6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone tried Swampfox optics? They've got some really attractive pricing on their glass. I'm currently running a leupold 2-7x33 on one of my 6.8s and a holosun red dot on the other.

Edited to add I hunt with the leupold. It's been a good scope and has taken several deer. All inside 150 yds. The red dot is just for fun.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Now you have me second guessing myself. I just got a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36. I was on the fence about the 1-5x24.
I had one of those on my 6.8spc, and thought it was a great match, but moved it over to a Ruger #1 in 338WM. I put on a Vortex Diamondback 2-7 and that works fine.

I recently got a SWFA 2-10 ultralight scope for a 5.56 AR and really liking that scope. I think I may get another for the 6.8spc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the new strike eagle. Also a fan of the Primary Arms 1-6 and 1-8 in that price point. Nothing wrong with a simple 3-9 for hunting shorter distances either. Alot of options out there, for me it usually comes down to it if I like the reticle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First off, I generally spend around $100 or so for scopes. For my purposes, better more expensive glass isn't needed. I currently have a Bushnell (don't remember the model off the top of my head) that is a 2x7 magnification. I agree that 2x7 magnification is the sweet spot for the 6.8 for deer hunting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Currently I'm running a Leupy VX-R 2-7x. I do have a 1-6x Strike Eagle but it seems rather big and bulky. Most of the hunting bolt guns I have wear 3-9x scopes. Considering where I hunt (way back in the thick stuff) I feel the 2-7x gives me more than enough for PID and shots. Where I am, I doubt I'd have to shoot over 100 yards; most of my shots are probably under 50 feet. I guess I tend to go the opposite route from the previous poster. I would say I put at least 1/2 the cost of the gun into the scope and maybe more. If rifle is $1k, I put probably $500 towards the optic. I learned the hard what when I bought my first hunting rifle and could only afford a Simmons scope. Thing didn't last 1 hunting season.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Currently I'm running a Leupy VX-R 2-7x. I do have a 1-6x Strike Eagle but it seems rather big and bulky. Most of the hunting bolt guns I have wear 3-9x scopes. Considering where I hunt (way back in the thick stuff) I feel the 2-7x gives me more than enough for PID and shots. Where I am, I doubt I'd have to shoot over 100 yards; most of my shots are probably under 50 feet. I guess I tend to go the opposite route from the previous poster. I would say I put at least 1/2 the cost of the gun into the scope and maybe more. If rifle is $1k, I put probably $500 towards the optic. I learned the hard what when I bought my first hunting rifle and could only afford a Simmons scope. Thing didn't last 1 hunting season.
I think you are right on the money. That 2-7 would still put a shot out to 500 easy. I dont think I would be comfortable ballistically any farther than that anyway. But up close you will have a great field of view. Son missed a shot on a deer yesterday because he had the scope set at 8 power and deer walked in at 40 yards. I dont think he ever even saw him in the scope :cry:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a Ruger Ranch Rifle / Mini 6.8 SPC, so does my son. We put an under $100 Simmons on it, zeroed it and got really good groups.......for a couple days, but the recoil of the Garand action basically shook it to death. My next scope will be the Leupold VX or VXi. The Leupold is supposedly made to handle that type of hammering. The olny issue I have with it is some of their reticle's, although I do like the Tri-MOA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I must have good luck with scopes. The majority of my scopes cost between $50-$90 and I have only had one scope ever fail me. It was a $29.99 bargain basement Redhead brand scope I got at Bass Pro and put on a muzzleloader. One of the reticles came loose in it. The others are Bushnell, Simmons, Barska, and BSA. These have been on .30-06, .308, 7mm-08, 6.8 SPC, .223/5.56, 350 Legend, .44 magnum lever action rifle, and .50 caliber muzzleloaders. I don't shoot these guns and scopes every week or hundreds of times each outing or anything but usually 2-5 times a year at about 20-50 rounds a session and any additional rounds shot while hunting. Scopes have never failed me in any way (save the Redhead one). Zero is always maintained and consistent. Magnification ring is smooth and works consistently. I will say that the vast majority of my hunting shots are 100 yards and less and the longest shot I have ever attempted at game was 248 yards. The farthest I shoot targets at is 300 yards on occasion. So for a hunting scope for my purposes these less expensive scopes fit the bill just fine. Now, if I was routinely shooting big game at 400 or 500 yards or prairie dogs or coyotes at those distances or farther or was a benchrest rifle competitor trying to shoot the smallest groups possible or hit something at 1000 yards, I would not use the scopes I do and spend a whole lot more money for a scope. But I don't need a $500 Leupold scope (or any other brand that cost that much or more) on my (relatively) inexpensive deer rifle to hit a deer's 8" vital area at 100 yards or less. I realize some will disagree with this philosophy and that's ok. To each his own.

·
Registered
211 Posts
But I don't need a $500 Leupold scope (or any other brand that cost that much or more) on my (relatively) inexpensive deer rifle to hit a deer's 8" vital area at 100 yards or less. I realize some will disagree with this philosophy and that's ok. To each his own.
Leupold has several scopes under $300, but you are correct, they can be expensive. As are many other scopes out there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A brand that doesn't seem to get a lot of pub that I've always found to be good performers are the upper end weaver scopes. They give good bang for the buck. I don't have any on ARs but do have one on a bolt rifle. It's a super slam Japanese glass under $400. The grand slam 2-8x36 I believe is also made in japan. Can be had for under $300.

Edited to add: ATK who owns weaver apparently decided to discontinue weaver scope production late summer 2019 since they own 3 other scope companies. Some report they no longer honor the lifetime warranty the scopes came with.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I used to buy cheap scopes since funds for scopes were rather scarce. The firearm and ammo took priority. I never had a cheap Bushnell failure, but the glass was not that good. I eventually bought my first Leupold, a fixed power M6 model for around $200 many years ago, which was a lot of money for a scope, to me. It still rides my 444 Marlin very well and has held adjustment for as many years. You can buy cheap and get less quality, not only in durability but glass clarity. You don't have to spend $500 since $300 will get you a very nice Leupold scope. I have the same to say for Redfield Revolution scopes, made by Leupold basically, but they have ceased production.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I put a VX3i 3.5-10 on both my daughter's 16" and my 18" and I could not be happier. Generally weighs slightly less than the Vortex (which my brother has and he loves, do not recall which model). Optics Planet will often have sales for this scope and sometimes include the Leupold mounts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
May look at riton. They are veteran owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just put a RITON X3 TACTIX 1X8X24 on a new build and love it. I was looking at either a Burris RT6, or a Vortex Strike eagle and I have been very happy with my choice. YMMV.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anyone have experience with the Truglow 1x6x24? Recieved one as a gift so need to try it out. It came with a mount, seems a little heavy. Glass is bright and illuminated reticle shows up pretty well. Gotta put some rounds down range and and check it out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Been using a red dot on this build, but some magnification will be nice in the deer stand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Scopes, doesn't that take the fun out of it. Well, I guess if you have to eat. I would rather just use my Tacticon red dot up to a 100 yards. I do have another 6.8 with a scope, but that one is much heavier.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts