6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the length from my engaged trigger finger to my elbow is exactly 15 inches, I like that bolt gun feel and not cramped up against my shoulder. I eat ramen noodles but have durable functioning weapons, that being said i will pay a little extra no problem (no wife or kids).

Any suggestions a long light and durable buttstock, maybe a spacer system to add to my existing stock thats not too heavy?

thank you

ward

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
LOP for me, measured on the inside of the arm is 14 & 3/4"...A2 stocks work for me

·
Registered
395 Posts
OK, i just measured from the first pad on my finger as if it was on a trigger and measured 15" even(to the crease in my elbow) When shooting an AR I shoot between the first and second knuckle( I seem to shoot better here).
That being said, I have 3 stocks that I've used.
1. Rogers Super Stock. Great fit extended all the way
2. Magpul ACS-L. Longer yet and I have it at the second to longest position. Very good cheek weld and is wide enough on the bottom to be solid when using a rear bag.
3. ACE Skeleton ARFX. First stock i bought because a family member had one and it "seemed" to fit well. It's the shortest stock i've used, and while not uncomfortable another inch wouldn't hurt.

Those are my experiences, good luck.

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
Length of pull on the average factory bolt gun stock is 13.5". Basically the same as an A2 stock. I guess I am confused as to why you would measure to your elbow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Length of pull on the average factory bolt gun stock is 13.5". Basically the same as an A2 stock. I guess I am confused as to why you would measure to your elbow.
I was always told that a well fitted rifle was to be measured with the buttstock on the inside of your elbow and should meet your engaged trigger finger perfectly

thats why I'm asking, I need some length

·
Registered
511 Posts
I know Industry standard LOP is right around 13.25"-13.75" and it's a general length that works okay for a broad range of people, but it's not perfect for every one. Fortunately for most it's close enough and they train themselves to it never knowing otherwise. Unfortunately some of us feel a feel for a length that works better for us and from then on the industry standard feels cramped (or to big). Personally I say what ever feels good to you is what you need, might go against convention, but if the gun is comfortable it's more likely to get used and enjoyed. Like Ward, I've need a longer than standard LOP on most guns.

You don't say what your stock is so don't know what to suggest. Measuring LOP as you did I'm right about the same measurement that you are, give or take 1/4". My first AR-15 had an A2 stock and while it was fun to shoot, it wasn't really enjoyable to shoot because it felt cramped. After adding a buttpad to my Winchester 94 and extending it out to about a 14.25" LOP I realized that I needed a longer LOP to feel comfortable and started noticing the cramped feeling on my other rifles more as well. Searching around I found a 1" spacer for my A2 stocked AR-15 and it made a big difference. New LOP isn't perfect, but it feels a lot better than it did before adding the spacer.

I'm not really sure how you'd measure an AR-15's LOP. For a traditionally stocked rifle it would be trigger face to end of buttpad, but that don't quite seem to work on the AR given the pistol grip and the many trigger variations. Due to this I'm measuring trigger pin to end of buttpad, as this is a pretty well set location on any AR-15 Receiver.

My go to fixed stock is currently the A2 with spacer. LOP on it is right about 14.5 inches. Not sure if I'd want to go longer on a fixed stock, this feels about right for it. I used a DPMS Stock Extender, but it's been discontinued since. Limbsaver, Kick Eez, and a few others make thicker recoil pads that fit the A2 stock and will add an inch or so to the length.

My go to adjustable stock setup is a Vltor A5 buffer system, a Magpul ACS-L and a Magpul Enhanced buttpad. Fully extended it has a 15.5 inch LOP. Shortest is ~11.5" with 7 positions. IIRC when hunting last season I pretty much kept it on 5th position.

If you are using a Mil-spec style collapsible stock there are a few slip on pad options that will add some length and might get you where you need to be. Dad used them for a bit on his AR but it was more for shoulder issues than added length.

EDIT: I looked at your post history and say you have an ACE Skeleton stock, it's a little shorter than the A2 stock. It comes with a 1/2" thick recoil pad, but a 1" thick pad is available. Don't know enough about that stock to know what other pads might fit it.

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
I was always told that a well fitted rifle was to be measured with the buttstock on the inside of your elbow and should meet your engaged trigger finger perfectly

That may be correct, I had never heard that. I know that some Magpul stocks have an optional pad that will give you a little more length, not sure right off which ones.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts

yep, that's what i was always told and shown by my elders long ago. don't know if it's perfect but it's been good enough. perfect would be like those wonky off center bent stocks on high end english made guns

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
I have a 1" butt pad for an A1 or A2 stock if that will help. You are welcome to it. Just drop me a PM.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EDIT: I looked at your post history and say you have an ACE Skeleton stock, it's a little shorter than the A2 stock. It comes with a 1/2" thick recoil pad, but a 1" thick pad is available. Don't know enough about that stock to know what other pads might fit it.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea who you are but if you're ever looking for a job I will find one for you. Thank you for taking the time to reply and stalk me hahahah.

Good deal buddy!!!

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Interesting thing is, most guys here come up with about the same 15" measurement when measured your way.....I run anything from a pistol buffer, to a 4 position carbine stock, to a Rodgers, magpul , to an a2 on my ar's and they all work fine for me...it comes down to preference and adaptability , it's what you feel comfortable with....

the "natural point of aim" and comb height are more important to me than the length of pull....if you have to adjust your head/neck/etc on the stock to see the sights/scope correctly then it's harder to get a consistent cheek weld with that type of stock ..

..i always close my eyes and pull the rifle to the "natural" shooting position, open your eyes and if your not looking at your sights and target correctly then either change your equipment to compensate or train more with the equipment you have until it becomes 2nd nature.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have no idea who you are but if you're ever looking for a job I will find one for you. Thank you for taking the time to reply and stalk me hahahah.

Good deal buddy!!!
On quite a few web forums and people forgetting to mention what they have happens a lot. Usually they've answered the question before in a previous thread and it's not hard to find if you try to look, in your case looked at thread history saw that your intro thread had a picture attached and that answered the question. Had you been here a while with a large post count I wouldn't have tried. Had you been a noob with the standard 101 questions that had been answered 1001 times, I wouldn't have bothered. You had a legitimate question that hasn't been asked a lot (that I've seen) and I've encountered it myself, so wanted to help best I could.

Reason it took so long between post and edit was that I was trying to find a place that still makes the stock extenders. I finally gave up.

If the pad doesn't work out to be long enough, and you want to stick with the Ace stock let me know. I'm thinking about changing up my fixed stock rifle a bit since it's getting a SBR stamp if the ATF ever catches up. I'm probably not going to want the extended length with the short barrel and reflex sight, so I'll either be going to a shorter fixed stock or swapping it out for a carbine stock. Either way I won't need the stock extender anymore and it'd just be occupying space in the gun stuff cabinet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Interesting thing is, most guys here come up with about the same 15" measurement when measured your way.....I run anything from a pistol buffer, to a 4 position carbine stock, to a Rodgers, magpul , to an a2 on my ar's and they all work fine for me...it comes down to preference and adaptability , it's what you feel comfortable with....
Yep that's why I say to heck with the convention. Not every gun is going to have the exact same lop to feel good to you, not even if they are all AR-15s or Mossy pumps. Someone else with your exact same build might like shorter or longer on the same rifle. That's one of the reasons that an AR is so nice, and probably why the military changed to adjustable stocks, it's easy to adapt to the shooter. Build it so it feels and fits good to you.

Try this:

https://www.vltor.com/shop/a5-system/aebk-a5-vltor-a5-stock-combo-kit/

LOP fully extended: 16.15"

You don't have to use their stock and can buy the individual components you need. I like mine. I don't have to fully extend my stock using a magpul stock. Also, if that's not long enough for you, I know magpul has stock spacers available for some of their stocks.
That's te buffer system that I'm running with my Magpul ACS-L. I think their numbers (on Vltor site) are a little generous though. I get the same collapsed length they spec and only extend out to 15.5" when measuring to the same point on the stock. Makes me wander what points they are using to measure.

Thing to note about the A5 system is that the buffer is a system. You don't have to use their stock, but if you want to use their Receiver Extension you've also got to use their buffer and spring, opposite applies also.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
POF has the 7 position buffer tube that is much longer, they say for a 308 but you can use it on an AR15. You just have to use an AR15 rifle buffer and cut down to the correct length.

Also Joe at Smoke Composites will make the stock to any length you want, want 16 inches no problem.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Try this:

https://www.vltor.com/shop/a5-system/aebk-a5-vltor-a5-stock-combo-kit/

LOP fully extended: 16.15"

You don't have to use their stock and can buy the individual components you need. I like mine. I don't have to fully extend my stock using a magpul stock. Also, if that's not long enough for you, I know magpul has stock spacers available for some of their stocks.
That's a nice system, but you have to remember they use a heavier buffer and different rate spring--- I put one of those on my cousins rifle and had to drill out the gas port one size to get it tto cycle correctly (it's like adding an h2 buffer)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes. It may not be idea for all gas systems. It uses a rifle spring and they sell dlifferent weight buffers. I remember reading before I got mine what specific rifle it was designed for but can't remember.

Mine works perfectly on my 16" 30HRT suppressed with adjustable gas block.

edit: I've never measured mine before. From the charge handle to rear of my stock fully expanded is 12"

LOP in shotguns is measured from the trigger to rear of stock. Not sure if it's the same here. On my rifle, I get about 14.5". That does sound generous.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I also need a long LOP. I usually have to add at least an inch on a bolt gun for it to fit right. For the AR, I've been using a standard A2 stock. Its still a touch short, but not a problem with the pistol grip set up in that format. I've been using the A2 kit with standard buffer and spring sold by Rock River Arms.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm 6'6". The ace skeleton stock with the attached rubber recoil pad was too long. Never thought I'd see that. Was ok without the pad.

Now I just use the magpul acs stocks. Those fit like a glove. Sold the ace and bought another acs. No clue how many of the acs I have now. It's definitely my go to stock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.