6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Just curious. Since you said you have a Hornady Progressive press, what's wrong with and why not just go with Hornady's 6.8SPC die set? It's what I did. Haven't had an issue one.

· Registered
105 Posts
There are things that Lee definitely scrimps on to make their products as inexpensive as they are (pot metal parts on some of their newer presses for example)... but some of their stuff just works like a champ such as their dies, perfect powder measures, and and older hand primers. I still use my Lee breach lock challenger press and while I did break one of the pot metal linkage parts, the replacement parts were inexpensive too and it still manages to make ammo that I consider match grade. For the $115 I paid for the Challenger kit back in 2013 when I first got into reloading, I feel that I've gotten my moneys worth out of it...

Sure, there are higher quality presses out there... and if you're a buy once cry once sort of guy, there are many other choices out there that will give you years and years of service...but you will pay more. If I had to do it over again, would probably get a different single stage press that offered bushings for quick die change outs like the challenger or hornady's lock n load has. Nowadays, I do most of my reloading on my Hornady progressive Lock n load, but for the smaller one off stuff I do, my Lee press does the job and I don't feel the need to replace it. If you're a weekend plinker who doesn't load that many rounds of ammo a year... it would probably work for you too.

· Registered
19 Posts
Since I'll be shooting from a MSR I picked up the Lyman MSR die set first. As is my practice I quickly followed that up with a Hornady set. I read a rumor that Hornady was discontinuing the 6.8 SPC dies so I figured I'd get a set before the price goes too much higher.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts