ask for one in 6.8mm specifically?
They do not offer bolts for the 6.8. For that, I'd strongly recommend AR15 Performance and no one else.

You can buy a bolt carrier only (without a bolt ) from Cryptic Coatings. A phone call or email might be the most efficient for this. They have historically been very quick via phone and email.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Thank you,
Bergie
Just purchased one of these RCA enhanced blackniteride carriers to match up with my ARP 6.8 Superbolt.

https://rubbercityarmory.com/shop/carrier-only-standard-mass-m16-profile/

Finish is flawless, and hope to have some feedback after a range session next weekend.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not gonna lie though, I'm happy I bought the Cryptic Coatings BCG. It cleans with a dry paper towel if need be.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am currently field testing a Bootleg 4 position adjustable carrier.

The Bootleg adjustable has four settings, (light load, medium, heavy load and suppressed) via a slot head adjustment screw on the bolt that can be adjusted without removing the carrier from the gun.
It has Lithium Isonite coating and appears to be well made.

As of now I have used it on a 16" and a 12.5" barreled 6.8, a 11" 300 whisper and a 16" .556 all with a carbine length buffer tube/spring and it has preformed as advertised; Although, I did have to go to a H2 buffer in 300 Whisper.
I will be testing it on a 20" ARP pending assembly of the 20" upper.

edit: I used an AR15Performance bolt with the 6.8's and mil-spec with the 556 and 300w.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So again I am so appreciative of all the input everyone provided. I purchased a NiB 6.8 9310 superbolt, as well as a cryptic coatings "mystic black" BCG. The cryptic coating BCG was done via phone call as the website states this particular BCG was out of stock. I spoke to a nice lady named Karen, who said they had 1 available and that it hadn't been listed on their website yet. I snatched it up immediately. Once these items arrive I will post pics for those interested.

Thank you again everyone,
Bergie

·
Registered
249 Posts
So again I am so appreciative of all the input everyone provided. I purchased a NiB 6.8 9310 superbolt, as well as a cryptic coatings "mystic black" BCG. The cryptic coating BCG was done via phone call as the website states this particular BCG was out of stock. I spoke to a nice lady named Karen, who said they had 1 available and that it hadn't been listed on their website yet. I snatched it up immediately. Once these items arrive I will post pics for those interested.

Thank you again everyone,
Bergie
You're gonna be so happy. When it arrives, be careful not to drop it out of the netting it is in. It'll slip out. It's that slick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts