6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything I have been reading leads me to believe that the 95gr TTSX is the choice one should make for hunting deer. Most of my shots will most likely be within 100 yards. Are one of the bullets actually better for this situation?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I don’t typically use solid copper so I shoot a combo of 110 Nosler Accubond for my 16” and longer barrels and 90 grain Gold Dots for SBR/pistols.

The Accubond planted a quite long range doe for me.

Lots of pills that will work though; one of the nice aspects of the 6.8 for medium sized game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
120 SST is very lethal but is a fragmentation bullet so I don't use it as a meat hunter. 100/110 Nosler AB are very effective and retain their weight well for above average penetration for a lead-core bullet. If you reload, CavityBackBullets.com have a 105/120 MKZ that is the bullet to beat. They are a copper bullet with 3-pedal expansion that causes massive hemoraging and a tri-star wound channel. More info here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
120 SST is very lethal but is a fragmentation bullet so I don't use it as a meat hunter. 100/110 Nosler AB are very effective and retain their weight well for above average penetration for a lead-core bullet. If you reload, CavityBackBullets.com have a 105/120 MKZ that is the bullet to beat. They are a copper bullet with 3-pedal expansion that causes massive hemoraging and a tri-star wound channel. More info here.

So I checked out those mkz bullets OMF!!!

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Xman is correct. The Cavity Back MKZ is hard to beat. I have been so happy with the 6.8 MKZs on hogs that I bought some in .30 cal to load for Elk this season.

AzCasper

·
Registered
41 Posts
I switched from 95 TTSX to CB 105 and never looked back. Every bullet goes straight through leaving a nice silver dollar hole at the exit. Deer seldom take a step.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been using the CBB 120's for a few years now with great results. Can't beat the expansion, I've gotten .65" at 300 yards in gel. I have a box of 105's I've been meaning to do some testing with.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
They're all great bullets. 95TTSX are work awesomely. Nosler 100 & 110 are too. So are CBBs. The heavier bullets carry energy longer to a point. Like the 110 NAB vs 100 NAB.

Basically, "Pick your poison."

Reactions: Javery83

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd be shooting the CBB's if I hadn't already payed an arm and a leg for some Barnes. When they're are gone I'll get an order in with CBB.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I use the 95 TTSX exclusively in all my 6.8's. Hogs, deer and antelope has all made it to my freezer due to the performance of the 95 TTSX from ranges of 50 to 305 yards. My suppressed 12.5" AR-P barrelled SBR is my hunting rig of choice.

Unfortunately I have not recovered a bullet as of today from any game.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have used both the 110 grn TSX and the 95 grn TTSX. Both have worked perfectly but I have been using the 95 more because it shoots flatter and opens more reliably at extended range .That being said, the farthest I have shot anything with it were an antelope @200 yds and last years buck at 240yds. Both DRT with high shoulder shots. I have yet to recover a bullet .I have been wanting to try the 105grn MKZ but have enough 95 TTSX to kill more deer than the law allows for the rest of my life! For shooting varmints and target shooting I have been using the Hornady 110grn V-max. I am amazed how close to the same point of impact these three loads shoot at 200yds.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I shoot the 110 TTSX
The 110 TTSX is designed for .270 Win velocities. The only situation I've seen the 110TTSX work okay in a 6.8mm SPC is when shot from a 1:10 twist barrel. Twist rate measurable effects copper bullet expansion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts