6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed my February Texas hog hunt this past year, and was wondering what was the best time of year to hunt hogs.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Anytime I get a chance to is best for me. Sometimes the chiggers , mosquitoes, and snakes, are bad but I don't let that stop me.
I fixed it for ya

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Actually, some of my best times have been when the chiggers, mosquitoes and snakes have been at their worst. The mosquitoes are the only ones that I give credit to, but they bother the pigs too and can keep them moving when they might otherwise be sleeping the day away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went to school in Austin many years ago. Used to go bass fishing at area lakes.

My sisters visited one year, and I took them fishing. We got into some chiggers that day.

Chiggers + girls = bad. They like elastic edges of undergarments.

In fact, it was bad enough that if i had to choose between a day of shooting in chigger country in chigger season vs cleaning up my office, I'd pick the office. :D

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
For me the best times are from January-May really Jan-early April before spring is in full bloom when the deer hunters are gone, its still cold, and food is not plentiful. Only thing that tops that is the week of planting, and the week of harvest for the different crops.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I know all about them Texas chiggers. My brother in law wanted to take a hog to get butchered at this farm.
I'm thinking chiggers and wear long pants, he wears shorts. Farmer tells us to put hog in pen that had grass about
3 feet high. Next morning I wake up digging. He comes out to the kitchen, his legs had welts all over. I only
had a few. That was enough for me. Never forgot. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
The best thing for chiggers is sulphur powder. I keep an old sock filled with sulphur powder in a zip lock bag in my truck,anytime I go out in the field I pat the sock on my boots,and lower pants legs. Never have chiggers on me anymore,plus it will also keep ticks and skeeters off of you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The best thing for chiggers is sulphur powder. I keep an old sock filled with sulphur powder in a zip lock bag in my truck,anytime I go out in the field I pat the sock on my boots,and lower pants legs. Never have chiggers on me anymore,plus it will also keep ticks and skeeters off of you.
Where do you get sulfer powder?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I use permetherin on my clothes. It works for chiggers, ticks and mosquitoes. Is oderless and last 6 washings.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I use permetherin on my clothes. It works for chiggers, ticks and mosquitoes. Is oderless and last 6 washings.
Ditto on that, I buy the stuff by the case when I see a sale. I have never got a tick or chigger when I had cloths properly treated. I watched a tick on my pant leg one day and he looked like he was on a hot skillet, he was trying to keep all his legs off the fabric at the same time. One of the best times I ever had for hogs, was I think in May or maybe early June, I saw about a 100 a day for three days straight, all in the day time. I had never seen a tick or chigger on that place, so I didn't bother to treat my cloths with permethrin, I was covered, I had been crawling through the grass on stalks and I had chiggers on every part of my body from the neck down! Since then I figured out that, chiggers and ticks are both related to lice, so I started buying the large bottles of head lice shampoo at Wally world and if I suspect I have been exposed to chiggers and ticks, I use the shampoo as a body wash. Scrub my whole body down with it, I haven't had a tick or chigger since I started doing that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts