6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at starting to reload w/ my 6.8, I already have a Hornady progressive press, but wanted to get feedback on die setups.

I am primarily looking at hunting, so match grade is not required.

What is the best value for die brands for the 6.8?

I personally care about longevity and consistency with price being a big factor. But if there are other important considerations, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Long term investment or just an immediate tool for the job ?

Lee makes a tool for the job and it works and in 2 years it costs half of retail for an R&R .

RCBS is a little more money . Lifetime warranty means forever I guess . I inquired about a 3rd owner size die with a decapping assy I hadn't seen as to it's series . 3 days later I had refit parts to convert the 50 yr old die to current production and a bag of decapping pins .

Redding and Forster are almost twice the cost of RCBS and at my level of skill , use , and target satisfaction I just can't see the difference in cost . Redding CS is every bit as good as RCBS .

CH offers a custom fit die to match your chamber for about the same price as Redding shelf dies .

For my money in new tools RCBS . If Redding , CH , or Forster happen along at a show at the RCBS price I'll buy them .

Value is in the eye of the buyer . If you are leaning towards match level shooting then the more expensive "better quality" might be a better value for you . If .750" ctc 100 yd groups are good enough for hog killing then RCBS is enough.
Thanks for the insights- I've heard good things about RCBS- but with some dies in other calibers some die companies have little specializations that I think are kind of gimmicky, but could be useful.

For hog hunting- it sounds like RCBS is probably a good option.

As a follow up question- is a crimping die needed for the 6.8?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts