6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished putting a 6.8 bolt gun together and thought I would share the details if anyone is trying to do the same.

Rifle was a Remington Model 7 Predator in 223. I sent the bolt to LRI to open up the face and install a M16 extractor and dual electors. I also replaced the follower with one from a 243 Predator.

Mcgowen barrel is a 20" long Remage, 5r, fluted, Remington magnum contour, 11 twist.
So far it's shooting sub moa with my 95 ttsx handloads, and right at moa with 3 different factory loads 120gr sst, 90gr fusion, and 100gr gmx.

With a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 and DNZ mount, it weighs 7lbs 2oz and is 38 1/2" OAL.

This rifle was purpose built for my daughters and nephew to deer hunt with, but I'm definitely going to tote it this fall.
Musical instrument Wood Grey Art Flooring
Netbook Wood Vehicle door Bumper Automotive exterior
Body jewelry Silver Finger Natural material Gas
Slope Font Yellow Grass Rectangle

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That looks awesome. Do you have a breakdown of the costs or is that too sensitive to ask?

Reactions: Tbrowning85

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That's a slick rig.
And those prices might even be slicker.
Congrats!

Reactions: Tbrowning85

·
Registered
362 Posts
Congratulation on a really nice looking & shooting rifle! It is very satisfying when a plan comes together so well. It seems like custom rifles quickly become a shooter's favorite!

The dual ejectors are really perplexing though. I'm still wondering why they are needed on a Remington style action? Is the Model 7 bolt very different from a 700 bolt? I like the M16 extractor mod also. Looks like LRI really knows their "stuff". Some years back I had a 6PPC bench gun built on a Remington 700 SA. The rifle was originally a .308. I found several gunsmiths that would mod the bolt by installing a Sako extractor & silver-solder a reducing ring inside the bolt face. It seemed like this was a standard fix for benchrester's that wanted to use Remington actions. (Just FYI...)

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Great looking rifle ..been considering sending my model 7 to McGowan for a 6.8 conversation. But Im also thinking of a custom built Shaw rifle in 6.8 . Decisions, decisions, decisions .:unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Beautiful rig. I am waiting on a 6.8 bolt gun from Shaw Rifle. I thought seriously about having one built, but it was going to cost the same as a custom rifle; so I elected to go that route. Enjoy the rifle, I think it is a great little cartridge which works well in bolt or semi auto.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally finished putting a 6.8 bolt gun together and thought I would share the details if anyone is trying to do the same.

Rifle was a Remington Model 7 Predator in 223. I sent the bolt to LRI to open up the face and install a M16 extractor and dual electors. I also replaced the follower with one from a 243 Predator.

Mcgowen barrel is a 20" long Remage, 5r, fluted, Remington magnum contour, 11 twist.
So far it's shooting sub moa with my 95 ttsx handloads, and right at moa with 3 different factory loads 120gr sst, 90gr fusion, and 100gr gmx.

With a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 and DNZ mount, it weighs 7lbs 2oz and is 38 1/2" OAL.

This rifle was purpose built for my daughters and nephew to deer hunt with, but I'm definitely going to tote it this fall.
View attachment 76695 View attachment 76696 View attachment 76697 View attachment 76698
now that is a sexy little weapon, good job

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good job!!
I went a different route. Picked up a piece of 6.8 SPC brass at the range?? Never seen one before so I did a little digging. Found "this place" and that got me started on my project.
Lots of AR info but not too much on a bolt gun platform
Didn't want to spend BIG $$$ and not like the round. Ordered up a chambered barrel for my Savage. Went with the SPC rather than the SPC II so I could jam my bullets into the lands.
Had "my man" open up a bolt head to fit the 6.8 case.
Got brass, bullets and dies, loaded up a bunch of ammo so I would be "ready" when the barrel showed up.
I single load so no worries with feeding or extraction. Shoots bug holes from day one.
Started out with the lightest bullets I could get my hands on and will go heavier as the throat wears. FPS? No worries. Not expecting anything to out run it. ;)
Bug holes at 100 yards and pound steel out to 400 + yards. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts