6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking in consideration the possibility of Billary being elected again, I am thinking buying a few primers would be a good idea.

Which supplier has the least expensive small rifle primers ? Academy has primers for $3.99 all sizes.

Do you expect the panic buying to increase if Billary is in the White House?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Taking in consideration the possibility of Billary being elected again, I am thinking buying a few primers would be a good idea.

Which supplier has the least expensive small rifle primers ? Academy has primers for $3.99 all sizes.

Do you expect the panic buying to increase if Billary is in the White House?
I saw an ad for S&B primers the other day for $24/1000, no mag primers though, and I can't remember where I saw the ad

edit: here you go, get them before they are all gone, but buy in bulk to offset the shipping/hazmat fees:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/sell..._l=Header%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=primers

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I usually try Powder Valley first, thy usually have the best prices and stock

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Next I look at Wideners mostly for comparison

https://www.wideners.com/

I will also take a look at ammoseek

http://ammoseek.com/reloading/primers

To maximize the shipping and haz mat fee I will order as many as I can for a single order without adding another haz mat fee. Which can be expensive, but getting fellow reloaders in your area to get in on the order makes it easier.

If you keep a rolling stock of your favorite components you will never have to worry about a shortage, I stock enough components to support my shooting for 2 years. Once a component runs low I will restock back to the 2 year mark when the price is right, this is a large initial investment however you are never left chasing components and have the ability to wait for a good deal to come around then restock.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Texas Hog Man and Wassman many thanks. Several sources I was not aware of. And the rolling stock idea is a good one.

Do you do anything to keep primers and powder from ruined?

Here on the Gulf coast, humidity is normally above 85%.....and we had almost two solid weeks of rain humidity went up to 150%(joke joke...but the mosquitoes weren't)

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Texas Hog Man and Wassaman many thanks. Several sources I was not aware of. And the rolling stock idea is a good one.

Do you do anything to keep primers and powder from ruined?

Here on the Gulf coast, humidity is normally above 85%.....and we had almost two solid weeks of rain humidity went up to 150%(joke joke...but the mosquitoes weren't)
keep them cool and dry---I've had some powder/primers for 25+ years and they show no signs of decline ....manufactures do have a "suggested" shelf life, but I'm not sure what it is

my dad had powder in cardboard and tin canisters from his grandfather that he gave to me when I started reloading, I wouldn't use those powders for precision loading, but they still work to this day just fine for my plinking loads.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
How many primers will fit into a .50 cal ammo can with a dessicant pack?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
How many primers will fit into a .50 cal ammo can with a dessicant pack?
a few, only problem with that is that powders and primers should not be kept in "sealed" metal containers, IF all the stars lined up and conditions were perfect, under intense heat/flame, they could actually explode rather than burn----if you want to store larger amounts of powders or primers I would suggest a powder "magazine" designed specifically for that purpose --- such as this :
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lockable-Powder-Storage-Container/740225.uts

there actually is criteria for powder storage (we have gone through this before) :
The storage of gun powder is regulated by the explosives act, r.S.C. 1990. you may keep a maximum of 12 kg. In a dwelling if it in a suitable container. this is specified to be a box of 3/4 inch thick wood, no ferrous fittings (use brass, bronze, or glue), be locked and labeled as explosives, and only 2 kg. Can be out of the box at any one time to be used. this means that when you are finished reloading you must return the unused powder to the locked box. the ministry of energy mines and resources recommends that anyone who contravenes this be charged under the criminal code with unsafe storage of ammunition. to the ministry there is no distinction between black powder and smokeless powder. primers are to be similarly stored

not sure anyone has been charged with "unsafe ammunition storage" before that I have head of though... best thing is to just make sure you and your family are safe in the event of a fire

12kg is about 26 pounds ---oops :a32:--- so in theory that cabalas "magazine that holds 50 pounds is in theory more than can be legally stored in your home---- there are some different regulations when it comes to retail stores that sell it though, I can't tell you those regs--- it also comes down to what your local regulations are as some fire districts have different regulations --- there are also DOT regulations for flammables too, some argue that DOT has no regulation over your dwelling though---- it's all a gray area if you ask me, so just be safe

I surely would never store more than 12kg of powder at my dwelling :a26:-- as I always obey every and any regulations and laws

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Powder Valley prices are the same today as they have been in the past, just bought some Large Rifle Primers and some powder from them.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I just keep mine inside the a/c away from direct sunlight. Been storing them like that for years without issues, however I moved my reloading (except tumbling) to inside my home office. Work on one side reloading on the other.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
About 9k in a 50 can only 6 k in a 30. I've never had that many all at once though . I've stacked in 38 and 45 Colts in the same sized boxes as CCI primers.

Nachez has a sale on Winchester primers now 28 vs 34/1k .

The code reads "a cabinet of nominal 1 inch lumber with a vent or blowout wall" . Reno Nv allows 32# per cabinet separated by 50 ft or 25 ft separated by a fire wall . (Defined in a really complicated way).
Sparks has a 50# limit per cabinet. They share a city limit.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
a few, only problem with that is that powders and primers should not be kept in "sealed" metal containers, IF all the stars lined up and conditions were perfect, under intense heat/flame, they could actually explode rather than burn----if you want to store larger amounts of powders or primers I would suggest a powder "magazine" designed specifically for that purpose --- such as this :
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lockable-Powder-Storage-Container/740225.uts

there actually is criteria for powder storage (we have gone through this before) :
The storage of gun powder is regulated by the explosives act, r.S.C. 1990. you may keep a maximum of 12 kg. In a dwelling if it in a suitable container. this is specified to be a box of 3/4 inch thick wood, no ferrous fittings (use brass, bronze, or glue), be locked and labeled as explosives, and only 2 kg. Can be out of the box at any one time to be used. this means that when you are finished reloading you must return the unused powder to the locked box. the ministry of energy mines and resources recommends that anyone who contravenes this be charged under the criminal code with unsafe storage of ammunition. to the ministry there is no distinction between black powder and smokeless powder. primers are to be similarly stored

not sure anyone has been charged with "unsafe ammunition storage" before that I have head of though... best thing is to just make sure you and your family are safe in the event of a fire

12kg is about 26 pounds ---oops :a32:--- so in theory that cabalas "magazine that holds 50 pounds is in theory more than can be legally stored in your home---- there are some different regulations when it comes to retail stores that sell it though, I can't tell you those regs--- it also comes down to what your local regulations are as some fire districts have different regulations --- there are also DOT regulations for flammables too, some argue that DOT has no regulation over your dwelling though---- it's all a gray area if you ask me, so just be safe

I surely would never store more than 12kg of powder at my dwelling :a26:-- as I always obey every and any regulations and laws
But that 300 gallon propane tank sitting outside the bedroom is just fine. :a32: And we can't forget the smaller tanks and bottles and the half filled 5 gallon cans of gas in the storage shed.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also remember the spray paint cans, charcoal lighter fluid, wd40 and other assorted aerosol cans that are flammable.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well after a few days of good informative input from my fellow members, it appears that currently the best online price is Cabellas at $25 per thousand.
However, being a small buyer, very small buyer, Cabellas has a hazardous charge of $20 plus a $6 handling charge which puts the smallest package at $51.

Looks like I will be buying the local Academy primers at $4 + .32 cents tax per 100. Maybe I will splurge and get TWO packs....lol.

Until I win the Mega Millions Lottery which is at 225 million lump sum. Then I will go big time and buy TWO thousand from Cabellas. :a21:

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
think of it as, you cant afford to buy in small lots, you will save more in the long run
when you win the Mega Millions Lottery which is at 225 million lump sum, then you can afford to buy only 1 or 2 at a time

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Buy what you can afford now, come October and November, it won't be on the shelves. Don't be the guy looking then when he could have bought and stocked up now.

·
Registered
878 Posts
66FLAT gives you $5 shipping. I have a Cabelas visa and so I used the meager club points that I had built up which saved me a little on the hazmat so I went ahead an placed an order. Giving some thought to the political landscape. Regardless of who wins in Nov. the prices of components rarely get much lower and the S&B primers looked like a good deal. 10K for roughly $280

1 - 20 of 23 Posts