6.8 SPC Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
My primary 6.8 hunting rifle sports a Vortex Viper PST 1-6x24mm. It is an excellent all around scope. When hunting in Wyoming’s Black Hills one can step from tight cedar, black timber or brush to a rim rock view for miles. Having the ability to run from a true 1 power to 6 is valuable. (1x4 works too.) shots from 20 feet out to 300 yds are equally common. Every aspect of the scope works well. The concept of using glass that gets down to 1x and can be used as a red dot sight has proven itself.

My forty year old Ruger #1, 3006 still wears the same forty year old Leopold 4x32mm. The simplicity of a fixed power has merits. Constant and reliable. Always works, always the same. I have never seen a lost opportunity from a medium fixed power. I have seen many lost opportunities from hunters with variables set too high and having an elk or muley explode from cover. They only saw fur and cannot track the moving animal. I’ve been careful with it but after thousands of rounds, ATV travel, slips and falls that Leopold has lasted. Warranty? LOL. The warranty is it has never failed. Leopold is IMHO a fine choice.

I had to return a brand new Nikon 3x9 two years ago. They fixed an O-ring. It was gone for a couple of months but it came back OK. It is a good scope overall. I doubt I will choose Nikon again.

Also, like many others here, I try hard to not buy Chinese made goods. I don’t like the idea of rewarding a totalitarian regime that wants America gone.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My eldest presented me with a Leupold "Freedom" 1.5-4×20 w/Pig Plex reticle.
Shoots as good as it looks.

Saying anything bad about the scope is looking a gift horse in the mouth! LOL!

When it's dialed up to 4× for shots, especially on targets, the reticle is a bit heavy for "precision" work.
For deer, it works just fine.
I'm not going to shoot over 200/250 yards anyway.
Nothing wrong with my equipment, I'm just not the shot (shooter?) I used to be.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts