6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at starting to reload w/ my 6.8, I already have a Hornady progressive press, but wanted to get feedback on die setups.

I am primarily looking at hunting, so match grade is not required.

What is the best value for die brands for the 6.8?

I personally care about longevity and consistency with price being a big factor. But if there are other important considerations, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Long term investment or just an immediate tool for the job ?

Lee makes a tool for the job and it works and in 2 years it costs half of retail for an R&R .

RCBS is a little more money . Lifetime warranty means forever I guess . I inquired about a 3rd owner size die with a decapping assy I hadn't seen as to it's series . 3 days later I had refit parts to convert the 50 yr old die to current production and a bag of decapping pins .

Redding and Forster are almost twice the cost of RCBS and at my level of skill , use , and target satisfaction I just can't see the difference in cost . Redding CS is every bit as good as RCBS .

CH offers a custom fit die to match your chamber for about the same price as Redding shelf dies .

For my money in new tools RCBS . If Redding , CH , or Forster happen along at a show at the RCBS price I'll buy them .

Value is in the eye of the buyer . If you are leaning towards match level shooting then the more expensive "better quality" might be a better value for you . If .750" ctc 100 yd groups are good enough for hog killing then RCBS is enough.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I agree with value of accuracy for the money and customer service considered that RCBS will probably fit your needs.

I've had similar CS experience as Harter.

They also have a pretty good service discount program.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Long term investment or just an immediate tool for the job ?

Lee makes a tool for the job and it works and in 2 years it costs half of retail for an R&R .

RCBS is a little more money . Lifetime warranty means forever I guess . I inquired about a 3rd owner size die with a decapping assy I hadn't seen as to it's series . 3 days later I had refit parts to convert the 50 yr old die to current production and a bag of decapping pins .

Redding and Forster are almost twice the cost of RCBS and at my level of skill , use , and target satisfaction I just can't see the difference in cost . Redding CS is every bit as good as RCBS .

CH offers a custom fit die to match your chamber for about the same price as Redding shelf dies .

For my money in new tools RCBS . If Redding , CH , or Forster happen along at a show at the RCBS price I'll buy them .

Value is in the eye of the buyer . If you are leaning towards match level shooting then the more expensive "better quality" might be a better value for you . If .750" ctc 100 yd groups are good enough for hog killing then RCBS is enough.
Thanks for the insights- I've heard good things about RCBS- but with some dies in other calibers some die companies have little specializations that I think are kind of gimmicky, but could be useful.

For hog hunting- it sounds like RCBS is probably a good option.

As a follow up question- is a crimping die needed for the 6.8?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I don't but the RCBS does .

Just as a quantification/qualification, I have and use dies made by CH , Bonanza, Forster , for Herters , Hornady , Lachmiller , Lee , Lyman, Pacific, RCBS , Redding , so it's not like I'm hung up on brand loyalty

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
If you decide to crimp, do it as a separate operation, not at the same time as seating. Many of us like the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD).

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It’s always a good idea to crimp AR rounds . Crimp stops possibility of bullets moving forward because of kenetic energy when chambered , crimping stops bullet set back and crimping mak up for some difference in neck tension which helps keep ignition and pressure equal from shot to shot . You can buy Lee dies that come with a collet crimp die or b someone else’s dies and a Lee crimp die separately but as others have mentioned ,don’t use the roll crimp feature made into seating dies . Lee crimp is the way to go .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've been very satisfied with RCBS, as others have stated. I've also used Hornady and personally like the Hornady slightly over the RCBS. Either will suit your needs just fine.

Reactions: dfleury

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a Redding set for my 25-45 Sharps that I bought from SRC when I built the rifle. They were more expensive than most RCBS dies but that was the brand they had in stock. All other calibers I have, pistol and rifle, are RCBS. For the money and the quality of dies and service, I don't think you could go wrong with RCBS.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I started with a Lee Loader, but didn't keep it long. RCBS Rock Chucker and RCBS dies were used for many years. I added a Dillon 550 the loading bench later.
I traded the RCBS press to my brother for a TREK bicycle, then gave the bicycle to a co worker with two young boys so he could ride bikes with them. I had an itch for a Forster Co-Ax press, and got one. My die selection includes Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Reddding, Hornady and Forster.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My die selection includes Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Reddding, Hornady and Forster.
Lee 4 hole Turret Press and a Rock Chucker Supreme. We have Lee Die sets and plates for every cartridge we own. They are economical to get started with, and fast to load. Pretty accurate too. We also have assorted RCBS, Redding, Hornady, and Forster dies all are rifle dies. No Lyman at all, and only 2 Hornady. RCBS do a good job.

Redding and Forster are probably what we will continue to upgrade to whenever we do. We'll always get a Lee die set and plate for every new cartridge when when we add one. Next in line is the 6.8 Western.

When I retire I could see getting a Dillon and casting/pc to really get into higher production quantities for gkids at the range.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the insights- I've heard good things about RCBS- but with some dies in other calibers some die companies have little specializations that I think are kind of gimmicky, but could be useful.

For hog hunting- it sounds like RCBS is probably a good option.

As a follow up question- is a crimping die needed for the 6.8?
I dont think so, but that being said I always use Lee factory crimp die on everything I load.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking at starting to reload w/ my 6.8, I already have a Hornady progressive press, but wanted to get feedback on die setups.

I am primarily looking at hunting, so match grade is not required.

What is the best value for die brands for the 6.8?

I personally care about longevity and consistency with price being a big factor. But if there are other important considerations, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
I literally wore out a lee progress press ..many of the parts are from a zinc die cast and some people call pot metal. I load at least several thousand rounds of various calibers annually and the lee just didn’t hold…you get what you pay for

·
Registered
5 Posts
I literally wore out a lee progress press ..many of the parts are from a zinc die cast and some people call pot metal. I load at least several thousand rounds of various calibers annually and the lee just didn’t hold up . The dies however have been decent and I’ve several hundred rounds of 6.8 with them. you get what you pay for
I’m currently using a Lyman turret and my shooting buddy uses a hornady progressive and a single stage press

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Lee three die set comes with a full length sizing die, bullet seating die, factory crimp die, shell holder, powder dipper, instructions to setup each die respectively, case dimensions and load data. You get a lot of bang for your buck. NPI 😁 I’ve used the Lee three die set since I started reloading for the 6.8 SPC. I load for two different rifles and have developed some very accurate loads using them. IMOP I don’t think I could do any better with another brand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use Redding and RCBS dies and a Lee crimp die. Any will do. I use a Redding turret press and I have an old bonanza press. They all work well. Those pigs really don’t care either.
Good Luck, measure twice, look in Every case before you seat a bullet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have RCBS, Hornandy, and Redding. Of course, my anal OCD tendencies led me to buy all of the aforementioned dies, finally settling on a Redding Type S full length sizing die, with SAC bushings, and using a 21st century expander mandrel, seating with the RCBS seating due.

Don’t be me. It’s expensive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts